You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Recommend Me Some Music Artists I Should Be Listening To (Because I'm Crap)

Anubis

Good citizens of TLW.

I come to you as an audio ignoramus, who has just purchased a portable music player and subscribed to TIDAL.

I have never habitually listened to music, but am in need of relaxation and moving away from spending time on the interweb. I like classical and blues, and am well versed in same, but know the square root of fuck all about other genres. 

So, who are the contemporary music artists I should be experimenting with. For a frame of reference I dislike everything I've ever heard on the radio from Coldplay, but really liked the Bond song Billie Eilish did?

So, any recommendations?

Difficult really mate without knowing the type of music you’re looking for. It looks like Coldplay are not your thing but you’re looking at something relatively current. “The National” who have been around for quite a good while in fairness are decent and easy to listen to, see-if they’re anywhere near what you like. Plus the singer looks like Klopp

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Good citizens of TLW.

I come to you as an audio ignoramus, who has just purchased a portable music player and subscribed to TIDAL.

I have never habitually listened to music, but am in need of relaxation and moving away from spending time on the interweb. I like classical and blues, and am well versed in same, but know the square root of fuck all about other genres. 

So, who are the contemporary music artists I should be experimenting with. For a frame of reference I dislike everything I've ever heard on the radio from Coldplay, but really liked the Bond song Billie Eilish did?

So, any recommendations?

Maybe try test yourself and go outside if your comfort zone? If you've a decent set of headphones try listening to 'Boards of Canada' and see if it lights any fires within you. The whole Electronica genre can be challenging but very worthwhile when you get into it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Too many knobheads on here. Just post some popular musicians that play some tunes the man can sing and/or dance along to.  

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Nobody said anything about dancing. That sounds like too much exercise.

I'm gonna run out of rep so thanks for all the suggestions.

14 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Nobody said anything about dancing. That sounds like too much exercise.

I'm gonna run out of rep so thanks for all the suggestions.

Since you mentioned you liked Blues, here's a guy who combines blues, folk, folk-rock, rockabilly. You might like it. 

Country

Tyler Childers

Colter Wall

Chris Stapleton

Cody Jinks

Modern Blue

Christone Kingfish Ingram

Derek Trucks

Tedeschi Trucks band

Some overlooked older artists

King Curtis

Wes Montgomery 

Or have you tried west and north African music as you like Blues

Ali Farka Toure

Toumani Diabate 

Boubacar Traore

Tinariwen

Or Indian music, though I guess it's maybe a marmite option for most people

Alternatively I hear Best of the Beatles is a good album

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Anubis said:

Good citizens of TLW.

So, any recommendations?

https://tidal.com/album/6638220

Guaranteed to love this.

• Upvote 1