You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Real Madrid 3 (May 26 2018)

tlw content

Karius never slipped. A slip is a accident not a fuck up. Plus he has form.

Gerrards was not in my opinion an error or a failure of technique.

I know he didn't slip, it was a massive fuck up. It was also something that happens so rarely that I can't actually even remember seeing it before by any keeper, ever. Hence me bemoaning the freakish aspect and "why always us" aspect of it. That's the comparison I'm making with the slip.

Also, the more I think about it the more I don't think the first one was specifically about him not handling the pressure. I think that could just as easily have happened in any game he played in, but it's typical of the last decade that it happened when it really mattered. I feel it was incredibly careless rather than something born out of nerves or panic, but I suppose only he really knows what he was feeling in that specific moment.

The second mistake was the opposite. That was pressure and a result of his head being up his arse after his first mistake.

It's just hard to believe that first one actually happened as it was so outrageously lax.

The point made by Sir Roger above is a good one. He is often in too much of a rush and needs to calm the fuck down. Pretty sure he will now, but the horse has already bolted with the European Cup in its saddle bag unfortunately.

• Upvote 2

I know he didn't slip, it was a massive fuck up. It was also something that happens so rarely that I can't actually even remember seeing it before by any keeper, ever. Hence me bemoaning the freakish aspect and "why always us" aspect of it. That's the comparison I'm making with the slip.

Also, the more I think about it the more I don't think the first one was specifically about him not handling the pressure. I think that could just as easily have happened in any game he played in, but it's typical of the last decade that it happened when it really mattered. I feel it was incredibly careless rather than something born out of nerves or panic, but I suppose only he really knows what he was feeling in that specific moment.

It's just hard to believe that first one actually happened as it was so outrageously lax.

The point made by Sir Roger above is a good one. He is often in too much of a rush and needs to calm the fuck down. Pretty sure he will now, but the horse has already bolted with the European Cup in its saddle bag unfortunately.

Also, had the referee awarded the free-kick for off-side against the goal scorer 10 seconds earlier, the opportunity for this craziness would never have arisen.

Sliding doors.

• Upvote 1

To lose in the final like that after being the best team in the competition and the top scorers is just awful just harrowing I'm sick of football right now. I don't want to love a game where someone like Sergio Ramos is rewarded and admired and someone like Mo Salah is punished and injured.

I'm with you on that one.

The second mistake was the opposite. That was pressure and a result of his head being up his arse after his first mistake.

It’s never happened before as no other keeper has been stupid enough to throw it at that height when an opposing player is a foot away from him. It’s staggering, it really is. Why didn’t he bowl it overarm so he can’t intercept? Or I don’t know, chill the fuck out. It was 0-0 and no urgency was required. We have some fucking braindead players and the goalies are the worst.

He is always in a rush and the city cl goal was because he was so eager to get rid. We were 3 nil up ffs.

• Upvote 1

It’s never happened before as no other keeper has been stupid enough to throw it at that height when an opposing player is a foot away from him. It’s staggering, it really is. Why didn’t he bowl it overarm so he can’t intercept? Or I don’t know, chill the fuck out. It was 0-0 and no urgency was required. We have some fucking braindead players and the goalies are the worst.

He is always in a rush and the city cl goal was because he was so eager to get rid. We were 3 nil up ffs.

Yep and he was rushing throwing the ball out quickly when we were 5 - 0 up against Roma at home. He's an accident waiting to happen and we just need to upgrade on him for next season. 

I'm not defending him here, and I'd want him to calm the fuck down, but is it not possible Klopp has instructed him to get the ball moving quickly and put us on the front foot, heavy metal football and all that.

Obviously he could do this without throwing it at someones foot and conceding the worst goal you'll ever see in a CL final.

Two mistakes and a worldie beat us.

Even then I'd say it was Bales first goal that took the wind right out of our sails.

We'd just equalised against a team that hadn't threatened (they'd hit the bar and that was it) and we'd scored a decent goal from one of several corners we'd forced.

We were arguably getting back on top and possibly could've forced extra time or even a win.

That Bale goal, while brilliantly taken, was the moment I thought we were done

for. T see that fly in after giving them the first one and fighting back.....well.

The third was academic really and a real kick to the nuts for Karius and the rest of us.

I guess we'll never really know about Ramos' ability to injure opposition players to the point where they have to go off, I thought initially he'd meant to foul Salah and the injury was (to them) a bonus.

Perhaps someone could do a fact finder on whether he's got history for this and, if so, expose it.

He's a massive shithouse anyway (holding his face to get Mane booked later on as an example), and Madrid have that side to them, which, like it or not, is one reason why they've picked up the cup.

We kept CR7, Benzema, Isco etc quiet with a brilliant defensive display and still came up short because when one of our best players went off, we couldn't substitute with anything like equal quality and because obvious shortcomings that have been there for far too long weren't addressed.

We'll kick on though, Madrid will just get older and less effective.

The future is ours, if it's managed properly. 

I'm not defending him here, and I'd want him to calm the fuck down, but is it not possible Klopp has instructed him to get the ball moving quickly and put us on the front foot, heavy metal football and all that.

Obviously he could do this without throwing it at someones foot and conceding the worst goal you'll ever see in a CL final.

I agree he's clearly been told to play on the front foot and quickly but theres times he needs to engage his brain and also listen to his teammates.

In the city game VVD was actually telling him he didn't want the ball (A match we were 3-0 up in and needed to keep it tight) and I remember in the Roma game when we went 5-0 up he restarted the game quickly and put Robertson under pressure when there was no need too.

If he was meeting the wizard of Oz he'd be asking for a brain.

Even if he has been told to get on the front foot by Klopp, surely the state of the game dictates when and when not to be so hasty. I hark back to the city game and it’s the second minute and we are three up. Chill the fuck out. No problem with him attempting the throw on Saturday, it was the execution of said throw that rankles. How or why even attempt to do that? It’s frazzling my head still.

The way I see the first goal is like when you are driving your car on the road approaching a junction with a car waiting to pull out. The divvie at the junction sees you coming but still pulls out in front of you because he thinks you will either slow down so as not to hit him or that he can get across the road before you get there. It is a brain fart goal. Yes he should not have done it but he did.

Two mistakes and a worldie beat us.

Even then I'd say it was Bales first goal that took the wind right out of our sails.

We'd just equalised against a team that hadn't threatened (they'd hit the bar and that was it) and we'd scored a decent goal from one of several corners we'd forced.

We were arguably getting back on top and possibly could've forced extra time or even a win.

That Bale goal, while brilliantly taken, was the moment I thought we were done

for. T see that fly in after giving them the first one and fighting back.....well.

The third was academic really and a real kick to the nuts for Karius and the rest of us.

I guess we'll never really know about Ramos' ability to injure opposition players to the point where they have to go off, I thought initially he'd meant to foul Salah and the injury was (to them) a bonus.

Perhaps someone could do a fact finder on whether he's got history for this and, if so, expose it.

He's a massive shithouse anyway (holding his face to get Mane booked later on as an example), and Madrid have that side to them, which, like it or not, is one reason why they've picked up the cup.

We kept CR7, Benzema, Isco etc quiet with a brilliant defensive display and still came up short because when one of our best players went off, we couldn't substitute with anything like equal quality and because obvious shortcomings that have been there for far too long weren't addressed.

We'll kick on though, Madrid will just get older and less effective.

The future is ours, if it's managed properly. 

Yeah, teams don't normally come back from goal a goal as good as Bale's - that puts you behind for the second time in a match.

Even if he has been told to get on the front foot by Klopp, surely the state of the game dictates when and when not to be so hasty. I hark back to the city game and it’s the second minute and we are three up. Chill the fuck out. No problem with him attempting the throw on Saturday, it was the execution of said throw that rankles. How or why even attempt to do that? It’s frazzling my head still.

Yep.

There are certain times you have to judge the state of play and think for yourself, even if it momentarily "disobeys" the manager.

And any good manager, including Klopp, would be fine with that I'm sure.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more made in the meeja of Ramos' elbow to Karius' head. I know it wasn't properly shown on Live TV - too busy re-running the replay of Isco's shank that hit the bar, but I would have thought that more would have been made of it afterwards.

A few thoughts now I'm back home:

1     I don't want this result to define our season; we have been brilliant all year but the gods conspired against us on satdee

2     I've played a lot of Rugby and, on numerous occasions, have wanted to hurt an oppostion player. I learned quite quickly it cannot happen as blatantly as you plan; you have to hope a chance drops into your lap. But when it does, holding onto an arm and falling on it is an excellent ruse. Ramos didn't have an exact plan in his head, just a wish to hurt Mo when he could. And he did.

3     Loris is having a worse day than you right now. It was heartbreaking watching him try to apologise to fans after the game and no obvious support from colleagues. There is a saying in these parts, "You'll never walk alone". Give the guy some support for christ sake. Then buy a new goalie.

4     Robertson showed a lot of leadership after the game. He led the team to applaud the supporters. Great player, top lad.

• Upvote 4

Saw Gary Sprake (Leeds and Wales) drop the ball behind him trying an over arm throw in front of the Kop (when it was the real one) back in the 60s on a shitty pitch. Rolled back into the net before anyone could reach it. Took everyone by surprise, were stunned into silence at first. Then we started laughing.

Saw Gary Sprake (Leeds and Wales) drop the ball behind him trying an over arm throw in front of the Kop (when it was the real one) back in the 60s on a shitty pitch. Rolled back into the net before anyone could reach it. Took everyone by surprise, were stunned into silence at first. Then we started laughing.

Snowy pitch never mind shitty!

Decent article about it here:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rip-careless-hands-tributes-paid-12051727

I only got home today,didn’t have an ounce of sympathy before,during or after my near 24 hour journey,just seen the goals on the news and I will never feel sorry for him,why should I?

He has shown an awful lack of professionalism on both counts,as you say in your report (which is a great report by the way)when have you ever seen that happen so to do it in the European cup final is totally unforgivable,having just seen the second from behind the goal it is fuck’n horrendous and brutally exposes his total lack of the required ability,this was the fuck’n European cup final so no,i don’t feel sorry for him and never will.

It might sound awful, but I'd honestly chuckle if I hear Ramos has died in his sleep. Fucking hell, I didn't think I could hate a footballer this much but here we are....

Ludicrous thing to say.

The hateful twat wouldn’t even suffer.