You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

We don't even need to spend vast amount to improve this midfield. 

Klopp will probably drop Elliot and play Nabil El Jones which will leave us in the same situation.  He's another no mark midifelder who should have been sold with Ox and Keita.

1 minute ago, Leyton388 said:

The issue is spending £101m on Nunez and Gapko when we needed midfielders. Nothing against those two but if we have limited money its absolute madness to have bought them instead of buying what was really needed. 

The bigger issue is waiting until we have multiple areas of the team to refresh to start doing anything. 

Remember back 2-3 summers when the club were "relaxed" over everything. You should never be relaxed. Liverpool in the 80's and Utd in the 80's never sat still. 

We have waited for the central heating to pack up and the roof to come in before deciding which one to spend on first. 

Now we are being told it's too expensive to do all at once. No shit Sherlock. That's why most fans asked to spend a bit more each summer as we knew you couldn't spend like City. 

Hopefully the club are massively bluffing ahead of a bringing in a couple now. 

3 minutes ago, HBenn said:

The bigger issue is waiting until we have multiple areas of the team to refresh to start doing anything. 

Remember back 2-3 summers when the club were "relaxed" over everything. You should never be relaxed. Liverpool in the 80's and Utd in the 80's never sat still. 

We have waited for the central heating to pack up and the roof to come in before deciding which one to spend on first. 

Now we are being told it's too expensive to do all at once. No shit Sherlock. That's why most fans asked to spend a bit more each summer as we knew you couldn't spend like City. 

Hopefully the club are massively bluffing ahead of a bringing in a couple now. 

We should have been rebuilding and strengthening after we won the CL in 2019. Instead the people running the club decided to sit on easy street and thought all the hard work was done. 

I was done with FSG after they decided not to sign any defenders in 2020 when we needed it and were so blasé about losing the league title it took us 30 years to regain. 

I feel robbed that we couldn't celebrate the 2020 league title and for me it feels like it never happened.  If the club had bought the defenders needed in that winter we would have retained our title. The team fought tooth and nail to be in a strong position going into that window and we were top of the league for the owners to decide to pull the rug out.

Then the Super League debacle showed them for what they really are. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I refuse to believe that, in a world of eight billion people, there isn't a single  player out there who could improve our midfield that isn't only available for a squillion pounds.

If we bought 2-3 promising centre mids from the championship for a grand total of 20m then I'd trust Jurgen to get a tune out of them and we'd be in a much better position than we are right now. 

The fact we haven't signed a single midfielder since Gini left is gross negligence. How have we allowed ourselves to get into this position? The writing has been on the wall for over a year, and nothing is being done. We had the entire summer of Klopp saying we don't need another midfielder before waiting til it was too late and giving in and saying that we do need one. 

Now we're in another transfer window and we're again hearing that we might not be getting one. No wonder the players are downing tools. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Aventus said:

If we bought 2-3 promising centre mids from the championship for a grand total of 20m then I'd trust Jurgen to get a tune out of them and we'd be in a much better position than we are right now. 

Somebody playing week in/week out for one of the top teams. Like Tyler Morton?

Our scouting network must be shite. No one can tell any of us that there won’t be countless players across the globe who could improve us. South America is a breeding ground for cheaper players who are keen as fuck, rough as fuck and who will be desperate to make an impact. 
Shop there or wherever we can get value because we sure as hell aren’t and never we’re signing Bellingham. It’s voyeurism.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Aventus said:

The fact we haven't signed a single midfielder since Gini left is gross negligence. How have we allowed ourselves to get into this position?

Because some clever arses in the scouting department/Coaches decided we could turn 2 slow wingers into central midfielders and want to do similar with Carvalho 

16 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

We should have been rebuilding and strengthening after we won the CL in 2019. Instead the people running the club decided to sit on easy street and thought all the hard work was done. 

I was done with FSG after they decided not to sign any defenders in 2020 when we needed it and were so blasé about losing the league title it took us 30 years to regain. 

I feel robbed that we couldn't celebrate the 2020 league title and for me it feels like it never happened.  If the club had bought the defenders needed in that winter we would have retained our title. The team fought tooth and nail to be in a strong position going into that window and we were top of the league for the owners to decide to pull the rug out.

Completely agree. 

Now it's used as a badge of honour as "how great plucky little Liverpool were to win a title when up against Man City". 

The sickening thing is up until Haaland, who did City buy that was a game changer for them to overtake us? They didn't, we just let them catch us up and overtake us. 

No other team will just sit back like we had to. Arsenal will spend and no one will be banging on about them being irresponsible/not sustainable for doing so. 

4 minutes ago, Aventus said:

The fact we haven't signed a single midfielder since Gini left is gross negligence. How have we allowed ourselves to get into this position? The writing has been on the wall for over a year, and nothing is being done. We had the entire summer of Klopp saying we don't need another midfielder before waiting til it was too late and giving in and saying that we do need one. 

Now we're in another transfer window and we're again hearing that we might not be getting one. No wonder the players are downing tools. 

As long as they were strong, reasonable technically, and able to cover the ground pretty quickly, I'd back Klopp to get them firing.

Something's definitely off behind the scenes though. Our transfer team all jumping ship, Klopp pinning his hopes on Bellingham, the refusal to accept we needed a midfielder. It's all sounding a bit Rodgers vs the transfer committee. Even the Nunez deal was unlike the blueprint that'd worked up to that point.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

The whole investment/sale is clearly pivotal. 

You have Newcastle and City that will spend like nation states. Utd that will probably be the same soon and Chelsea that supposedly are like FSG but have found a way to invest shed loads and still meet FFP.  Finally you have Arsenal that if they CL will go up a level. 

Basically we will have to be a different proposition come next season otherwise we will always be fighting for 6th or 7th. 

47 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Something's definitely off behind the scenes though. Our transfer team all jumping ship, Klopp pinning his hopes on Bellingham, the refusal to accept we needed a midfielder.

What's more likely Klopp throwing his weight around or the owners were preparing for a sale over the past few years?

Klopp has 15 odd years of being collaborative here and at Dortmund. Hard to make the case he has changed tact. If anything the problem is he sees it all as one team and fronts up and takes shit for decisons that are beyond his control. In his eyes it's leadership. He genuinely seems to believe a club is stronger when they are united it would go against his whole ethos. 

Everything we have heard about FSG over 12 years suggests one individual the manager just doesn't have the sway to veto deals or make demands. There is far more evidence the club seems to have a book value for player x and if it isn't met player stays. This then impacts the wage bill. In other words what if we could only buy a midfielder if Keita, Ox Henderson Fabinho etc were sold. But the owners valued them at twelvty trillion pounds. The Salah contract was strange as it looked very unlikely he would sign. Did Klopp demand the contract and tie up a sizable part of the wage bill --  or is it more likely the owners didn't want to lose Salah as they didn't want to do anything that might jeopardise a 3.5 billion deal. 

1 hour ago, Leyton388 said:

That is what has always wound me up. We fought like mad to get into the top 4 and only bought 2 game changing players because Coutinho was sold.

That put us up a level without them putting much money in. Yet we still didn't consolidate our position after winning the CL and then the league and just gave up our league title without anyone at the club seeming arsed. Getting knocked out of the CL by Real Madrid was just a shrug of the shoulders. All that work to get to the top then just not be arsed to slip back to where we were before. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

As long as they were strong, reasonable technically, and able to cover the ground pretty quickly, I'd back Klopp to get them firing.

Something's definitely off behind the scenes though. Our transfer team all jumping ship, Klopp pinning his hopes on Bellingham, the refusal to accept we needed a midfielder. It's all sounding a bit Rodgers vs the transfer committee. Even the Nunez deal was unlike the blueprint that'd worked up to that point.

It's definitely something interesting to think about. I wonder if Klopp got pretty much ultimate power in return for his contract extension. 

34 minutes ago, AHA said:

Looks like the Red Sox fans are not happy with John Henry. Booed out of Fenway Park tonight according to Twitter

They've allowed their star players to leave the past 3 years, one in mookie Betts, who is the equivalent of maybe Steven Gerrard, an all star in every position, they traded him for 3 players and to date, only 1 of the trades makes the starting line up, And this season they've allowed their star short stop, which is kind of like a star centre mid leave for absolutely free. Not to mention their now dragging their heels on offering a new contract to their main home run hitter now as well. 

Miserable fucks 

43 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

They've allowed their star players to leave the past 3 years, one in mookie Betts, who is the equivalent of maybe Steven Gerrard, an all star in every position, they traded him for 3 players and to date, only 1 of the trades makes the starting line up, And this season they've allowed their star short stop, which is kind of like a star centre mid leave for absolutely free. Not to mention their now dragging their heels on offering a new contract to their main home run hitter now as well. 

Miserable fucks 

I'd say cunts

FSG think purely in £'s ( as you might expect ) and the difference between 4th and 1st in the Prem is massive to us fans but not on a money spreadsheet, and certainly not worth 9-figure outlays on players. The real money us in the CL and as long as Jurgen has kept us doing well in that I doubt FSG give a shiny shit about winning the Prem or the Cups except as a criticism-muffler from us.

3 minutes ago, sir roger said:

FSG think purely in £'s ( as you might expect ) and the difference between 4th and 1st in the Prem is massive to us fans but not on a money spreadsheet, and certainly not worth 9-figure outlays on players. The real money us in the CL and as long as Jurgen has kept us doing well in that I doubt FSG give a shiny shit about winning the Prem or the Cups except as a criticism-muffler from us.

Gonna be very interesting to see how they react to the loss of european cup football - or more to the immediate point the threat of the loss of it.

29 minutes ago, an tha said:

Gonna be very interesting to see how they react to the loss of european cup football - or more to the immediate point the threat of the loss of it.

By telling the club is needs to shed wages and sell to buy