You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 7 (SEVEN) Manchester United 0 - Mar 5 2023)

tlw content

matchreportheader.jpg

How do you write something to encapsulate what we just saw? There’s a lot of hyperbole about modern footy where everything that’s pretty good will be labelled “the best ever” but what we witnessed at Anfield on Sunday is a genuine once in a lifetime occurrence. It’s literally never happened before.

I don’t know if it’s fully sunk in yet and I can’t really process how I’m feeling about it. Beating them 7-0 wouldn’t have been a massive shock a year ago when we were flying and they were pathetic. We could have beaten them by more than that at Old Trafford if we hadn’t stopped playing at 5-0. We could have done it in the Anfield fixture too if the ball had broken a bit more kindly at times.

This time the breaks did go our way. We’ve have won the game regardless, but you don’t get seven goals without some things bouncing the right way for you and a couple of the goals were like that. The other goals though? Fucking hell, this was us back to our best.

The recent signs have been promising but I don’t think anybody other than maybe Graeme Souness saw this coming. He wasn’t thinking 7-0 but to his credit he did say that he believed we’d win well and that Anfield would drive us on to a performance. Keane and (especially) Neville were laughing at him but he was right and at full time it was Souey, Carra and Kelly who were laughing at Neville as he tied himself in knots trying to say Liverpool weren’t even any good. Keane was laughing at him too in fairness.

Whenever there’s a result like this there are two stories to be told and usually the bigger story is just how shit the battered team was. And that’s fair. I’m fine if the wider football world wants to focus on them being a disgrace more so than us being outstanding. I don’t really care. The story for me is how good we were, but I don’t begrudge anyone who wants to put the boot in on Bruno Fernandes and co. 

We should not be able to beat any ‘top’ team 7-0 if they play the way they should but equally we know that if we play at our best then the only teams who can potentially live with it are City and Real Madrid. Everyone else is going to get blown away, even if they play well. Not 7-0, but they’re going to lose.

But what we didn’t know is whether we were capable of hitting that top form anymore. It’s not been there all season except in flashes. The first half against Madrid was as good as anything we’ve produced in a long time, so despite what happened afterwards there was something to take from that. And it looks like we have taken something from it because this was like rolling back the clock.

There’s so much to get into here that it’s going to be tough to keep any structure to it so I’m going to say whatever comes into my head and let it flow. Make yourself a brew or something, or if you’re reading it after work this evening get yourself a nice cold beer and strap yourself in as this is going to be a long one. 

View full article

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

• dave u pinned this topic

Keane on sky said Utd not been that good despite results.

Too many close last minute wins.

West Ham should have done them Leicster as well.

They are frauds. Rashford covering up all their shite.

We exposed all that with brilliant ruthless relentless attacking dynamism 

They are deluded that this is a blip. They are OK but will struggle to stay in top 4. They will only if Newcastle continue to shit the bed.

Any win against them is fckin boss but this is THE win, one we can always shove down their throats.

Loved it. Bournemouth 9.0. Defeat May have thought well at least Liverpool are not at full steam now as the come to us.... oh shit.

Let's make sure it's 16 out of 18.

• Upvote 2

I scored nine goals the morning at 5-a-side but nobody cares now, people won’t even remember because of that game, I’m fuming as you would say Dave. 

Why couldn’t we just win 1 nil ?

Ah ha, what a great game to remember for ever. Let’s see where Bellingham wants to go now …

• Upvote 4

Great report and lovely to see the “Ten Haag is a tactical genius” given a reality check. Rashford through the middle?

Brilliant performance from the boys, it made even Mica Richards bearable on MOTD.

Crazy to also think that Bournemouth and Man U are responsible for +16 of our +19 goal difference!

I have the feeling I’m going to be watching the game back many times this week!

• Upvote 3

A report fit for the match Dave. Big mention for Fab as I thought he was cooked and I’m delighted to have been proven wrong. Special award goes to Anthony in the ‘utter tool showboating far too early’ category, but he disappeared up his own hole in the second half before he could collect it; “dirty tramp” award could go to most of the Mancs but Mctominay snides his way to the gong for trying to remove Cody’s leg - follow-through my hole, that fucker knew what he was at. And last but not least, ‘most punchable face’ goes to…Bruno, who else? (Anthony came a close 2nd and will overtake him though. guaranteed!)

• Upvote 2

War and peace volume 2 but an excellent read.

Football is all about confidence and this should give the bounce to achieve the minimum requirement, Madrid? Who knows, but I wouldn't put it past us.

As said earlier, if that doesn't make Jude want to be part of this story then he was never the one for us.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Once again I had to suffer the babblings of anti us Beglin on commentary. Even at 3 - 0 he was talking up a scum comeback. The prize goes to his first half comment that our new from 3 aren't gelling.

Cunt shouldn't be allowed near the club.

Same here , we refer to it as being Beglinned. I remember him suggesting that Klopp might replace the front 3 at half time. FFS!!

We have Beglin every time and we always comment how he goes out of his way to be anti-us and play down fouls against us (often not given). 

Its either he feels that he was treated badly by the club at some point or he's trying is hardest to sound impartial as a commenter and then seriously over compensating in that act.

Great report! Still feel like this result was a total coincidence, and that if Fernandes or Rashford puts away their chances in the 1st half then we wouldn't have recovered. Then again, individually and as a collective we are so much better than what we've shown so far this season, and we had to turn the corner at one point. It was only a matter of time when you look at the small signs of improvement in the last games, starting with Everton. Just so made up that our mojo returned just in time to completely humiliate that lot!

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic