You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

44 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

Nicolas Jackson has two more league goals than him, nothing else needs to be said tbh.

An indefensible statistic. 

I feel like I’m being a Darwin hater today, I’m not, not really. I genuinely do like him as a player.

Unfortunately, I think the penny has dropped this is the best we’re going to get from him.

I know Slot might improve him, given how all our attackers players have flourished under Klopp, I’m dubious what extra Slot can teach.

Hope I’m wrong.

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I know Slot might improve him, given how all our attackers players have flourished under Klopp, I’m dubious what extra Slot can teach.

I don't think he needs teaching anything special, maybe only needs the manager to help him relax more and give him regular games. Or it could be that whatever system Slot uses could suit him more in some way if he ends up staying.

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

I don't think he needs teaching anything special, maybe only needs the manager to help him relax more and give him regular games. Or it could be that whatever system Slot uses could suit him more in some way if he ends up staying.

I sincerely hope you’re right. I think he’s had more than enough minutes, opportunities and certainly chances.

His all round game is generally good, can you teach that ice in your vibes composure somebody like Sturridge or Mane had? 

13 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I feel like I’m being a Darwin hater today, I’m not, not really. I genuinely do like him as a player.

Unfortunately, I think the penny has dropped this is the best we’re going to get from him.

Hope I’m wrong.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that if Klopp can’t teach them no one can I think it’s fair to say that Diaz, Gakpo and Nunez have far from flourished under Kloppo and if they were all to leave today only Diaz can say his reputation is enhanced. That’s nothing to do with Klopp, a fair bit to do with the players and a little bit to do with them being good players in the wrong team. Should our system change to accommodate them better then one or two might kick on a bit under Slot. It won’t be Nunez.

21 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Hope I’m wrong.

My feelings are the same, he’s had two years at a club that creates so so much yet he’s putting in bang average numbers.

Maybe the weight of the crown is too heavy for him, the expectation of the club along with the famous number 9 shirt is all too much.

I don’t see any difference next season even under new management, you can’t teach someone at nearly 25 to stay offside or make better decisions, you either have it or you don’t, he’s not a bang average player but he’s certainly not good enough to lead the line for Liverpool as proven especially the business end of the season where quite frankly he’s been fucking horrendous.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Honestly wondering if he's not rounding the keeper because he's fearing missing the open goal after it. There's got to be some reason he's not doing it though, maybe he's so stubborn with how he wants to score that he's sick of messing the one on ones up and he's trying to score a bunch instead but he's not focusing and placing his shots. I've read that some idiots have been sending him threatening messages which could be why he's deleted all his instagram posts, it seems like a drastic move though instead of blocking/reporting them instead. Maybe he's sick of how things are going and really wants out.

It's also weird how things alternate with him and Gakpo. One of them plays and will usually get a goal here and there and be seen as ok while the other is subbed on in later stages of games and gets stick if they're not instantly playing well. Gakpo was getting shit for it not long back, now it's Nunez again. I don't think either of them are the super sub type player and both need regular games.

I've thought for a while now though that Gakpo seems more suited. he might not get as many goals or assists as Nunez would on top form but he seems to fit into the team better and could be more consistent over time. And he now has the advantage of Slot arriving so maybe that's also on the mind of Nunez.

Social Media is a pox on modern life.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I sincerely hope you’re right. I think he’s had more than enough minutes, opportunities and certainly chances.

His all round game is generally good, can you teach that ice in your vibes composure somebody like Sturridge or Mane had? 

I'm sure he'll still miss crazy chances even if he improves and have issues with focus but it won't be noticed as much, in the same way that Mo can do the same at times but the goals and assists more than make up for it.

3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Social Media is a pox on modern life.

It's a mixture of good and bad I think, sad to read that Nunez has to put up with that though from supposed fans if true. Definitely one of the worst aspects when you have mobs of people doing stupid shit like that.

11 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

We need a poacher, someone that is there when the balls come in from the flanks, I’m sold on Vlahovic, he’d score fucking loads in this team imo.

The type of striker you are describing, who doesnt really do anything but score in the penalty area, doesnt really exist anymore. Except for Haaland. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I’m not convinced.

Look at Richarlson yesterday. He held us run, checked back and then went again about half a dozen times. He was an absolute menace for us when he came on yesterday. 

When does Nunez ever check / hold his runs like that? 

The chance they had when Gomez cleared off the line, Richardson looked offside in the build up. Sky never showed it again, but had it led to a goal, it would have been chalked off.

12 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that if Klopp can’t teach them no one can I think it’s fair to say that Diaz, Gakpo and Nunez have far from flourished under Kloppo and if they were all to leave today only Diaz can say his reputation is enhanced. That’s nothing to do with Klopp, a fair bit to do with the players and a little bit to do with them being good players in the wrong team. Should our system change to accommodate them better then one or two might kick on a bit under Slot. It won’t be Nunez.

Swings and roundabouts. I’d say it is down to Klopp, he signed them.

Given his injury, I’m prepared to cut Diaz a bit more slack. Sometimes it takes players a little longer to get back to full speed, see Gomez. 

However, I would question has he gotten any better than when we signed him? After his first half season, pretty much unanimously we thought he needed more goals and assists and approaching 2.5 years later, despite all his great skill and play at times, that’s still the case. 

I feel a bit for Gakpo as he’s been shifted around all over the attack this season. I genuinely think there is a player in there. IMO, he needs a run of games where he’s going to start as #9 or #11 and see how he does. 

He’s certainly got a lot more of a football brain than Nunez. Little things, like his header yesterday, when have you see Nunez check his run like that to avoid being offside? The header was a beauty as well, when have we seen Nunez do that?

Personally, I’d be more prepared to stick with Gakpo than with Diaz and / or Nunez. 

He's one of the most protected players in the squad both online and in the stadium so him getting shitty because after two years the tide is turning and people are starting to want improvement from him doesn't really wash.

Needs to get his head down and start listening to what the coaches must be telling him not making performative gestures on social media.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rushies tash said:

The chance they had when Gomez cleared off the line, Richardson looked offside in the build up. Sky never showed it again, but had it led to a goal, it would have been chalked off.

True, not the overall point I’m making. 

He might have been offside once but held his run the other c.5 times really well. 

Nunez would be offside c.5 times and onside once. 

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

True, not the overall point I’m making. 

He might have been offside once but held his run the other c.5 times really well. 

Nunez would be offside c.5 times and onside once. 

Salah through ball aside, our midfield take an absolute age to decide what they want to do with the ball. If you watch the game back, Tottenham's one touch passing was a million miles ahead of ours at times. Maybe Richarlson stays onside because the ball gets to him quicker. This isn't a blind defence of Nunez by the way. He's got a hell of a lot to do finishing wise to convince me. But his all round play makes him a better player to have in the team than not.

Much like last season he's been incredibly inconsistent and regressed and lost his place in the team by the end of the season. 

I just don't think he'll ever become the player that people want him to become.

If we get a decent offer in the summer we'd be mad not to take it.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Swings and roundabouts. I’d say it is down to Klopp, he signed them.

Given his injury, I’m prepared to cut Diaz a bit more slack. Sometimes it takes players a little longer to get back to full speed, see Gomez. 

However, I would question has he gotten any better than when we signed him? After his first half season, pretty much unanimously we thought he needed more goals and assists and approaching 2.5 years later, despite all his great skill and play at times, that’s still the case. 

I feel a bit for Gakpo as he’s been shifted around all over the attack this season. I genuinely think there is a player in there. IMO, he needs a run of games where he’s going to start as #9 or #11 and see how he does. 

He’s certainly got a lot more of a football brain than Nunez. Little things, like his header yesterday, when have you see Nunez check his run like that to avoid being offside? The header was a beauty as well, when have we seen Nunez do that?

Personally, I’d be more prepared to stick with Gakpo than with Diaz and / or Nunez. 

Yeah, Gakpo is the one I’m most confident in. Nunez doesn’t look like he’s the guy we signed him to be and Diaz could be out the door come summer. Gakpo has also been shunted all over the place from midfield to wing to striker. At the very worse he’s really good back up.

7 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

They did show it again.  I watched the match back when I got home last night.  It was tight but he looks on side and that’s from angle making him look further forward than he actually is.

Richarlison has been shite for years but he was really good when he come on.  He was crying about social media himself only recently as well though.  As if he hasn’t acted the cunt in nearly every game he plays and completely brought it all on himself.  The difference with Nunez is that he’s not a cheating knobhead who tries to wind everyone up but has took shit regardless from the moment he arrived.  It was only a matter of time before he snapped and did something like this.  Nunez is 100% capable of producing the equivalent performance that Richarlison put in but he definitely needs to work on the timing of his runs.  I would pretty much make it the only thing he trains outside of team training.

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The type of striker you are describing, who doesnt really do anything but score in the penalty area, doesnt really exist anymore. Except for Haaland. 

Hes the closest striker to what we need imo who’s available and for the right price unless something can be struck with Nunez and we cut our losses or a player swap deal.

I think his time is up 

I’m at the point where if the new guy has a look at him and decides he wants to keep him, then sound, it would be intriguing to see how that goes.

But equally, if he decided to sell, i’d have no problem with it at all and just wouldn’t be arsed.

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I have always loved the supportive way Liverpool fans get behind their players. Especially during tougher periods!

He's had almost unanimous support for going on 2 years, at some point he has to justify that support without people gaslighting supporters that they're the ones in the wrong to expect more.

6 minutes ago, The Guest said:

They did show it again.  I watched the match back when I got home last night.  It was tight but he looks on side and that’s from angle making him look further forward than he actually is.

Richarlison has been shite for years but he was really good when he come on.  He was crying about social media himself only recently as well though.  As if he hasn’t acted the cunt in nearly every game he plays and completely brought it all on himself.  The difference with Nunez is that he’s not a cheating knobhead who tries to wind everyone up but has took shit regardless from the moment he arrived.  It was only a matter of time before he snapped and did something like this.  Nunez is 100% capable of producing the equivalent performance that Richarlison put in but he definitely needs to work on the timing of his runs.  I would pretty much make it the only thing he trains outside of team training.

I've just watched it back and I think the lines would have had him off. But, yeah, it's tight. What's also noticeable is that the Spurs player (Son I think) sees his run and plays it quickly, rather than take an extra touch, turn inside, come back again, take another touch before deciding to knock it forward.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I have always loved the supportive way Liverpool fans get behind their players. Especially during tougher periods!

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Best fans in the world 

What posts in here do you both disagree with? It’s certainly one of the more adult conversations on here. 

I’m sure nobody on here went on Instagram last night and gave him pelters.

We all want, well I certainly do, Nunez to become the 25+ goal a season striker we all anticipated him to be. There are serious question marks and whether he’ll get there and I think the vast majority of comments are fair.