You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Curtis Jones

liverpoolsno9

I didn’t want him gone, but I did question whether he should leave for his own good, given how so much of his verve and creativity had been drilled out of him in service of making him a safety first Klopp midfielder. 

We’re starting to see it surface again now he’s excelling doing the dirty work, and he’s become a real athlete to boot. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Chris said:

I didn’t want him gone, but I did question whether he should leave for his own good, given how so much of his verve and creativity had been drilled out of him in service of making him a safety first Klopp midfielder. 

We’re starting to see it surface again now he’s excelling doing the dirty work, and he’s become a real athlete to boot. 

Our change in style and shape has helped with that. Up until the Arsenal game in April, our two number 8’s were more functional and had a specific role covering the marauding full backs but now they form part of the front 5 so are much more involved from a creativity perspective.

That suits Curtis down to the ground.

His ability to stay fit has helped too.

1 hour ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

That's actually really good - would wind up a few people given that Lee Mavers is an Evertonian too. 

But the best thing about that video is the fart on 7 seconds - 'Hang on'  - just gets it out and gets on with it. Immense. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/01/2024 at 08:26, Chris said:

I thought the same thing. 

But maybe Klopp just saw Curtis weaknesses and wanted him to focus on that in order to make him a fully rounded midfielder. 

A lesser manager might have just let Curtis play to his strengths week in week out, and he'd do a decent job at it, but ultimately he'd be a one trick pony who is good creatively going forward but was technically limited and tends to lose possession often, and that wouldn't suit the way an elite team would want to play. 

Now we've got a player with that natural creativity, but has also gone up several levels in terms of game intelligence, meaning he knows when to hit that switch and burst forward, and when to focus on retaining possession and waiting for the better opportunity to come. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Aventus said:

and when to focus on retaining possession 

There was a moment just before he came off tonight when he was holding onto the ball brilliantly, with 3 or 4 Chelsea players trying to dispossess him.  At that stage of the match it was clearly the right thing to do and he executed it perfectly.

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There was a moment just before he came off tonight when he was holding onto the ball brilliantly, with 3 or 4 Chelsea players trying to dispossess him.  At that stage of the match it was clearly the right thing to do and he executed it perfectly.

Gini-esque

• Upvote 1

Theres been a few things said by himself and a interview Milner did that makes you think he just wasn't fully focused on everything for a while. He said in the LFC podcast interview that Gerrard said somethings to him that weren't nice but needed and hat first team players get on your case in training and it can take time to realise its for your own good to listen. That the coaches wanted him pressing and defending not just drifting without the ball. 

Speaking on the High Performance podcast, the 37-year-old said: “One of the young lads at Liverpool who come through, amazing ability, bit of a joker, great lad but maybe didn’t apply himself as much as he could. He didn’t do what he should, all the time.  “I remember in pre-season and we’re in the ice baths and we had 10 minutes, 15 minutes talking at him and it was one of those where, yeah you feel he’s listening but you know it’s in one ear out the other. “You think, ‘we’re going to have to have that chat again’ and you get down the line and we have the conversation again and keep pushing him, every little thing. “It’s tough because you see so many players who are amazing and have the ability but don’t realise the opportunity they have until it’s gone and it’s too late and they’re 24, 25 and they’re out of the game because they haven’t embraced all the facilities. “They have everything and the kid at Liverpool is doing so well now and I’m delighted for him and you can see the character, how he’s changed and he’s kept that bubbliness and everything he’s about but he’s doing really well and his attitude’s top notch and you know, sometimes, you just need to help him find that path, or the right way to do that.”

Which i thought might have been Curtis. But ever since he came back from that injury at the back end of last season he has been as good as anyone in a red shirt. 

Theres a couple of guys online that do the tactics stuff that are not reds but love him

The thing with Curtis, like all our team at the moment is they aren’t just good players, they work fucking hard, harder than other teams. Football is fine margins, there are lots of good footy players, and hard work mixed with skill and knowledge will pay off. 

5 minutes ago, bossy said:

The thing with Curtis, like all our team at the moment is they aren’t just good players, they work fucking hard, harder than other teams. Football is fine margins, there are lots of good footy players, and hard work mixed with skill and knowledge will pay off. 

I like it, not sure of the tune though - is it Subterranean Homesick Blues? 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Me and Curtis, Curtis Jones, Curtis Jones Curtis Jones Curtis Jones

We've got a thing going on.

The first thing that enters my head when his name is mentioned.

Ironically I thought he had one of his poorer games of recent times last night. The tendency to overplay crept in a bit at times.

On 04/01/2024 at 11:15, El Rojo said:

That's actually really good - would wind up a few people given that Lee Mavers is an Evertonian too. 

But the best thing about that video is the fart on 7 seconds - 'Hang on'  - just gets it out and gets on with it. Immense. 

I missed that first time, but pissing myself watching it now.

I think it’s great - I think the lalala bit would be the “bounce” part 

On 04/01/2024 at 11:18, El Rojo said:

Selling this guy after the song was criminal. I'd have sacrificed trophies to keep him for it. 

I liked Kabak. I wonder how he’s getting on now

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

A bit of a mixed bag at Hoffenheim as they were doing well but then dropped away. Still in with a chance of Europe next season though.

Nice one mate - I was going to have a google, but got distracted!