You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Union SG (A) - EL Group E, Thu 14th Dec 2023 (5:45pm)

Trumo

6 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm surprised at how un-arsed I am.  It all feels very pre-season.

This, this and many times this.

No new additions to the sick bay, badly needed minutes for the youngins and a nicely taken goal by young Jarrell. Virgil-esque I'd say. Sort of a baptism of fire too for Doak, Gordon, Chambers et al. Union clearly are no mugs, sitting top of table in the Belgian league. The home crowd could sense the possibility of their team claiming a famous scalp was very much on the cards and their players fed off that energy. How the fuck was that not a foul on Curtis for their opener? Methinks all the (largely unpunished) waist-grabbing and wrestle-to-the-floor moves Wilf Hughes did on our midfielders last weekend clearly influenced the officials. Also, no drawing of the offside lines in the VAR review for the Europa?

• Upvote 1

In terms of the result, the game didn’t matter as we knew because we were already qualified. Because of that, the only benefit was to see what the youngsters could show they could do against a team who would be taking proceedings seriously.

In that respect, few covered themselves in glory unfortunately, although, to be fair, if everyone isn’t giving 100% concentration and application, the overall performance will suffer anyway.

Not easy to get concerned about what happened, although technically, some of the passing was poor (under hit, wayward, behind players instead of in front of them etc.) and tackling was powder puff, but those things can be improved with training, experience and greater physicality.

Perhaps we can meet USG in the future and give them a good whupping just to set the record a bit straighter.

Now for Sunday.

7 hours ago, Pungkoq Hang said:

This, this and many times this.

No new additions to the sick bay, badly needed minutes for the youngins and a nicely taken goal by young Jarrell. Virgil-esque I'd say. Sort of a baptism of fire too for Doak, Gordon, Chambers et al. Union clearly are no mugs, sitting top of table in the Belgian league. The home crowd could sense the possibility of their team claiming a famous scalp was very much on the cards and their players fed off that energy. How the fuck was that not a foul on Curtis for their opener? Methinks all the (largely unpunished) waist-grabbing and wrestle-to-the-floor moves Wilf Hughes did on our midfielders last weekend clearly influenced the officials. Also, no drawing of the offside lines in the VAR review for the Europa?

I thought their first goal looked offside but we only seemed to get one look at it.

They deserved their win regardless.

The main thing I dread when we field sides like that is the inevitable 'definitive' judgements that will follow. We've got some very promising kids, but they're not yet strong enough or experienced enough to link together in an unfamiliar line-up, against very powerful and experienced senior players, and shine. That's the norm, not the  once-in-a-generation figure who gets a chance, in a fairly settled team, and has an instant impact. But that character seems so embedded in some people's minds that if they see anything less it's the thumbs down and the execution called. Those fans need to grow the feck up even faster than their targets do. Look at what happens when under 21 teams play lower division senior teams - they almost always get brushed aside. Bradford beat us 4-0 recently, and Barrow beat us. And that's with a 'normal' line-up. So why some fans expected them to turn on the style last night is a mystery. Give them some time, show them some patience, and watch them at their level against other teams of their age group and you'll see the potential is there. 

10 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I think Doak is desperate to get a goal under his belt, but needs to focus on working for his teammates. The goals will come if he manages to integrate into a side.

He might want to cut out the amateur wrestling as well.

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

He might want to cut out the amateur wrestling as well.

The stronger they get, the less that happens. Unless you play for Newcastle, Everton or Crystal Palace, when it becomes a way of life. No one's mentioned acne, yet, I'm quite surprised, while people are at it, they haven't moaned about that, as well.