You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Union SG (A) - EL Group E, Thu 14th Dec 2023 (5:45pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

We've already assured ourselves of top spot in the group so this match is very much a dead rubber for us. I have a feeling that none of our fans are arsed in the least about this one. Union SG I think still have an outside hope of reaching the knockout stage, but may yet end up dropping down into the Conference League. The permutations for the other teams in the group are such that Toulouse could finish 2rd or 3rd, Union could end up 2nd, 3rd or 4th, and LASK could end up 3rd or 4th. The home game against Union was mundane and harder work than it needed to be, but goals at the end of each half from Grav and Diogo gave us an ultimately comfortable 2-0 win. 

Our last visit to Belgium was as defending European champions in October 2019, for a group stage game against Genk. We dominated the game and won it 4-1 thanks to 2 goals from Ox, and one each from Sadio and Mo. Ox's opener came after just a couple of minutes, with a precise low shot from the edge of the area into the far corner past a rooted goalkeeper. Ox's made it 2-0 with a peach of a finish, this time a half-volley with the outside of his foot from the edge of the area and in off the bar. I'm with those who think goals look more spectacular when they go flying in off the bar. Some lovely link-up play between Mo and Sadio allowed the latter to dink the ball over the advancing keeper from an angle and being played in. Mo got in on the act late on, dribbling free of 2 defenders with some tight control and a calm finish. Just class all round. Genk did grab a consolation with minutes to go but they were never at the races.

We all expect Jurgen to ring the changes for this game, and select a more youthful/inexperienced line-up. He himself will be mindful of appearing to throw the game, and I suspect he will say words to that effect prior to the game. Stuff about not disrespecting Toulouse or LASK by giving Union an easy 3 points. That said, it would make sense not to have most of the first-team squad travel for this one. I think he will pick a side not dissimilar to the one that played in Toulouse, though Mac won't be involved of course. I don't think Kostas will be either, but I suspect Joe will lead the defence alongside Jarrel, with maybe Bradley and Scanlon in the full back roles. I think we might also see both Endo and Curtis in midfield. Harvey might be on the bench rather than starting, as he has a case for starting at the weekend. Not expecting much then, but I hope the players all have the right motivation, concentration, attitude and application from first minute to last. Try for the 3 points. Get it done!

• Upvote 7

Kelleher

Chambers

Quansah

Gomez

Bradley

Jones

Endo - Tempted to give McConnell a chance

Elliott

Doak

Gakpo

Diaz

Argument for the front three to be Gakpo - Nunez - Doak but doubt we'll risk both central attackers in this game and Gakpo needs the game time out of the two.

Maybe Doherty or Gordon on for Diaz after 45 minutes.

12 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Kelleher

Chambers

Quansah

Gomez

Bradley

Jones

Endo - Tempted to give McConnell a chance

Elliott

Doak

Gakpo

Diaz

Argument for the front three to be Gakpo - Nunez - Doak but doubt we'll risk both central attackers in this game and Gakpo needs the game time out of the two.

Maybe Doherty or Gordon on for Diaz after 45 minutes.

Something like this, and I’d even go further and start Gordon. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Something like this, and I’d even go further and start Gordon. 

Only thing that stopped me adding Gordon from the start was the ability to retain possession upfront with both him and Doak.

Would it put a relatively inexperienced back line under pressure in transition when the attack breaks down.

Although the more experienced midfield would compensate for that.

We should still be looking to win this game, and putting in a good performance, even if it means nothing in terms of qualification.

There are players who will play on Thursday who are fighting for more game time and youngsters who want to prove they can make it.

It also wouldn't hurt for those not involved to see the likes of Quansah, Elliott and Jones putting in performances to remind the rest of the team that you can't let complacency creep in and your selection isn't assured.

Those starting also need to have one eye on West Ham, this is an audition.

16 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Only thing that stopped me adding Gordon from the start was the ability to retain possession upfront with both him and Doak.

Would it put a relatively inexperienced back line under pressure in transition when the attack breaks down.

Although the more experienced midfield would compensate for that.

Yeah, you’re probably right.

In terms of experienced players, we’ll probably start those who won’t start against Man United on the Sunday anyway. 

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

We should still be looking to win this game, and putting in a good performance, even if it means nothing in terms of qualification.

There are players who will play on Thursday who are fighting for more game time and youngsters who want to prove they can make it.

It also wouldn't hurt for those not involved to see the likes of Quansah, Elliott and Jones putting in performances to remind the rest of the team that you can't let complacency creep in and your selection isn't assured.

Those starting also need to have one eye on West Ham, this is an audition.

Quansah , Jones and Elliot should be nowhere near this. Play the full U23’s the result means nothing.  

17 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Quansah , Jones and Elliot should be nowhere near this. Play the full U23’s the result means nothing.  

Jones is the only one I think is a flip of a coin because Klopp might want him starting against Utd so might put Gravenberch there instead.

Elliott and Quansah need the minutes and it protects Konate.

If we'd had more young centre backs on the bench at different points this season (like we've had at full back, midfield and attack) then fair enough but I don't think there's been any have there?

I'd be surprised if he plucks someone straight from the U23's who's not been in and around the first team/matchday squads and puts them straight into the starting line up.

34 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Jones is the only one I think is a flip of a coin because Klopp might want him starting against Utd so might put Gravenberch there instead.

Elliott and Quansah need the minutes and it protects Konate.

If we'd had more young centre backs on the bench at different points this season (like we've had at full back, midfield and attack) then fair enough but I don't think there's been any have there?

I'd be surprised if he plucks someone straight from the U23's who's not been in and around the first team/matchday squads and puts them straight into the starting line up.

Kelleher, Bradley, Chambers, Scanlon, McConnell, Koumas, Doak, and Gordon should all start. I would just add other youngsters personally, we can’t risk any defenders.

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This.  Didn't Jota get injured in a dead-rubber a few years ago?  Fuck that.

I'd go

Hagerty, F

Hagerty, R

Tomkins

Noble

Carrick

Dobson

Crapper

Dewhurst

McIntyre

Treadmore

Davitt

P.S.

Winning is a good habit, so just get these beat, Reds.