You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bournemouth (H) - Sat 19th Aug 2023 (3:00pm)

Trumo

Poor first twenty minutes but after that I thought we varied between good and excellent at times. Good to see Salah knuckle down and defend from the front when we went down to ten men. Endo was very tidy on his debut, only losing out once. Slobbo was the outstanding performer - absolutely superb.

Oh, and FUCK OFF POGMOL!

22 minutes ago, stringvest said:

do you really think most people own here wouldn't be screeching for a red?  I thought you'd been on here for a while

I don’t really think it’s relevant if some people on a LFC fan website would have been calling for a red. 

Referees are supposedly neutral and trained in the nuances of the game, paid full time with a fucking team of video refs to back them up.

Good result ultimately and coped ok with 10 men. So that is good.

But FFS - we are light in midfield and just as we get one in we through shite officiating now have one out - a lad who needs to gel with his new team mates and in a new role and now that process is stalled. Absolute bollocks of a red card and of course that biased cunt Tierney was never going to do his job on VAR.

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Gomez is a better RB than CB

Anyway go and buy Frimpong

This only gets days cause he’s had one good game there in the last two years, meanwhile he’s been made to look a Fuckinh liability countless times.

He wouldn’t get a start for any side in the leagues and should never have been our 2nd choice right back, he’s never even resembled one.

35 minutes ago, stringvest said:

do you really think most people own here wouldn't be screeching for a red?  I thought you'd been on here for a while

A lot would've been screaming but they'd have been just as wrong. I thought the pen was very soft also. Both decisions should've been looked at by the ref and the red should've be overturned.

10 minutes ago, niallers said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mac-allister-red-card-var-27554649

No clear and obvious error! Fucking hell. No way it gets overturned

I love how they suddenly remember that they're supposed to be concentrating on clear and obvious errors. How odd they forget that when spending five fecking minutes assessing if the hair on a player's knee was offside. The bloody morons.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't expect an apology from Webb, and I certainly don't expect them to backtrack on the 3-game ban because they'll say it was not a clear and obvious error. And we won't be able to say anything because that worked out well with the incident involving Robbo and the roid monster lino, didn't it? 

This was extremely poor for the first 30 minutes, but a marked improvement thereafter, even after going a man down. The opposite of what happened at Chelsea then. 

Lucho did brilliantly to improvise a chance for himself. It was admittedly a soft penalty on Dom as there wasn't much contact in the challenge. Mo's penalty was shit, and he was fortunate the rebound fell to him. Diogo was having an afternoon to forget but, soon after the red card, he reacted sharply to tuck in the rebound from Dom's deflected shot.

Endo-san got a debut but I've a feeling Klopp would not have brought him on in this one if he didn't need to. Macca going off meant we needed a defensive-minded player to try and help shore us up.

It was never going to be a 9-0 like last year, and certainly not after that red card. Preposterous decision not to get VAR to intervene. In real time you can see why that could be given, but VAR is supposed to allow the officials to correct decisions. Instead, the current system is overly reliant on NOT having a dickhead at Stockley Park covering the ref's arse, and as we can see, that is far from the case. This one had Paul Fucking Tierney doing Paul Fucking Tierney things. Again. That cunt should be paid in crypto on some dubious exchange platform that is about to fail. The body of evidence against this incompetent jobsworth is bigger than Donald Trump's rap sheet.

As for our tactics? Ditch the inverted full back shit and play a back 4, because the other full back basically needs to be a defender who can play in a 3. The other sides playing this way all do this, which is why they can retain a semblance of defensive stability while still gaining a body in midfield without compromising their attacking set-up. We are creating issues for Robbo, overworking Ibou and shoehorning Cody into a role that doesn't make best use of his ability.

3 points gained, but still a lot of questions to answer.

The Bournemouth player reaction helped get him sent off. But nothing will be said as he's british. 

Really need to start scouting right wingers as Salah is hardly involved at the minute. Struggling to get in behind players and not beating his man when one on one much either. Still capable of magic moments but looks like this might be the last season imo

• Downvote 1

It's funny how the refs leave even a little hard decision to VAR but chose to make a decision today followed by VAR take the "not clear and obvious" stance when they waste hours every weekend looking at incidents that are not clear and obvious.

We will see atleast 2 or 3 similar incidents next week that do not even get a yellow card out.

I can just about understand the VAR not saying "it's a clear and obvious error" and reversing it, but it's obvious that they need to just send the referee to the monitor for things like this.

I think the ref has heard the scream, seen the Bournemouth player rolling around and thought "he's hurt him there" and pulled out a red. If he saw the replay and realised where the ball was and that MacAllister has actually connected with the side of his foot, not the studs, there's zero chance he'd give a red for that. So why not send him to the monitor and just let him decide for himself?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I can just about understand the VAR not saying "it's a clear and obvious error" and reversing it, but it's obvious that they need to just send the referee to the monitor for things like this.

I think the ref has heard the scream, seen the Bournemouth player rolling around and thought "he's hurt him there" and pulled out a red. If he saw the replay and realised where the ball was and that MacAllister has actually connected with the side of his foot, not the studs, there's zero chance he'd give a red for that. So why not send him to the monitor and just let him decide for himself?

One word - Tierney

Fame isn’t good for people. Look at Dean in that photo: head polished, cheeks buffed, fuck off. Refs shouldn’t be famous or infamous, we shouldn’t even know about them, it goes to the head. Of course footy players get famous, but they don’t wield power except for the skill and talent, so it largely leaves them to shag loads and get tattoos. Refs become twats.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's not a red card with any sort of logical outlook, but there's zero chance the ban will be overturned and the ref will be justified because the foot was high, studs were showing, etc.. 

I agree but 9 times out of 10 the ref gives a yellow in these situations and that allows VAR to change it to a red if there’s been a bad mistake. No idea why that didn’t happen here.