You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2017 transfer window

Captain

I don't want Van Dijk for £25m, and I don't think Southampton would risk the ire of their fans by selling yet another player to us, and if they did, they would almost double that to £50m due to John Stones' transfer fee to City, because Van Dijk is better than Stones.

So, for £50m, I'd rather we bought 3 great defenders and not just 1. To be honest I'm a bit sick of this merrygoround where Southampton beat us to great players early on because we have this insane misguided notion that clubs from lower-level teams can't possibly be good. No doubt we'll do the same thing with Dembele at Celtic, and Brandt at Leverkusen, and El Ghazi at Ajax etc. We'll just wait for someone else to make the initial move, like Southampton.

Has it occurred to you that they get to that level by playing a lot of matches, which they wouldnt as much at a arguably bigger club. So less minutes is les development and practice. Which means less quality at a certain age. But I agree we could still buy better/smarter, loans can be useful and buy back clauses like Real/Barca..

If FSG really do want an American player maybe we'all spend more than usual to get Pulisic.

I could see that. But obviously it will have to be driven by Jurgen, so it's whether or not he wants the player. And if he does, and a few million extra is what gets it done, I could see FSG sanctioning it - not just because he is American, but also young, talented, good attitude, hard working and versatile in an area of the pitch where we are looking short. And as for money, the whole thing has gone crazy anyway, so it's hard to say what the player should cost. £30M is my guess.

When I watched a bit of a recent American game over here on the tv, they highlighted Pulisic. It's only a snippet, but it showed me the additional interest in him. He is young but already the best player they've got, and he could have a very good future.

I don't know why we don't just say to Southampton, we'll do you a deal, we won't buy van dijk off you if you tell us who you'd replace him with if we did, then have an agreement in place that if any of there players get really good let us know who you'd replace them with. Cut out the middleman if you like

• Upvote 2

I don't know why we don't just say to Southampton, we'll do you a deal, we won't buy van dijk off you if you tell us who you'd replace him with if we did, then have an agreement in place that if any of there players get really good let us know who you'd replace them with. Cut out the middleman if you like

Is what I'm thinking too.

Put in some bids, rattle their cage, and watch who they get linked to, and then go in and buy them.

Actually, didn't their scout move clubs?

Why would they not want to keep improving their team on our expense as they've done the last few years?

According to Kicker, Julian Draxler is being banned from the squad that will face Bayern and might be sold in January as the club are angry at the way he's behaved recently.

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/startseite/666497/artikel_draxler-gegen-bayern-nicht-im-kader.html

Another source Wolfsburger Allgemeine Zeitung, (no clue who they are) is saying he'll be available for 36m Euros.

http://wolfsburg.sportbuzzer.de/1-bundesliga/artikel/draxler-hat-jetzt-ein-preisschild/40920/14

Probably another option to look at, although personnally I think he's overrated and overpriced. One of those kids that has been highly-rated for ages but hasn't actually done or accomplished anything.