You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2017 transfer window

Captain

I don't want Van Dijk for £25m, and I don't think Southampton would risk the ire of their fans by selling yet another player to us, and if they did, they would almost double that to £50m due to John Stones' transfer fee to City, because Van Dijk is better than Stones.

Not sure that's how release clauses work.

• Upvote 7

I don't want Van Dijk for £25m, and I don't think Southampton would risk the ire of their fans by selling yet another player to us, and if they did, they would almost double that to £50m due to John Stones' transfer fee to City, because Van Dijk is better than Stones.

So, for £50m, I'd rather we bought 3 great defenders and not just 1. To be honest I'm a bit sick of this merrygoround where Southampton beat us to great players early on because we have this insane misguided notion that clubs from lower-level teams can't possibly be good. No doubt we'll do the same thing with Dembele at Celtic, and Brandt at Leverkusen, and El Ghazi at Ajax etc. We'll just wait for someone else to make the initial move, like Southampton.

• Upvote 1

Firmino without Coutinho is a discussion. Mane does not make anyone around him better -- he opens up a little space because the other team has to take a step back. But we know Firmino is just as quick as Mane right? Cuz that is a fact. Of the three Mane is the least valuable.

And dont engage Funneee on anything to do with forwards or their contribution.

You joking mate? Firmino isn't quick, Coutinho, Wijnaldum and Henderson are all probably faster than him.

You joking mate? Firmino isn't quick, Coutinho, Wijnaldum and Henderson are all probably faster than him.

Someone will be able to link/post the stats that quantitatively show Firmino was the quickest player on the pitch ( he also ran a shedload more than the other slackers) as measured by scientific measuring apparatus - from fucking space - then posted on the internet (and this makeshift website) within the last week or so. This is - as Thomas Dolby said:

SCIENCE!!!!

Additionally - Origi has proven to be the fastest in the squad.

Firmino is going nowhere pal.

I'm yet to be convinced by Firmino as a striker. His miss against Southampton cost the three points, although he was still a lot better than on the weekend against Bournemouth where he was awful. I value his industry etc, just like I did with Dirk... but in terms of pure talent he's not quite the same level as Sturridge. Have a look again at some his goals from 13/14, some of them were out of this world. We must persist with him IMO, as if we could get him back to that level we'd have the second best striker in the league. He showed glimpses of it last season.

I'm yet to be convinced by Firmino as a striker. His miss against Southampton cost the three points, although he was still a lot better than on the weekend against Bournemouth where he was awful. I value his industry etc, just like I did with Dirk... but in terms of pure talent he's not quite the same level as Sturridge. Have a look again at some his goals from 13/14, some of them were out of this world. We must persist with him IMO, as if we could get him back to that level we'd have the second best striker in the league. He showed glimpses of it last season.

We're the league's top scorers without him scoring a goal. There is literally not a single reason to persist with him past this summer. 

Our attack is boss. Said it all summer & we are the top scorers this season in the league.

Scored three on the weekend without Coutinho, Sturridge & Lallana didn't play much.

Not quite sure what Firmino has to do to convince people.

• Upvote 1

We're the league's top scorers without him scoring a goal. There is literally not a single reason to persist with him past this summer.

He's our most talented striker and he's our best goalscorer. Hit 50 goals quicker than Dalglish, Suarez, Owen, Fowler, Torres, etc.

He's our most talented striker and he's our best goalscorer. Hit 50 goals quicker than Dalglish, Suarez, Owen, Fowler, Torres, etc.

But he can't keep fit, doesn't suit the brand of football & has lost some pace from three years ago. As talented as he is, he's not our best striker anymore - certainly not in Klopps eyes. Firmino is!

What has Sturridge being our most talented striker done for us this season? Or last? Or the one before that? The fact is, he's not reliable and we're not a worse team without him. We've finished 6th and 8th in the league when we've had to rely on him to be the main man.