You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

FW RE: Michael Edwards (Transfer committee) LFChedgefund@gmail.com

Ryan Sessegnon

Ben Brereton

Ben Chilwell

"These are NOT the players you're looking for Michael. These ARE the ones you're looking for."

Young and relatively cheap English players are probably the smartest investment a club can make right now. We shouldn't be looking at them to be first team players right away, but we should definitely be in the market for them.

Young and relatively cheap English players are probably the smartest investment a club can make right now. We shouldn't be looking at them to be first team players right away, but we should definitely be in the market for them.

If we want to compete for trophies in the foreseeable future (and keep hold of the good players we do have) the best strategy would not be signing players 10 years predating their prime. 

• Upvote 1

If we want to compete for trophies in the foreseeable future (and keep hold of the good players we do have) the best strategy would not be signing players 10 years predating their prime. 

I don't think age really matters and I don't think Klopp thinks it matters either given his top targets seem to be an 18 year old kid (Pulisic) and a 20 year old (Brandt). Ousmane Dembele is 19 years old and he is already a top player. If you're good enough, you're good enough, no matter the age. 

I don't think age really matters and I don't think Klopp thinks it matters either given his top targets seem to be an 18 year old kid (Pulisic) and a 20 year old (Brandt). Ousmane Dembele is 19 years old and he is already a top player. If you're good enough, you're good enough, no matter the age. 

Age does matter though. That's why all the top players in the league range between 23-35. 

Ibe - Sadio

Skrtel - Matip

Allen - Wijnaldum

or, if you want an older one:

Kippe - Hyypia

I get your point, and more or less agree with it, but have to say that you're not exactly presenting the full picture.

Your replacements aside from Mane are clutching at straws sadly. Matip and Gini have a lot to do to prove they are quality. Not seen it so far from either of them.

The simple fact is:

We've never replaced Reina.

We've never replaced Carragher.

We've never replaced Alonso.

We've never replaced Mascherano.

We've never replaced Gerrard.

We've never replaced Suarez.

Your replacements aside from Mane are clutching at straws sadly. Matip and Gini have a lot to do to prove they are quality. Not seen it so far from either of them.

The simple fact is:

Matip will be boss.

Agreed, but who makes way for him though. Cant see him getting in front of Mane and they both play on the right. Im hoping we go balls deep for Reus or similar for our left hand side and he's using the budget for this

we'll sign Nathan Redmond and he'll be shite

Agreed, but who makes way for him though. Cant see him getting in front of Mane and they both play on the right. Im hoping we go balls deep for Reus or similar for our left hand side and he's using the budget for this

Reus would be an absolute disaster of a signing. He's got a 3-page injury history on Transfermarkt, ffs. 

http://www.transfermarkt.com/marco-reus/verletzungen/spieler/35207

The simple fact is:

Reina was replaceable granted but the other 5 you could argue were irreplaceable. Carra had a spirit and will to win as a local lad, same for Gerrard but was also the best of his generation in his position. Alonso again completely unique as a player. Not many players around as dogged as Mascherano and Suarez is utterly irreplaceable. There simply aren't the players out there right now certainly not in our current shopping market. Often our best signing of a window is keeping our best player.

I don't care at all what happens up front, all I want in this window is a really good centre back and a really mobile midfielder who is capable of breaking up a counterattack.

I mean, a left back would be nice, and a good young wide player who scores goals is always nice, but those are the two things we desperately need.  And give Karius til the end of the season and if he's not up to it, then a goalkeeper as well.

I know I predicted it at the beginning of the thread, but we always spend our time lusting after attackers when the truth is, our attack is good enough to win the league.  Sure, it needs some depth, but it really is that good.  Where we're lacking, as we have since Rafa left, is in defense.  That HAS to be the priority this window.  I would rather live with Milner for another season at left back and get a really ace centre back than I would split the money and get a B+ centre back and a B+ left back.

Paredes and van Dijk will do nicely.  Or similar.

A world class goalkeeper alone would save us at least 10 points a season. Karius cost us 3 points against Bournemouth and two points against West Ham. Mignolet cost us 2 points against Chelsea and i reckon we would've held out for a point against Hull if he doesn't spoon that save. There's more throughout the season as well, but they're the ones that immediately come to mind.

If we had a goalkeeper that instead of saving 50% of his shots saved 70% that would make more of a difference to this team than anybody brought into the defence.

The two most important positions for us to strengthen, and it's been this way for about 4 seasons, are goalkeeper and left back. 

• Upvote 1

The amount of shit left backs / makeshift left backs we've had to put up with in the last 4 or 5 years is a joke. Aurelio, Enrique, Cissokho, Sakho, Glen Johnson, Flanagan, Moreno, Markovic, Manquillo, Milner. 

You'd think someone would address this glaring deficiency, but it never seems to happen. It's like groundhog day every season. 

That is some list right there, the sad thing is the best one is Milner

Prior to January he would have been in discussions for team of the year.

Granted it might not have been a very distinguished list at left back but maybe that goes to show the dearth of quality LB's in the league at the moment.

That is some list right there, the sad thing is the best one is Milner

It's sad from one perspective, sure, but it also shows that as long as Milner's here, we have bigger problems.  If you're going to have to pay Milner 120k/week anyway, then why not get him on the pitch as long as he's a solid contributor (and he is).

My point is, sure, we could use a really good left back, but it's a question of priorities.  Unless we're selling Milner, or unless we somehow have an unlimited transfer budget this summer and can buy the CB and DM we need AND a top left back, then I'd rather the money get spent on getting Klopp the exact centre back and exact defensive midfielder he thinks can best improve our team for the way he wants us to play.

The amount of shit left backs / makeshift left backs we've had to put up with in the last 4 or 5 years is a joke. Aurelio, Enrique, Cissokho, Sakho, Glen Johnson, Flanagan, Moreno, Markovic, Manquillo, Milner. 

You'd think someone would address this glaring deficiency, but it never seems to happen. It's like groundhog day every season. 

Genuinely forgot about Cissokho being at the club......

I'm on the bus with you to sort our central defence first. Matip is good enough, he just needs a partner. Van Dijk, Tah, not sure who, but the best we can get to form the basis of a side that will not be breached so easily.

Next is a midfielder - I'm happy enough with Henderson, Lallana and Wijnaldum, but would like to see a big upgrade on Can. Who that is I don't know. Kessie seems to be the next big thing with a lot of top clubs in for him. Or we've looked at Dahoud for a long time, or Paredes, or...

I said the other day to put Karius back in the team. It's risky, as he's not been without mistakes this season, but we need to find out what he's made of. Mignolet should be sold. He's decent, and we should get some money, but he's not a top class goalkeeper and never will be. Karius is not a top class goalkeeper either, based on what we've seen, but I can't say unequivocally that he won't become one. Put him in for the rest of the season and see what he's made of. If he falls short then sign Handanovic in the summer to replace Mignolet, and Karius to be the back up, or go on loan so he doesn't stagnate.

Spine, spine, spine. The most important part of any team.

Beyond those three we need another winger. Pace, and the ability to beat a man and open it all up. He should also be able to weigh in with a decent amount of goals. Inaki Williams, or maybe Pulisic, or Brandt?

If the defence and midfield are functioning as they should, then I agree our attack is good enough to challenge for the title. Coutinho, Firmino and Mane are very good indeed. Origi needs to kick on but I'm not overly worried about him, not just yet anyway.

Ideally we get a replacement for Sturridge. He's just not fit enough to count on. Bags of talent, knows where the net is, but we can't get him on the pitch. Depending on his sale (hopefully someone like West Ham give us a decent amount) we should look to upgrade, especially with Ings likely to not make the grade here either after his very bad luck with injuries.

If Inaki Williams is signed, he could be the winger/striker type like Mane. Or if we have enough budget, perhaps we could go for a top striker - Lacazette or Aubemayang. Probably dreaming at this point, but you never know.

So, sort the spine out, first and foremost. Add another winger, and then depending on who the winger is and what happens to Sturridge, add a striker. And maybe a goalkeeper.

It's a lot of business to be done. Probably five good signings, and if we make three of them I'll be relatively happy.