You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

45 minutes ago, A Red said:

Where you have lots of different utility companies it is difficult for a union to decide to get the employees from each company to strike in unison

That's not how unions work. They don't go company by company, they go union by union. Unison, who I think do a lot of the utilities, have well over a million. Unite has over 1.5m. There's well over 7m people in unions. almost 6m of those of those are in or affiliated with TUC. 

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

That's not how unions work. They don't go company by company, they go union by union. Unison, who I think do a lot of the utilities, have well over a million. 

I know but, pay bargaining for example is currently negotiated with each company which all offer different pay and benefits. When there is one company offering uniformed pay and benefits there is one point of negotiation. Far easier to bring that business to a standstill

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

It's how a Tory twat would think. 

So you think NV is a tory twat? He believes there would only be relatively minimal benefits. Perhaps its the word relatively thats the difference.

This is all you've got, screeching "Tory!"

11 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I responded seriously to you the other day, it made bugger all difference as you just ignored any reasonable points made and continued being a Tory twat. 

Your reasonable point consisted of suggesting that nationalisations should be on a gradual piecemeal basis. That is contrary to what Labour want to do but more importantly didnt answer the points I made. So I ignored it. 

15 minutes ago, SasaS said:

What is net profit to revenues ratio for private British utility companies? How much money are they actually taking out?

Net profit margin tells you more about how efficiently a company is run as opposed to how much money the shareholders are taking out. 

2 hours ago, moof said:

I have no idea how anyone can come to the opinion that the benefits to taking necessary public services out of the hands of corporations are “minimal”. 

Exactly. Any other arguement is utter tosh. I notice the luvvies have  come out in force once the subject of  public ownership is mentioned. 

.  The cost to nationalise the rail network are minimal as the inferstructure is mainly in public hands. It's simply a case of waiting till the franchise runs out and return them to the public where they belong.

The rest as they say is fucking bullshit.

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Exactly. Any other arguement is utter tosh. I notice the luvvies have  come out in force once the subject of  public ownership is mentioned. 

.  The cost to nationalise the rail network are minimal as the inferstructure is mainly in public hands. It's simply a case of waiting till the franchise runs out and return them to the public where they belong.

The rest as they say is fucking bullshit.

Although I think we could all club together and buy Centrica at the moment.  Shares are down to 70p from about £1.80 a yr ago and nearer £4 4 yrs ago. 

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I agree about relatively minimal benefits. Though, the ownership doesn’t dictate whether or not people can strike, nor does it mean there will be more people joining unions. We have state run police, health, and fire. Labour doesn’t control when they strike now and they wouldn’t if they nationalised other areas. The power would be gained by unions, if anybody. 

I don’t see much reason to buy into this as a reason for Labour wanting to nationalise things. 

I bet you don't you shrill.

6 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

There are, what, 5 nationalisations on a list of over 120 policies.

Very true tell your luvvie mate nurmocunt that it really is not that hard  to nationalise a railway. Its not a primary school wish list . We can multi task. Ie for rail you have a transport minister. That's his job.

Capitalism will always try to put false barriers in the way of change.

1 hour ago, A Red said:

So you think NV is a tory twat? He believes there would only be relatively minimal benefits. Perhaps its the word relatively thats the difference.

This is all you've got, screeching "Tory!"

A little clarity on this, as I can feel moof snarling at me from beyond the back of my screen. I mean relative to the time, effort, and money it would cost. I would, on balance, like a state owned, well run, profit-free set of utilities and transport paid for by taxpayers for the benefit of the people who require it. The issue I have is we are quite far down the road from that, so unless there's a dramatic need to change it, I'd deal with the more serious issues first. There's plenty of other priorities, in my opinion. That doesn't mean I don't think it can be a good thing, though. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Does Ireland have many trains? The Mrs went from Omagh to Dublin last week and it sounded like the Cannonball Run. 

We have a barely adequate train service with hold ups and overcrowding a huge issue. Also a lot of towns are not interconnected.  It's cheap compared to England though. 

12 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I’m not sure looking back at decades old rail use is going to be that enlightening to how future privatisation could work, anymore than it would be enlightening to talk about how it used to be before the NHS when talking about private involvement in current medical services. 

The ideal that if things were poor years ago that they’d be poor now is a flawed one. Even if I personally wouldn’t do it, at least as part of the next parliament. It’s not like it’s currently horrendous and people are dying all over the place and fares are ridiculous or there’s no trains or something. It’s not perfect but it’s serviceable for now. 

Much more important is getting Brexit either avoided or the impact of it reduced. We also need to have a proper look at how democracy is working in the UK. Hint: it isn’t. We need to protect the NHS and make sure it is well funded. We need to make sure the social safety net is there and working for those who need it. For me, although us paying a lot to subsidise the private enterprise in the rail services, and to my mind that blows, it’s just not a pressing issue. 

What is this fucking shit?