You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

We had four people defending outside the box, it was more of a mix up between Endo and Elliott that lost us the ball and when Elliott loses the ball there is no chance of him making a foul or catching the Manc who took it off him. Plus the finish was in from the post, he could not have hit it any better.

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

He is far, far from a Championship level player.

He has over 100 appearances for one of the best sides we've ever had and he's still only 20.

He's been ran into the red zone the last few weeks.

He's not. The championship is his level, maybe at a stretch a lower league premiership player but I'm probably being kind there.

What has he shown since his injury that he's a top level player that can be a starter for one of the biggest clubs in the world? Even as a squad player he doesn't do much, either as a starter or as a sub. 

I don't want to shit on him, he clearly gets what it means to play for Liverpool. He tries his heart out but most of us would. But he has no right foot, no pace, little physicality, can't win a header, his pressing is weak and he can't tackle. Where does that leave him?

He certainly isn't a forward in the front 3. He just cuts back inside and plays the easy option 90% of the time. And he can't play in the midfield for the reasons above.

He'll be sold by the next manager within 2 seasons, I'd be shocked if he stays.

He might have 100 games but Klopp never shits on his own signings. We saw that with Kieta. He plays them and gives them time (far too much time sometimes) to improve. If Jones, Bajtetic and Thiago were fit I doubt he'd be getting as much game time either.

8 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Sending 9 up for a corner in the last minute when the scores were level and leaving an inexperienced  teenager at the back on his own in a hostile pumped up Old Trafford was probably the single worst decision Klopp has ever made as a manager. Utter madness.  

Did klopp really make that decision? I just think the players make that call and they did what they do on every corner. I do agree it was a massive mistake the time of the game should alter some thinking, I just struggle to see klopp taking part in that decision. 

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

Unpalatable as it is, United had by far the better chances during the game.

Don't think you're wrong, but by and large most of the best chances either came from us doing something daft, or us not doing something good to prevent it, oh and them being offside.

Had a chat with my dad earlier and we agreed on "we deserved to lose, but we should've won" as being the summary.

22 hours ago, Code said:

His decision making directly led to the mancs scoring the winner. 

Seems you have a selective memory, Mister Code.

Because you fail to acknowledge Elliot's goal also gave us a 3-2 lead in extra time. Which the team should have defended till the end but didn't due to an error by Nunez leading directly to an equaliser. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Sending 9 up for a corner in the last minute when the scores were level and leaving an inexperienced  teenager at the back on his own in a hostile pumped up Old Trafford was probably the single worst decision Klopp has ever made as a manager. Utter madness.  

Was it a Klopp decision though? I reckon many of the decisions in those situations happen spontaneously through the players on the field taking responsibility. Of course, Klopp should have said something if he wasn't fine with it though.

1 hour ago, Mil-ing Around said:

He's not. The championship is his level, maybe at a stretch a lower league premiership player but I'm probably being kind there.

What has he shown since his injury that he's a top level player that can be a starter for one of the biggest clubs in the world? Even as a squad player he doesn't do much, either as a starter or as a sub. 

I don't want to shit on him, he clearly gets what it means to play for Liverpool. He tries his heart out but most of us would. But he has no right foot, no pace, little physicality, can't win a header, his pressing is weak and he can't tackle. Where does that leave him?

He certainly isn't a forward in the front 3. He just cuts back inside and plays the easy option 90% of the time. And he can't play in the midfield for the reasons above.

He might have 100 games but Klopp never shits on his own signings. We saw that with Kieta. He plays them and gives them time (far too much time sometimes) to improve. If Jones, Bajtetic and Thiago were fit I doubt he'd be getting as much game time either.

Load of nonsense. Doubling down on Elliot being a championship player simply shows you can't be taken seriously on this topic.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Did klopp really make that decision? I just think the players make that call and they did what they do on every corner. I do agree it was a massive mistake the time of the game should alter some thinking, I just struggle to see klopp taking part in that decision. 

He could have called VD and Gomez to stay back. I think everyone was lost in the adrenaline to make sensible decisions. 

15 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

He could have called VD and Gomez to stay back. I think everyone was lost in the adrenaline to make sensible decisions. 

Gomez stayed way back. He was even behind Klopp.

There was nothing particularly wrong with that corner.

2 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

I wasn't 100% sure about him but he's been brilliant this season.

In terms of what he does, he scores goals, he creates goals, he works his arse off and never stops running,his pressing is fine too. He's still only 20 years old by the way! 

You say Klopp never shits on his own signings but he's been very quick to make it clear to Harvey's friend from his Fulham days Fabio Carvalho that he doesn't feature here. 

For a player with his build, he needs to become a Bernardo Silva type. Obviously he's not at that level yet, but I think he can get there. 

I don't know what you've been watching this season if you can't see what he offers.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Supremolad said:

Load of nonsense. Doubling down on Elliot being a championship player simply shows you can't be taken seriously on this topic.

Ok fair enough 

In the other Elliot thread you said "I'm clearly watching the wrong sport" I ignored it because it's a forum and everyone Is allowed an opinion. So I respected yours. 

But what I will say is, I've played competitive 11 a side football for 20+ years. I've done my coaching badges to a decent level. I've managed and coached sides and won around 50 trophies including multiple player of the seasons, manager of the season etc. I have friends, who I played with regularly, become professional footballers and play in the premier League. I have friends who played in the championship and captained their sides at Anfield. I still play until this day and there are quite a few ex premier league footballers in my league. I've been around professional footballers my whole life, played with and against them.

I know how good you have to be to make it to the very top and stay there. Elliot misses alot of things elite players should see and do. If you're that small you better be fucking quick or have outstanding technique/vision/passing. He doesn't. He has good technique but he doesn't see or execute the things a player at the very top needs to stay there. His passing is ok/average. He's a decent player and saying he's championship level or lower premier league level is not a put down. It's just what he is. It's pretty obvious too.

Stacks saying Klopp has played a championship u20 player for many seasons is a null point. Klopp is a fucking one off, no other manager in the world gives what he gives to players. He backs them, develops them, gives them confidence and plays them even if they make loads of mistakes. His stature in the game means he gets no criticism for it. And rightly so. He's earned his stripes both on and off the field. He also rarely sells the players he buys and replaces them with someone else (after 1 or 2 seasons). How many other managers are like that?

Do people really think the next manager is going to do the same? He might want to but he'll be under more pressure to win and succeed and that's the moment he'll sell some players and buy better ones. That's what the top 10 clubs in the world do. It's why you have to be so good to stay there. Elliot isn't and I'd be shocked if he ever will be because he has so much going against him. Height, speed, power, one footed, passing, heading, tackling... he's lacking all those things. 

54 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

I wasn't 100% sure about him but he's been brilliant this season.

In terms of what he does, he scores goals, he creates goals, he works his arse off and never stops running,his pressing is fine too. He's still only 20 years old by the way! 

You say Klopp never shits on his own signings but he's been very quick to make it clear to Harvey's friend from his Fulham days Fabio Carvalho that he doesn't feature here. 

For a player with his build, he needs to become a Bernardo Silva type. Obviously he's not at that level yet, but I think he can get there. 

I don't know what you've been watching this season if you can't see what he offers.

He played very well in the City game and was our best player in the first half when everyone else was shit pretty much.

His work rate is great but it should be a given. Sure he's scored goals but assists mean less in todays game. He rolled the ball to Nunez who banged one in from 25 yards once. It's hardly a defence splitting pass. But he got an assist for it.

Fair enough about Carvalho that's a good point but largely Klopp doesn't get rid. That's why so many players leave on a free.

Disagree about his pressing, he tries for sure, and it's probably why Klopps kept faith. But he can't actually tackle anyone. He can't intercept, his legs are too small! He often sells himself too, he's actually really easy to beat and play around if you watch him when he presses. 

He'll never reach Bernardo Silva's level. Because Bernardo can actually beat players and go past them. Elliot can't. His technique is elite level and he never loses the ball. He's also much quicker than he looks.

Anyway let's see, I genuinely hope I'm wrong about Elliot because every club needs a good squad and players with the right attitude, he definitely has that. But I think he'll be one of the first few to go under a new manager and it won't be to another top 10 club in the world. And it won't be to a top 6 club in the premier league. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Well Gomez wasn't on the pitch and if he was, he would almost certainly have stayed back. I've absolutely no issue with vvd going forward to try and win it. He's our best player in the air. We could have just given some help to Bradley as it was last minute. 

Just looked at the winner again, its even worse from Elliott than I thought.

Endo was in control of that ball, then Elliott probably tells him to leave it, only for Elliott to fuck it all up.

Yes we should have had more security at the back in the dying seconds of the game, but that fourth goal was all down to Elliott.

Kelleher should have saved it though. 

13 hours ago, sir roger said:

Unpalatable as it is, United had by far the better chances during the game.

You think any of their chances were better than Mo's volley that went inches wide of the post? Admittedly it was difficult but once he'd made contact I thought it was in.

7 hours ago, Code said:

Just looked at the winner again, its even worse from Elliott than I thought.

Endo was in control of that ball, then Elliott probably tells him to leave it, only for Elliott to fuck it all up.

Yes we should have had more security at the back in the dying seconds of the game, but that fourth goal was all down to Elliott.

Kelleher should have saved it though. 

You must be the first one to do so in this thread.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Not for me either. He's a championship level player living the dream. Having a good attitude and work rate shouldn't even be in the discussion to play for Liverpool.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Ok fair enough 

In the other Elliot thread you said "I'm clearly watching the wrong sport" I ignored it because it's a forum and everyone Is allowed an opinion. So I respected yours. 

But what I will say is, I've played competitive 11 a side football for 20+ years. I've done my coaching badges to a decent level. I've managed and coached sides and won around 50 trophies including multiple player of the seasons, manager of the season etc. I have friends, who I played with regularly, become professional footballers and play in the premier League. I have friends who played in the championship and captained their sides at Anfield. I still play until this day and there are quite a few ex premier league footballers in my league. I've been around professional footballers my whole life, played with and against them.

I know how good you have to be to make it to the very top and stay there. Elliot misses alot of things elite players should see and do. If you're that small you better be fucking quick or have outstanding technique/vision/passing. He doesn't. He has good technique but he doesn't see or execute the things a player at the very top needs to stay there. His passing is ok/average. He's a decent player and saying he's championship level or lower premier league level is not a put down. It's just what he is. It's pretty obvious too.

Stacks saying Klopp has played a championship u20 player for many seasons is a null point. Klopp is a fucking one off, no other manager in the world gives what he gives to players. He backs them, develops them, gives them confidence and plays them even if they make loads of mistakes. His stature in the game means he gets no criticism for it. And rightly so. He's earned his stripes both on and off the field. He also rarely sells the players he buys and replaces them with someone else (after 1 or 2 seasons). How many other managers are like that?

Do people really think the next manager is going to do the same? He might want to but he'll be under more pressure to win and succeed and that's the moment he'll sell some players and buy better ones. That's what the top 10 clubs in the world do. It's why you have to be so good to stay there. Elliot isn't and I'd be shocked if he ever will be because he has so much going against him. Height, speed, power, one footed, passing, heading, tackling... he's lacking all those things. 

He played very well in the City game and was our best player in the first half when everyone else was shit pretty much.

His work rate is great but it should be a given. Sure he's scored goals but assists mean less in todays game. He rolled the ball to Nunez who banged one in from 25 yards once. It's hardly a defence splitting pass. But he got an assist for it.

Fair enough about Carvalho that's a good point but largely Klopp doesn't get rid. That's why so many players leave on a free.

Disagree about his pressing, he tries for sure, and it's probably why Klopps kept faith. But he can't actually tackle anyone. He can't intercept, his legs are too small! He often sells himself too, he's actually really easy to beat and play around if you watch him when he presses. 

He'll never reach Bernardo Silva's level. Because Bernardo can actually beat players and go past them. Elliot can't. His technique is elite level and he never loses the ball. He's also much quicker than he looks.

Anyway let's see, I genuinely hope I'm wrong about Elliot because every club needs a good squad and players with the right attitude, he definitely has that. But I think he'll be one of the first few to go under a new manager and it won't be to another top 10 club in the world. And it won't be to a top 6 club in the premier league. 

I have to say that I agree with a lot of that. What I will also say is that Elliott still has a chance to develop into a PL regular,but that part is up to him. The alarm bells were ringing regarding his so called ill discipline phase during injury but that could be all just crap as most of that stuff is. Elliott's attitude now and in the near future will determine his long term career. Let's hope he makes good decisions.

I really don't get this obsession with him, and then also Gakpo. Gakpo is the 5th forward and Elliott is like the 5th or 6th midfielder.

Are we supposed to be doing much better than those two in those places in the squad? They didn't cost much money combined, they're both still at ages where they can get better and they are both producing at a good level. Period.

39 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I really don't get this obsession with him, and then also Gakpo. Gakpo is the 5th forward and Elliott is like the 5th or 6th midfielder.

Are we supposed to be doing much better than those two in those places in the squad? They didn't cost much money combined, they're both still at ages where they can get better and they are both producing at a good level. Period.

Spot on this. We are in a privileged position of having these as backups to backups. Obviously we're hamstrung by injuries so when games like Sunday occur it's your 5th choice players who will usually mess up/not perform/get it in the neck.