You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bournemouth (H) - Sat 19th Aug 2023 (3:00pm)

Trumo

There’s no evidence of any corruption in the English league. Fans of every big club have been saying it for years after every defeat or now even a bad decision but never produced any hard evidence to back it up. Referees don’t get paid much and seem to live in fairly modest houses. If they are corrupt who is paying them, why and where’s the money going ? 

46 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

There’s no evidence of any corruption in the English league. Fans of every big club have been saying it for years after every defeat or now even a bad decision but never produced any hard evidence to back it up. Referees don’t get paid much and seem to live in fairly modest houses. If they are corrupt who is paying them, why and where’s the money going ? 

Joking aren’t you? Ferguson picked the refs for Man Utd games for years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

As a first step, they should make the conversation between on field ref and VAR to be heard in the ground and TV.

I agree with others that it’s not corruption, but you’re dead right here.

I didn’t see the match yesterday as I’m on holiday but seeing the clip it’s obviously never a red card in a million years and I’ve instantly thought about rugby ref cards.

i don’t watch much rugby but when I see a red card it’s always a decision made with the aid of a replay and a transparent conversation between the ref and his assistants including the video ref. It’s an approach that seems to be trying to get decisions right. 

football isn’t, and it’s the worst of the problems with referees and our system that protects bad decisions.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

They might not be corrupt but they are certainly inconsistent at best, tending towards biased and incompetent most matches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

It's not always about money, mate, although that is the Tory thing I'll grant you. (And therefore "corruption" is maybe not the right word for it.)

But what also is the Tory thing, is "power" and "influence".  

Add "personal bias" to that, along with a smattering of "little man's syndrome" and you have the makings of a bent ref.  

Even if perhaps, subconsciously.

Finally, sprinkle that with "incompetence", and you have the shitshow that organisations like the Football League, the FA, UEFA and, the bad daddy of them all, FIFA, have allowed to fester for years...

... and the crowning turd of a situation that we are in now manifests itself, extremely plausibly, before our eyes.

And just to keep bias out of it from my perspective, I thought that penalty - let alone the sending off - at Fulham yesterday was scandalously bad and wrong.

OK, a shit penalty call, fair enough... but a second yellow/sending off?  

Outrageous.  Incompetence on its own - in no way, shape or form - adequately explains those two decisions combined.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jennings said:

The PGMOL recruit a certain type of person - blerts like Peter Walton.  Ultimately 'yes-men', who'll defiantly defend the indefensible if its what his bosses have shown him. They don't want strong independent thinkers. They want people who, if asked to go to a monitor will obligingly change their minds.

Funny thing is that if you point out the fact that the roster of Premier League officials and the whole PGMOL set-up is overwhelmingly "male, pale & stale" and suggest that there might be something fundamentally wrong with the way officials are recruited and promoted, then you'll get gammons shouting you down, saying that people should get those jobs on merit alone.  Well, yeah... That's the point.  This level of widespread incompetence suggests that something other than meritocracy is at play, so fundamental change is needed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

34 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Joking aren’t you? Ferguson picked the refs for Man Utd games for years.

The influence that cunt had over the refs (via his bullying of the media) is evidence of PGMOL shitness, not corruption.  He bullied them; he never bought them.

2 hours ago, Jurgen Knows said:

English referees are pretty consistent mate.  It would have surely been a yellow had it been Hendo.

Red for the foreign cheat boys. Yellow for the passionate English boys.

Your enduring, almost charming, passive aggressive equanimity on this incarnation, TK, is fucking admirable.

Just now, El Rojo said:

Four points from those two games is a really good start given our midfield issues, which should resolve themselves a bit over next while.

I'm going for 3.5+ goals overall in the match, with individual goals to Mo and Jota, next week at Newcastle.

I'd take a 2-2.

Just now, El Rojo said:

Four points from those two games is a really good start given our midfield issues, which should resolve themselves a bit over next while.

yea but it’s very frustrating as we’ve lost our player for 3 games, Diaz and Trent could be out for the next game at least so while it’s a good start we are back to hoping for some luck to see the next couple of games out.