You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

It is an awful pity both VVD and Karius were involved in the 2 goals. Aside from those errors I thought but were excellent and if we had seen it out this game would have been a huge step forward for both especially Karius. I have no worries over VVD. He is class. Already seeing flashes of it. I saw a small tiny miniscule glimmer of hope there for Karius. A mere flicker.

• Upvote 1

Pick Lovren next week? No fucking chance!

As soon as he started coming out with quotes about being back to his best I’d never let him near the fucking youth team. I’d ban him from ever giving interviews.

It doesn’t matter with Lovren if he plays well for 88 minutes he’ll find a way to fuck it all up.

• Upvote 1

Think it has to be Lovren and VVD again next week.

They were both decent yesterday and Matip looks a bit to lethargic at times for me. 

I'd play them solely for the booing from the Southampton crowd.  It'll be hilarious. Well, provided we win!

• Upvote 1

Im no fan of Lovren but Matip has been at fault for as many goals this year easily.

Matip is far too lethargic most of the times. Lovren playing on the front foot suits VVD better imo, though we need a new CB either in the summer

I agree, Matip has been woeful all year. He's just generally less dramatic in his shiteness than Lovren.

It would IMHO help him settle and the defence as a unit if Klopp would stop making so many changes.

Centre halves need to develop partnerships for starters - playing with a different partner almost game to game and or being in and out the side is not gonna help build understanding which helps with the building of a solid unit.

Hopefully from now until end of season we can see a bit more consitency in the line up and the understanding developed further.

• Upvote 1

Lovren and VD have to be given a run

Agree with that. Thought they both looked good yesterday. Kane didn't get a sniff for all their possession and apart from a wonder strike and the officials we hardly looked in any real danger.

• Upvote 1

He is quality. Delighted we got him. Him and Gomez should be an excellent pairing for quite some time to come. I like Matip too but he's not been good lately. And Lovren has at least one mistake in him per game. And thats if we are lucky. If we are looking at anothwr CB to come in the summer i wouldnt mind Tah. Him and Van Dijk would be some pairing too i reckon.

Yeah, completely ridiculous. He has been excellent since he has been at the club. He’s getting more fit all the time. A quality long term signing and some are having a dig after four games. Four fucking games.

You can't be serious. Totally disregarding the pen yesterday, which I don't blame him at all for, he's been a bit shit. 

Ok, maybe it's because he isn't totally fit, fine. But if you think his current performance is "excellent", I don't know what to say. 

With Matip it's the stuff he doesn't do that costs us goals, with Lovren it's the stuff he does.

I think Lovren was alright yesterday apart from his shit clearance leading to their first pen. Don't care if Kane is offside or not, if Lovren sticks that ball into row z instead of slicing it backwards there's no controversy. If he has no decisions to make and we aren't expecting him to find a red shirt with his passing he can be okay. If Klavan's fit for Southampton I'd give him the nod though.

Lovren and VD have to be given a run

Agree with that. Thought they both looked good yesterday. Kane didn't get a sniff for all their possession and apart from a wonder strike and the officials we hardly looked in any real danger.

Agreed. The form of Matip is poor. Hopefully we get a partner for VVD this summer.

Up until yesterday I was in the Matip cam[p, but I agree that Lovren and VVD played very well against a very mobile attack, and should be given a chance to gel.

You can't be serious. Totally disregarding the pen yesterday, which I don't blame him at all for, he's been a bit shit.

Ok, maybe it's because he isn't totally fit, fine. But if you think his current performance is "excellent", I don't know what to say.

Yes, I’m serious. If anybody looks at his stellar debut or his performance yesterday as anything other than excellent, I’m not that interested in their view on anything.

Ever.

Yes, I’m serious. If anybody looks at his stellar debut or his performance yesterday as anything other than excellent, I’m not that interested in their view on anything.

Ever.

Fine. You argue things badly to the death for entire days on here, so I'm alright not getting into it with you on this subject.

Still, "excellent"? Not a good choice of words for a 75m centre back who hasn't helped us keep a single clean sheet yet.