You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: All in on Jude, Virgil under fire, our wildest goal celebrations, Everton relegation vs Top 4 & City preview

dave u

The boys are back with what was supposed to be a preview of the weekend's game with City but ended up being something else entirely.

Chris Smith, Ian Brown and TLW Editor Dave Usher got through a wide ranging list of topics include Jude Bellingham's future and Van Basten & Gullit's drive by on Virgil.

The lads also answer a selection of questions from the listeners, such as whether we'd sacrifice a top four spot to see Everton relegated, wildest goal celebrations and what's our best front three when everyone is fit and on form. Plus there's a bit on City at the end.

View full article

• Upvote 5

• dave u pinned this topic

Just listening to the names on shirts stuff.

On my 21st birthday Salif Diao (number 21) scored the winner and played well at Leeds. I hadn't seen him play much at that point and got his name on the black kit I got for my birthday due to that coincidence.

Felt too embarrassed to even wear it by the end of that season!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

No way I was coming clean on the pod through embarrassment but the little knobheads first choice was Naby!

Didn’t take long to talk him out of that one.

Haha, was coming here to guess that. Had to be.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Brownie said:

No way I was coming clean on the pod through embarrassment but the little knobheads first choice was Naby!

Didn’t take long to talk him out of that one.

The moment you said you wouldn’t say who, I immediately thought ‘wow, fucking Naby?’

The comment from @Chris that your lad had worn the Carvalho shirt more than Carvalho made me laugh as did @dave u having to think about whether he’d prefer Liverpool winning the league over Everton getting relegated. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

That’s what made me guffaw. And him saying it twice because nobody heard him the first time. 

It's constant...

I played every Thursday night with him for 2-3 years and didn't see anything that resembled the Curtis finish. There was some tidy stuff, some neat give and goes, silky touches and some deft and skilfull finishes, but this legend has grown beyond its means.

I blame John G for enabling it. 

If these "Usher specials" do exist they, incredibly, must have all happened after I left the city. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Chris said:

It's constant...

I played every Thursday night with him for 2-3 years and didn't see anything that resembled the Curtis finish. There was some tidy stuff, some neat give and goes, silky touches and some deft and skilfull finishes, but this legend has grown beyond its means.

I blame John G for enabling it. 

If these "Usher specials" do exist they, incredibly, must have all happened after I left the city. 

There's actually some truth in that, because the 'trademark Usher finish' was much more prevalent in the latter part of my career. When we moved to Toxteth I was scoring them on a weekly basis for about four years. Those, and deft headers from pinpoint John G crosses were my bread and butter.

So I don't have much of a problem with you not appreciating it as you'd moved away by the time it became a staple of my game. The others lads are just being petty, bitter and in some cases dare I say jealous.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

It's like when Paul dismisses my game. Like he was even there! He played maybe two games in Toxteth before he had to retire. He had calf muscles like they'd been sliced from the DNA of Sturridge and Lallana.

Most of the magic happened when he was no longer around to see it. Much like the Champions League final celebrations...

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic