You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Recommend Me Some Music Artists I Should Be Listening To (Because I'm Crap)

Anubis

On 19/12/2023 at 11:30, Mook said:

What in the name of Christ are you on about?

My point was you don't need a time machine to listen to older music because it was recorded for posterity.

I was speaking about the time,the decades,if you like as Anubis was asking for musical recommendations which are often grouped into decades on my Spotify. Hence pre 2000 and as far back as he'd like to go. Those covers that bands like the Beatles and Stones recorded obviously fell into the same decade or previous ones of course.

3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I was speaking about the time,the decades,if you like as Anubis was asking for musical recommendations which are often grouped into decades on my Spotify. Hence pre 2000 and as far back as he'd like to go. Those covers that bands like the Beatles and Stones recorded obviously fell into the same decade or previous ones of course.

Nobody needs a time machine though.

They just need access to the recordings.

On 19/12/2023 at 10:01, Jose Jones said:

Yeah I had a look at that the other day. I quite like a few of those, but it’s not been a vintage year for great albums.

That PJ Harvey album for example wouldn’t get close to her top 5 records. Grian Chatten’s album was quite good, but not as good as the three Fontaines DC albums.

If you like a bit of girl disco, I really liked Silver by Say She She (terrible name).

Brain Worms by RVG pretty good indie from Melbourne.

It's just the leaden dullness that gets me. The top 10 is practically wall-to-wall female singer songwriters. They're either boring minimalist meanderings (Lana Del Ray, Mitski), boring autotuned pop (Jessie Ware, Caroline Polachek) or annoying autotuned pop which sounds like Mickey Mouse is singing (Amaarae, Yaeji). There's nothing interesting about them, the pop stuff often sounds like it was made by an AI, and the concentration on the utterly banal lyrics is risible. Maybe I'm just too old now, but most of this wouldn't sound out of place on Primark FM or in an elevator in Top Shop.

I am utterly, utterly obsessed by The National and they would be my recommendation. They'll come across a bit "sad dad" and I know they're a bit melancholic for some but the musicianship (particularly the drumming) and songwriting are really something. Start with the three album run from 2004 to 2010 of 'Alligator', 'Boxer' and 'High Violet' and go from there. The two albums preceding those three are ok but show a band finding their sound - 2003's 'Cherry Tree EP'shows a marked progression and a leap in their output. The albums post HV are all worth your while too but it will make more sense to hear the evolution from earlier records first. 

I promise you they're worth the investment, whilst there are some standout tracks and singles, The National are a band that still create albums as a whole piece, their songs will grow on you, stay with you and you'll find yourself loving a new song or album on phases.

9 hours ago, Mudface said:

It's just the leaden dullness that gets me. The top 10 is practically wall-to-wall female singer songwriters. They're either boring minimalist meanderings (Lana Del Ray, Mitski), boring autotuned pop (Jessie Ware, Caroline Polachek) or annoying autotuned pop which sounds like Mickey Mouse is singing (Amaarae, Yaeji). There's nothing interesting about them, the pop stuff often sounds like it was made by an AI, and the concentration on the utterly banal lyrics is risible. Maybe I'm just too old now, but most of this wouldn't sound out of place on Primark FM or in an elevator in Top Shop.

I feel much the same, must be an age thing!

Whilst I still love discovering the odd new band (or old band I'd never come across, IE Destroyer)  I've become content in knowing what my tastes are. I still buy records, but not as many since the little one arrived and I'm quite particular about parting with my money! I tend to buy stuff by artists I already like with the odd foray in to something new. I've been filling gaps in my CD collection with second hand eBay and charity shops purchases and diving in to the music of New Orleans (itself a broad catch-all genre).

Hence, I'm stuck in a snapshot of myself from about 10 years ago, perpetually listening to The National, Sufjan Stevens, QOTSA, Sigur Ros, Jimmy Eat World, Sharon van Etten, Bon Iver, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, etc, etc.

Yeah, that might seem a bit dull and predictable but I got off the "Spotify Shuffle" merry go round a few years ago, instead investing my time and money in to full length albums again.

I listen to full albums on Spotify and find that it then makes some interesting recommendations of other albums. I’ve listened to loads of new stuff through that.

Also was just listening to The Fall version of “Hark the Herald Angels Sing” (recommended, also We wish you a Protein Christmas).

Shame the record companies keep the vast majority of the royalties though.

5 hours ago, Karl_b said:

I am utterly, utterly obsessed by The National and they would be my recommendation. They'll come across a bit "sad dad" and I know they're a bit melancholic for some but the musicianship (particularly the drumming) and songwriting are really something. Start with the three album run from 2004 to 2010 of 'Alligator', 'Boxer' and 'High Violet' and go from there. The two albums preceding those three are ok but show a band finding their sound - 2003's 'Cherry Tree EP'shows a marked progression and a leap in their output. The albums post HV are all worth your while too but it will make more sense to hear the evolution from earlier records first. 

I promise you they're worth the investment, whilst there are some standout tracks and singles, The National are a band that still create albums as a whole piece, their songs will grow on you, stay with you and you'll find yourself loving a new song or album on phases.

Excellent band, but the live versions can leave the studio versions sounding a bit tame sometimes, particularly in terms of the vocals -  Eucalyptus being a strong case in point. 

Also, would love to see them throw off the shackles a bit and make something a little louder/faster again. Hopefully the last track of the latest album is a hint of things to come in that regard.