You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election Thread 2016

Red Phoenix

I have preferred Trump recently, which is obvious. I can't prefer one or the other though the more I think of it. And no I don't have to have a preference now.

If you're wondering why I preferred Trump, maybe think about the men, women and children of Libya that have had their lives destroyed, and the men women and children in Syria who'll have their lives destroyed if she starts bombing against the Syrian government there. Or the foreign and corporate donors that have given cash to the Clinton Foundation and/or her campaign, and who'll probably be expecting things in return if she becomes president. Or the evidence of her campaign having rigged the primary against Sanders.

Mainly though, the men, women and children in Libya who've had their lives destroyed, and the men women and children in Syria who'll have their lives destroyed if she starts bombing against the Syrian government there. Clinton has a proven history of playing a major part in destroying a country and probably being a psychopath of the worst kind. Trump, for all of his faults and all of his threats, doesn't have that.

So I think there's an almost natural reaction to that from a lot of people, that makes them swing towards Trump. I have to try and think beyond that though and realise that he could be capable of the same types of things if he becomes president.

Anyway, Libya is kind of a big deal. With her past and evidence of corruption, if she loses it'll be her own fault. It doesn't have to mean that I support Trump though or that I'll be happy to see him president if he makes it that far. If you're going to get hysterical about this, I really think you should have a read of what's happened to Libya. It should never be ignored or forgotten what she's done there.

Why are you assuming only Clinton will continue to bomb Syria? Trump most likely owns those companies(or parts of) already doing it.

Trump is the establishment,not its antithesis. Clinton is not a great deal better but her party contains some people who are more likely to rein her in at times. That wont be the case with Trump.

• Upvote 1

If Clinton does win, she'll spend the next 4 years fighting with Congress over impeachment, Supreme Court nominations, etc.

Not good news for the USA, but perhaps good news for the rest of the world.

I don't know; through all the Lewinsky stuff, Bill still found time to unleash the worst instincts of Wall Street and to kill plenty of people in the Balkans, Middle East, East Africa, etc.

Why are you assuming only Clinton will continue to bomb Syria? Trump most likely owns those companies(or parts of) already doing it.

Trump is the establishment,not its antithesis. Clinton is not a great deal better but her party contains some people who are more likely to rein her in at times. That wont be the case with Trump.

I don't want to get into all of this as I've just woken up, and I can't be doing with rambling after how I finished earlier. To try and say shortly though I think Trump is a big problem for a part of the establishment, maybe a big part. Yes of course he's part of it too, but I think he represents a split between what are known as "globalists", and those that share his more nationalist tendencies.

Of course, this is fucking crazy in its own way and probably bad for many reasons, just saying. Clinton would maybe attack Assad too and making Syria a failed state. Trump could work with Russia and actually end up defeating ISIS, at least for a big part. Fuck knows how much damage he'll cause though if this idea obsesses him. Remember they're in Libya and Iraq too. If he goes after them it's hard to imagine the US military not also killing a lot of civilians.

And then what if he achieves this goal and starts having a taste for war? I dare not even think about it.

RP, you have a strange understanding of the word 'less'.

Well, last night was the first time that I genuinely believed Trump could be president and I got kind of angry. Especially when I prefer the Green candidate who's at the opposite end of the spectrum to where he is. It's fucking horrible to think about really.

I like how he "likes" Huma Abedin, the embodiment of Dem corruption.

I was just messing around. I have a soft spot for her because I think she's attractive, I get that she's probably corrupt as shit though and maybe a complete bitch too.

But given all of the insanity of this election and people just imagining that things will be ok with people like Clinton or Trump in power, I'll not beat myself up for being a bit daft when it comes to Huma. I do feel sorry for her that she has to put up with the Clintonoid though, for whatever reasons she's working with her (maybe the simple reasons of money and power I suppose, which would make her in good company where she is.)

The idea that Trump could work with Russia is laughable, at the first perceived insult by Putin all bets are off.

My money would be on him meeting Putin, shaking hands and Putin commenting on how small they are, WW3 about 20 minutes later.

Pretty much how I see it. All Trump's friends are the fascists who have dictated US foreign policy forever and will continue to do so whoever is elected. I am very surprised that some people dont seem to realise that Trump is as bad,if not worse than almost every other Republican,just less well educated,or polished or whatever reasons cause his idiotic ramblings. I think Reagan's co star in Bedtime for Bonzo would be constantly face palming if he were around today.

Trump is a highly dangerous moron and Clinton is a highly dangerous clever woman who at least understands the politics game. That makes her slightly more favourable for President,but a country mile away from being anybody's actual choice.

• Upvote 1

Awkward.

The first person to be arrested for voter fraud is, ironically, a Trump supporter.

Terri Lynn Rote, 55, is a registered Republican, and was arrested after being charged with first-degree election misconduct – a class D felony.

Terri-Lynn-Rote-Iowa-voter-fraud-900x280

Rote is accused of voting twice in the general election, voting once in an election office in Des Moines and then again at a satellite voting location. While she is the first to be arrested, two others are reportedly suspected of participating in voter fraud within Polk County, Iowa.

“I think it shows that our voting system works in Iowa, that we’re able to catch it,” Fitzgerald said.

With most polls suggesting a Donald Trump presidency is becoming increasingly unlikely, Trump has recently taken to suggesting that the election will be “rigged.” A recent poll has suggested that half of Trump supporters do not trust the upcoming election to be counted fairly.

Election experts agree that it is borderline impossible to rig an American general election, and cases of voter fraud are rarely committed, except in outlier cases such as Ms. Rote.

http://usuncut.com/news/trump-supporter-just-arrested/

Infinitely preferable than re-starting the cold war which is what we appear to currently be intent on doing. However, as chev has alluded to, the honeymoon period would last for about an hour and a half.

I don't really see how a US in thrall to Russia is any safer than what we have now. What would happen with Ukraine and the eastern bloc, for a start? Let alone Syria and the likes. Besides, I can't see Putin starting a nuclear war with the most powerful military on earth, he may be a cunt but he's not stupid.

I may be well off, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but Trump in charge spells more war in Europe and Asia, to me. Do we want to see a Russia without anyone to answer to? Or a South Korea left to fend for itself? Just spitballing really, but I'm not convinced USA being pally with Russia does the world many favours; hence, I'm not convinced Hillary is necessarily the more dangerous option in terms of foreign policy. Not that there's any doubt the direction we're headed as a species, but we still have a chance to alter that. Trump in power just accelerates our demise, imo.

Infinitely preferable than re-starting the cold war which is what we appear to currently be intent on doing. However, as chev has alluded to, the honeymoon period would last for about an hour and a half.

Trump and Putin being best buddies will mean a massive joint US-Russia drill for oil in the Arctic, which when the methane is released will be as devastating to humanity as a nuclear war. So personally I'll take my chances with Cold War II.

I don't really see how a US in thrall to Russia is any safer than what we have now. What would happen with Ukraine and the eastern bloc, for a start? Let alone Syria and the likes. Besides, I can't see Putin starting a nuclear war with the most powerful military on earth, he may be a cunt but he's not stupid.

I may be well off, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but Trump in charge spells more war in Europe and Asia, to me. Do we want to see a Russia without anyone to answer to? Or a South Korea left to fend for itself? Just spitballing really, but I'm not convinced USA being pally with Russia does the world many favours; hence, I'm not convinced Hillary is necessarily the more dangerous option in terms of foreign policy. Not that there's any doubt the direction we're headed as a species, but we still have a chance to alter that. Trump in power just accelerates our demise, imo.

I don't want a US in thrall to Russia. I want a US not at war with Russia. What do you mean, let alone Syria? How could things possibly get worse in Syria? Syria is a proxy war between Russia and America. Putin isn't going to start a nuclear war with anyone regardless of who the president of America is.

You have absolutely no idea what Trump in charge means, as he has no idea what it means.

It's all immaterial anyway, the president of America isn't going to change geopolitics whether they want to or not. As I said, if it's Trump in charge they'll just lock him in a room with some toys guns and some lego. If it's Clinton America will probably just start bombing a couple more countries than the seven they already regularly bomb.

Trump and Putin being best buddies will mean a massive joint US-Russia drill for oil in the Arctic, which when the methane is released will be as devastating to humanity as a nuclear war. So personally I'll take my chances with Cold War II.

They aren't going to be allowed to be "best buddies". 

Boring or Annoying Things We Have to Know 4

29 Oct, 2016 in Uncategorized by craig | View Comments

I have always glazed over at any mention of Hillary Clinton’s emails. The USA is not my country, and it seemed like a rather boring argument about classifications and document security. I also had a natural resistance to anything that appeared to promote the interests of Donald Trump. I now realise that is how a complicit media was deliberately presenting it, and my lack of interest was the desired effect. They are still presenting the issues in a manner which I hope I will be able to prove to you is entirely tendentious. So this weekend I request you to grit your teeth, set aside your disinterest and read through this article. Please.

Those Hillary server emails are largely a separate thing to those which WikiLeaks has been releasing. What the WikiLeaks release of the Democratic National Committee and Hillary campaign chair Podesta emails has proved beyond any reasonable doubt, is the extent of Hillary’s corruption. Both in terms of the fixing of the primary election against Bernie Sanders by the people who were supposed to be organising it, and the vast sums of money the Clinton family were receiving personally through Clinton Foundation and consultancy activity linked to State Department access, decisions and activity.

Before Clinton handed over her private email server to the FBI investigation into her handling of classified material, she scrubbed over 30,000 emails and had drives physically treated to ensure permanent destruction. It is obviously very likely that many of those emails referred to the kind of nefarious activity we are now seeing from the DNC and Podesta leaks.

It is also of course a fact that those 30,000 emails all had recipients, as well as Hillary as a sender. We can be sure that a major effort will have been undertaken to make sure recipients deleted them too. But from time to time some are sure to turn up. That is what has just happened and prompted yesterday’s announcement of a renewed investigation. In the course of an unrelated investigation into alleged paedophile grooming, the FBI has come across some of Hillary’s deleted emails on the device of a close political aide.

The FBI has a plain duty, every time they come across emails that were sent from Hillary’s private server but deleted and not given to them, to look at this new material. The very fact it was deleted, makes it rather more probable that it is relevant, than the carefully selected harmless material that was given to them. This is going to go on for years, because undoubtedly from time to time copies of some of those deleted emails will turn up. That is going to be very interesting if, as I expect, Clinton is elected President. It will necessitate a Presidential pardon from Obama to clear it up. I am assured by a DC source that an outgoing President can pardon people for crimes they may have committed but haven’t been convicted of yet. I find that somewhat mind-boggling.

It is also very much worth noting that the fact that the received versions of deleted emails were found on a device of Huma Abedin, Clinton’s political aide, makes it very improbable that they were deleted because they were purely personal and family affairs. Clinton stated thaht the only emails she deleted were personal and family. Hmmm – so why to a political aide?

You will not get a clear analysis of these issues from the mainstream media. That is because they are of course part of the money/power nexus in which Clinton is intimately connected, and they expect Clinton to win. I think their fear of Trump is exaggerated. He and Clinton are two plutocrat candidates in a system laughingly labelled democracy. They move in the same social and financial circles.

My favourite fact of this election remains that Trump actually paid Clinton a large fee to attend his wedding. In slightly differing ways, that says a huge amount about how disgusting each of them are.

I reserve a special contempt for those journalists and politicians who support Clinton on the apparent grounds that a female corrupt plutocrat is better than a male corrupt plutocrat. Indeed, the entirely cynical exploitation of identity politics by the Clinton campaign, in terms both of its faux-feminism and its cynical manipulation of black and Hispanic voters, is one of the most chilling things about the leaked emails.

With two such appalling candidates, there is a major problem. Many people are voting Trump to stop Clinton, even though they don’t like Trump. Many others are voting Clinton to stop Trump, even though they don’t like Clinton. Both Republicans and Democrats fear that if they support a third party candidate, they will let the other in. This is a kind of lesser of two extremely evil evils approach.

Sam Husseini has come up with Vote Pact. It enables pairing – a Republican and Democrat who trust each other should agree both to vote for a third party candidate. Both Trump and Clinton have therefore lost one each, and you can vote third party with no fear of having contributed to letting the greater evil in. It is a neat concept. Of course it will not catch on and will have no overall effect. I note it as an aid for those struggling with their conscience.

I expect Hillary to win, but Trump to do a lot better than expected. There are many “shy Trump” voters out there.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/

They aren't going to be allowed to be "best buddies".

You seem convinced there's going to be complete continuity behind the scenes. Foreign policy can change dramatically when there's a new president, it did with Reagan and with Bush Jr. There are some very powerful interests in the US who'd be more than happy to bury the hatchet with Russia and collaborate on sucking every last ounce of fossil fuel out of the ground.

You seem convinced there's going to be complete continuity behind the scenes. Foreign policy can change dramatically when there's a new president, it did with Reagan and with Bush Jr. There are some very powerful interests in the US who'd be more than happy to bury the hatchet with Russia and collaborate on sucking every last ounce of fossil fuel out of the ground.

Memo

That's already happening.

We are onto the shale reserves.

I don't recall us not doing that since scarcity means bigger profit in this machinery it will ever be thus in the system which does what it's designed to do.