You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

9 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I don’t think people realise how despised the Labour Party is now. I live in the North East and it’s ground zero here now. It’s not about a person or a policy, their name is just toxic. Working class people hate the party.

Basically, what you have seen in Scotland is drifting South and the fucking idiots in charge are just ignoring it.

Maybe down your way, but around me (Southern Northumberland/North Tyneside) there is still a bit of a Labour stranglehold in most spots. Although it's definitely on the wane. 

22 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

What are the reasons for that?

Eu lovers like you?

No seriously Labour has lost the working class through their perceived support of gangsters, free enterprise merchants and rich moneymakers like those who fly cheap Labour into Britain on a plane. The labour party are no longer seen as the protective arm against the people like below who have flooded almost every town in Britain, gangmasters who pay no tax, abide by no laws and have little regard to the people of the towns in which they operate. Scumbags of the most odious kind. 

The Labour elite are a million miles away from understanding the perils and fears of the working class voters they used to represent. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-56988881

2 hours ago, scottthecanuck said:

From Guardian's coverage 

"Labour’s candidate Williams rushed out of the election count by the back door and was whisked off in a red Ford Fiesta."

LOL jeezus what a strange observation.

Given their penchant for hanging things they don't like, you can understand this.

EDIT: Gnasher beat me to it.

'People in Hartlepool regard this as a done deal. It’s behind them. Yes, they gave their votes in many cases to the man who they think delivered Brexit for them - that was Boris Johnson. But they weren’t seeking to reopen that issue and they weren’t laying it at the doorstep of the Labour candidate.

Having said that, I would acknowledge this, and I think it is a broader and frankly more interesting point, that Brexit attitudes - the sort of cultural or social values or outlook that we associate with Brexit, rather than the issue itself - [are] still present in voters in Hartlepool, and elsewhere in northern England. And that’s something the Labour party has got to understand and to come to terms with.

In a sense it’s Brexit values, or a cultural set of attitudes, that have overlain the economic interests, or the class identity, that people have in a constituency like Hartlepool. And the Labour party is not making that cultural connection with those people.

And it’s not about whether or not we’re in the European Union. It’s about broader social attitudes and a broader cultural outlook that people have, which the Labour party has got to understand and connect with once again if we’re going to stand any chance of winning back the support and votes of those people.'

Mandelson 2021.

45 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I don’t think people realise how despised the Labour Party is now. I live in the North East and it’s ground zero here now. It’s not about a person or a policy, their name is just toxic. Working class people hate the party.

Basically, what you have seen in Scotland is drifting South and the fucking idiots in charge are just ignoring it.

This. 100% this.

6 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Not good, really, is it. 

E0vEuD8X0AQXrvN?format=jpg&name=medium

He's backed it, but not signed this individual letter is the case, isn't it?

Methinks this is muckraking as the person most alligned with Starmer for Unite is looking the most likely to succeed Big Len when he shuffles off.

34 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Eu lovers like you?

No seriously Labour has lost the working class through their perceived support of gangsters, free enterprise merchants and rich moneymakers like those who fly cheap Labour into Britain on a plane. The labour party are no longer seen as the protective arm against the people like below who have flooded almost every town in Britain, gangmasters who pay no tax, abide by no laws and have little regard to the people of the towns in which they operate. Scumbags of the most odious kind. 

The Labour elite are a million miles away from understanding the perils and fears of the working class voters they used to represent. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-56988881

I know your take on it (and I know it doesn't match my experience); I was wondering what vibes Brownie is getting in the North East. 

16 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:
16 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

'People in Hartlepool regard this as a done deal. It’s behind them. Yes, they gave their votes in many cases to the man who they think delivered Brexit for them - that was Boris Johnson. But they weren’t seeking to reopen that issue and they weren’t laying it at the doorstep of the Labour candidate.

This is very very wrong. Many detested the Labour candidate and the party itself because they were seen as being in the remain camp. The fact that the referendum is done, that it went their way is of no consequence to these xenophobic hate filled cretins.

2 minutes ago, aws said:

The remainers  are detested by many not because they voted remain but because they tried to re-run the result.  

I think it's more that leavers are generally moronic, royal family shagging, racist, gullible twats and remainers are generally the exact opposite. The Brexit vote just drew a battle line. 

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think it's more that leavers are generally moronic, royal family shagging, racist, gullible twats and remainers are generally the exact opposite. The Brexit vote just drew a battle line. 

This kind of attitude really doesn’t help. I know loads who voted Leave and they aren’t anything like that.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It isnt like you to make sweeping statements like that

5 minutes ago, Brownie said:

This kind of attitude really doesn’t help. I know loads who voted Leave and they aren’t anything like that.

4 minutes ago, A Red said:

It isnt like you to make sweeping statements like that

Fucking hell it's almost as if you haven't both been reading this and the Elections thread all morning. 

18 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Fucking hell it's almost as if you haven't both been reading this and the Elections thread all morning. 

The point still stands, whether you were taking the piss or actually think that. Plenty do and it is a big part of the problem.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Brownie said:

The point still stands, whether you were taking the piss or actually think that. Plenty do and it is a big part of the problem.

To be fair though as you say a lot of leavers are exactly as Stig described in jest, and I'm obviously no lover of the EU and those who sail in her.