You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How is this still a thing?

Is it just me or is Ed Sheeran absolute bollocks? What the fuck? surely everyone can hear that this cunt is shit. In about ten years people are going to take the piss out of this ginger cunt the same as they did of Art Garfunkel 80 years ago.

Ed Sheeran is shit.

He is a bit. It's just a shame that mainstream popular music is chocker with that much ghost written, overproduction shite passed on to reality tv stars and talentless wannabes that this guy is seen as some sort of alternative offering to it all. Would he have stood out 15-20 years ago? I doubt it.

He is a bit. It's just a shame that mainstream popular music is chocker with that much ghost written, overproduction shite passed on to reality tv stars and talentless wannabes that this guy is seen as some sort of alternative offering to it all. Would he have stood out 15-20 years ago? I doubt it.

This is pricesly my point. I don't think he's amazing but he writes, plays and sings all his own music. He's a talented musician. Quite why he's the focus of so many people's ire is beyond me when the industry is saturated with sameheads singing shite songs they haven't written with backing music added in 10 minutes in a studio by some pop-formula cunt with about 4 lyrics per song and people are lapping that up.

• Upvote 3

It's the complete over kill which makes me hate his output. The guy himself I've no problem with good luck too him and he does have talent but the sheer lack of decent musicians in popular music means this guy is painted as some genius and he ain't. I listen to podcasts more than music these days I'm so utterly bored with it I can't remember the last time I heard something new and thought this is great.

You hear songs in the charts/radio etc. that I could produce in 5 mins on GarageBand, literally. Sheeran is cut from a different cloth, he actually takes the time and effort to craft his music.

It's not everyone's cup of tea but it certainly has more artistic value than a lot of generic mainstream crap.

I don't know about the rest of you but I find it very easy to avoid the proliferation. With Spotify/YouTube/DAB/whatever other resource; you don't ever have to listen to shit you don't like.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You hear songs in the charts/radio etc. that I could produce in 5 mins on GarageBand, literally. Sheeran is cut from a different cloth, he actually takes the time and effort to craft his music.

It's not everyone's cup of tea but it certainly has more artistic value than a lot of generic mainstream crap.

I don't know about the rest of you but I find it very easy to avoid the proliferation. With Spotify/YouTube/DAB/whatever other resource; you don't ever have to listen to shit you don't like.

(Negged in error)

But that's not true is it? Unless you could make millions of pounds and have decided that as an artist money is beneath you. I could introduce you to Will.i.am if you want.

(Negged in error)

But that's not true is it? Unless you could make millions of pounds and have decided that as an artist money is beneath you. I could introduce you to Will.i.am if you want.

I also play guitar better than Noel Gallagher, doesn't mean I can make a living from it. Talent doesn't = millions. Marketability and being in the right place at the right time, on the other hand.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I also play guitar better than Noel Gallagher, doesn't mean I can make a living from it. Talent doesn't = millions. Marketability and being in the right place at the right time, on the other hand.

Loads of people get talent and success mixed up for some reason.

Most of the most talented musicians I've seen have been playing in front of two men and a dog in some jazz basement. Compared with Kylie Minogue who can't sing a fucking note and is probably a millionaire.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fans of John Oliver will be familiar with this idea. A thread for things that should really be obsolete but somehow aren't. I'll start with...

IMG_2567.jpg

... the phone box. Apparently there's 47,000 of these dotted around the UK. I genuinely can't remember the last time I saw somebody use one. Other than for helping drunk people to stand up straight, I have to ask how is this still a thing?

While we're on the subject: Can anyone here shed some light on the mysterious TEJRJWNE phone booth?

14099295_1645348402444112_1576258750_n.j

I mean what does TEJRJWNE mean, and what has it to do with Hyde?

TEJRJWNE Location

What a load of complete and utter bollocks.

I have no doubt you may be technically better than loads of guitarists but the talent is being able to write the music and songs.

As for the marketability why not write your music for other people?

I've heard the same fucking lame argument from footy players I've played with who were better than Nicky Butt etc etc etc but somehow they got dropped.

Mate, music is something I've lived since I was a child. The fact that I decided to take the academic route, as opposed to the far more volatile musical route, as a career choice, is completely irrelevant. There are countless people who'll never be heard from with more talent in their little finger than the chart toppers can muster. The football comparison isn't valid, generally in football the cream rises to the top - in music? Not the case.

• Upvote 4

No, no, moof. The music that the X Factor produces is the very best available. It is the absolute cream of the crop.

It is also true that most music in the UK outside of London is rubbish which is why most A&R men don't bother listening to it.

As for music made outside of the UK and the USA it is all a load of shite and needs to pull its socks up and put more effort in.

Mate, music is something I've lived since I was a child. The fact that I decided to take the academic route, as opposed to the far more volatile musical route, as a career choice, is completely irrelevant. There are countless people who'll never be heard from with more talent in their little finger than the chart toppers can muster. The football comparison isn't valid, generally in football the cream rises to the top - in music? Not the case.

I'm not doubting your skill, not for an instant. What I am doubting is you choosing the academic route over the millions, birds, drugs, mansions, birds, millions, more birds, private jets. I've no doubt there are better musicians than the Beatles, but they didn't do it did they?

Anyway you've convinced yourself, who,cares what I think?

I remember the Cruyff turn, well all he did was cross his legs, any idiot can do,that.