You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

10 minutes ago, Dundalis said:

I don't think people understand what they are saying when they talk about Salah and his output. Salah had 46 goals contributions in all competitions last season. 46. 30 goals, 16 assists. As an apparent "shadow" of his former self. The idea that you can cope just fine minus that is laughable. No one in the EPL gets those kinds of total goal contributions in a supposed bad season, no one even gets near that in a great season apart from one or two. Now you might say well much of those contributions will be recouped by whoever we decide to play in that position or spread across the team. If we for example were to play Szoboazlai there, and he gets even half those goal contributions across the season, that would be an incredible effort, but I wouldn't expect that. You aren't just going to spread 46 goal contributions across the team or anything really close to it. It would be an enormous loss of offensive firepower. Replacing Salah moving forward will easily be the biggest challenge the board will face in the Klopp era.

He's a magnificent player, more than a player he's an icon. There's only a handful of players that kids all over the world are pretending to be when they're kicking the ball around, and he's one. He's also better on a bad day then most on a good day.

But what I was getting at is that i reckon we're in much better shape to survive the loss of a player like that compared to previous sides, as we do have a lot of quality in the department compared to when we lost Torres and Suarez.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

He's a magnificent player, more than a player he's an icon. There's only a handful of players that kids all over the world are pretending to be when they're kicking the ball around, and he's one. He's also better on a bad day then most on a good day.

But what I was getting at is that i reckon we're in much better shape to survive the loss of a player like that compared to previous sides, as we do have a lot of quality in the department compared to when we lost Torres and Suarez.

I agree.

The only thing is... if there were to be a "miracle" title challenge this year, I reckon he'd have to be front-and-centre part of it.

• Upvote 1

The situation might be different if they’d come in at the start of the window, but it would be disastrous to let him go at this stage.

Since we’re the only club in the world to have to reassess its spending plans based on a lack of CL football there’s a real danger that FSG would ‘reallocate’ a large portion of the £200m should we miss out again (which you’d have to say is almost certain without Salah or a world class replacement), and then you have the fact that other clubs would perceive that we have a ton of money to spend and adjust their asking price accordingly.

5 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Paisley learned from Shanks's mistake being loyal. Ferguson learned from Paisley. Klopp is more Shanks than Paisley: in itself not a bad thing at all.

Paisley is the one king to rule them all.

Paisley/Ferguson and I would say Pep too move players on when they feel they are done 

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Not sure if we will, impression is that Andre was the Gravenberch alternative but if they want to maintain the Midfield numbers maybe they'll do what they did with Diaz and Gakpo and bring in Andre in anticipation of Thiago leaving in the summer.

Don't think they'll fight for him if the interest increases and the price goes back up towards his release clause though.

Rumors that West Ham are now interested. There may be some interest from Spain for him too. If the fee is low then it would make sense as you say to bring him in as Thiago is phased out. He looks a decent player from what limited footage I've seen. 

Thiago, Matip and presumably Salah leaving next year would cut the wage bill by £650k a week. 

1 hour ago, Dundalis said:

I don't think people understand what they are saying when they talk about Salah and his output. Salah had 46 goals contributions in all competitions last season. 46. 30 goals, 16 assists. As an apparent "shadow" of his former self. The idea that you can cope just fine minus that is laughable. No one in the EPL gets those kinds of total goal contributions in a supposed bad season, no one even gets near that in a great season apart from one or two. Now you might say well much of those contributions will be recouped by whoever we decide to play in that position or spread across the team. If we for example were to play Szoboazlai there, and he gets even half those goal contributions across the season, that would be an incredible effort, but I wouldn't expect that. You aren't just going to spread 46 goal contributions across the team or anything really close to it. It would be an enormous loss of offensive firepower. Replacing Salah moving forward will easily be the biggest challenge the board will face in the Klopp era.

One way we might compensate for it is just by having a better shape. Not that Salah is a zero when we dont have the ball, but he clearly is one of those players that gets freedom defensively. If Darwin steps up and becomes the main goalscorer and we replace him with someone who has a minimum of good production, is a good fit and who is great off ball, we wont be losing much in the exchange. 

But I do get the banalization of Salah s numbers. When he leaves, he will be remembered as one of the best ever and rightly so. Just dont think replacing one forward is super difficult if you know what you re doing. Heck, I dont think replacing any one player is that hard if you know what you are doing. This is a stupid comparison and well see how it goes later, but West Ham have basically forgotten Declan Rice exists in these first games and he was probably more important to West Ham than Salah is to us. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

I see that the mancs are paying most of greenwoods 75,000 a week wages whilst he's on loan at Getafe.  What PR disaster from them.

Greenwood not going to trial is really the worst thing that could have happened to the Mancs. Found guilty, they could have sacked him. Not guilty, they could have tried to rehabilitate him. But with the abused partner going back to him and the CPS having to drop the case despite the evidence that is out there, fucked them. Really hate to see it.

2 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Thank duck someone who watched same same shitshow I was watching last year . I would say it even better than good because we wouldn't have got Gavenberch if Henderson had sat out his contract . I am totally made up with the business and maybe just maybe we have some defensive talent in our youths or those who are out on loan . Let's get a look before we buy the next big thing from Portugal 

Aye the state of our midfield and the statues in it was gut wrenching to watch last season.

Week in week out getting run by and through - outfought, outthought, bullied...

Watching Fabinho arrive 5 mins late for tackles and hacking people down - and in the rare ocassions when he won it playing awful slow and often short or misplaced tackles.

His appearance at Brighton away in cup was like me in my early 20's rocking up at sunday league straight from a night out in town, throwing up behind the goal then staggering around still pissed out my skull - it was depressing to watch - and there were plenty more efforts like it.

Hendo standing around bemused as the opposition give him the run around......

Due to the sicknotes littering our options it was then all too often a case of whoever had all their limbs intact to make up the 3rd midfielder - meaning we lacked any sort of fluidity, rhythm, understanding and continuity for most of the season as well.

The bright spot was Bajcetic - but we broke him because of a lackof availability of and  Klopp simply not trusting or simply not wanting to use our so called senior pros.

Jones was a bright spot too over last 10 games.

Watching Naby Keita get hooked at half time after another invisible showing on one of his rare starts summed up the state we were in...

Thank fuck we have finally cleared that sort of shite out and fixed the other issues mentioned above and in earlier posts.

I'm excited by where we can go now.

I wish we'd done something in defence though.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

This is spot on and makes you wonder what some folks were thinking would happen.

Same with RB, we were never even considering it this window.

The only possibility was a preemptive Matip replacement, which we've done before. But it was clearly not that big of a priority.