You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

I went to a Grammar school - St Eddies in West Derby

Had a great if a little limited education and went on to teach for a while in both Comps and a Grammar school

Think they are a product of their time ie the 19th and 20th century and not ideal for today's world

Give me a good Comp any day...a much wider range of people of both sexes and capable of dealing with children of all abilities 

Nice to be able to agree with a fellow Old Edwardian!

Like you I went into teaching but stuck it out for 37 years in a school that was a grammar school and became a comprehensive. I think it was a much more effective comprehensive than a grammar and my own experiences as a pupil and as a teacher convince me that academic selection is not the way forward. I could see a potential case for doing at age 14 but certainly not at 11.

My own experience of the brightest kids I taught was that they tended to be humble and modest but very well organised. The exams they sit these days are very taxing. I certainly would not want to sit a modern A2 paper; very difficult and far from rote learner. Indeed the worst exam in my experience for rote learning was the old O level. A good memory could get you a very good grade in that.

• Upvote 3

Nice to be able to agree with a fellow Old Edwardian!

Like you I went into teaching but stuck it out for 37 years in a school that was a grammar school and became a comprehensive. I think it was a much more effective comprehensive than a grammar and my own experiences as a pupil and as a teacher convince me that academic selection is not the way forward. I could see a potential case for doing at age 14 but certainly not at 11.

My own experience of the brightest kids I taught was that they tended to be humble and modest but very well organised. The exams they sit these days are very taxing. I certainly would not want to sit a modern A2 paper; very difficult and far from rote learner. Indeed the worst exam in my experience for rote learning was the old O level. A good memory could get you a very good grade in that.

Completely agree, Frank

And very nice to bump into a fellow Old Edwardian!

Decent rant from Another Angry Voice.

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/how-would-press-react-if-jeremy-corbyn.html

Corbyn%2BTheresa%2BMay%2Bmedia.png

The extreme levels of mainstream media bias against Jeremy Corbyn has been academically proven. Even if you're the kind of person who has "had enough of experts", consider these things.

Given that the mainstream media continually blamed Jeremy Corbyn for Brexit (123 media appearances), how is it possible to explain that Theresa May actually gets repeatedly praised for her lazy self-serving non-campaign during the EU referendum (just 29 media appearances despite holding one of the most important offices of state)?
If Jeremy Corbyn had openly bragged about his willingness to incinerate 100,000 innocent men, women and children in a nuclear fireball like Theresa May did in July 2016, would the mainstream press have painted him as a "strong leader", or would they have used it as evidence that he's some kind of genocidal left-wing tyrant?
If Jeremy Corbyn had actually quoted a bigoted and misogynistic Twitter troll in parliament like Theresa May did in September 2016, would the mainstream press have given him a total free-pass on it like they gave Theresa May?
If, like Theresa May, Jeremy Corbyn had a proven track record of attacking the rights and liberties of the British peopleundermining the justice systemintroducing discriminatory laws and fantasising about scrapping our human rights and replacing them with a set of "allowances" drawn up by him and his mates, would the media continually portray him as a "safe pair of hands" or would they use such an appalling track record as evidence that he's an authoritarian tyrant?
If Jeremy Corbyn decided to sign off on a ludicrous rip-off deal to bribe communist China into building our energy infrastructure for us like Theresa May did, would the mainstream media have just let it pass, or would they have shrieked themselves into hysteria about his extreme-left tendencies?

The obvious answer to all of these questions is that the media would not have given Corbyn the same kind of ridiculously easy ride that they keep giving Theresa May. 

The mainstream press prefer Theresa may because she's keen on tax cuts corporations and the super-rich, which suits the billionaire sociopaths who own most of the newspapers that set the political agenda. They hate Corbyn because he's a genuine anti-establishment outsider who would shake up the political system by giving more power to ordinary people (meaning less for self-entitled politicians, billionaire press barons and lazy mainstream media hacks).

• Upvote 1

I think he should pack in now. UKRAP will win Tristram Cunts seat with the Lib Dumbs second. People in this cuntry (people in general to be fair) are fucking dumb sheep, and Corbyn could cure all cancers by clicking his fingers and people still wouldn't vote for him because the Scum and the Heil would still paint him as an evil communist who loves Daesh and wants to turn Buck House in to a homeless shelter for one legged, blind, lesbian, transsexual, Muslims!!

I'm just reading an article about the forthcoming by election in Stoke and was reading what a local councilor was saying. For me, this smacks of the complacency that has stalked labour for a long time now and could probably have been said in Scotland 10 years ago. If labour carry this attitude, it won't be long before they lose the north.

According to Watson, loyalty to Labour will trump concerns over leaving the EU in what has always been a rock-solid area for the party. “Though Brexit’s been the issue that everyone’s talking about,” he said, “people recognise that there’s more to life than Brexit.

“This is a working-class area, a Labour area. People aren’t going to forget that easily when it comes to a significant vote like this byelection. People identify with the Labour party and will remember that there’s lots of issues beyond Europe where a local MP has done great work for them.”

I agree with most of that

You do seem to get the vibe that some of labour lot think that they'll get the vote just because people dont want to vote tory

Yeah and there's some idea because ukip are far right, people won't go further right than tories, not realising the ukip message is like trumps, it's all fucking shit, this lot don't care, only I have the answer, it's those nasty foreigners taking all our jobs.

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm just reading an article about the forthcoming by election in Stoke and was reading what a local councilor was saying. For me, this smacks of the complacency that has stalked labour for a long time now and could probably have been said in Scotland 10 years ago. If labour carry this attitude, it won't be long before they lose the north.

According to Watson, loyalty to Labour will trump concerns over leaving the EU in what has always been a rock-solid area for the party. “Though Brexit’s been the issue that everyone’s talking about,” he said, “people recognise that there’s more to life than Brexit.

“This is a working-class area, a Labour area. People aren’t going to forget that easily when it comes to a significant vote like this byelection. People identify with the Labour party and will remember that there’s lots of issues beyond Europe where a local MP has done great work for them.”

They were interviewing locals on the news and they didn't have a good word to say about Hunt. They were the six fingered variety like. Shocked to see the older ones hoping UKIP win....not. 

Hunt's seat is one of those that will be removed in the boundary changes. He knew he wasn't getting parachuted into another seat like he did here, so he got out.

There is an interesting information request that's gone in to the V&A museum, asking if they advertised the job, how many applied, etc.

Majority of public support Jeremy Corbyn's plans to cap bosses' salaries, poll suggests.

Jeremy Corbyn’s recent proposal to introduce a cap on executive wages at firms with government contracts is backed by the majority of the public, a new poll suggests.

Research for The Independent reveals that the government encouraging companies to introduce a wage cap for bosses earning more than 20 times that of their lowest paid worker is supported by 57 per cent of the public. Just 30 per cent of those surveyed disagreed, however, suggesting the government should not try to set a limit while 13 per cent said "don't know".

The results also found similar responses among all age groups and across all areas of the country, suggesting there is a high degree of enthusiasm for the policy, which was floated by the Labour leader in Peterborough. Even among Conservative voters, the proposal is supported by 47 per cent, with just over 40 per cent in opposition. The figure is much higher with those who voted Labour at the 2015 election, at 68 per cent.

Responding to the results, Mr Corbyn told The Independent: “Levels of inequality are grotesque and hurt the economy. While establishment commentators slammed our policy for tackling pay inequality, the public support it because they can see the system is rigged. We offer a complete break with a system rigged by an elite taking Britain for a ride”.

After a day of interviews and a major speech – dubbed a “day of chaos” by his critics – the Labour leader promised his party would look at introducing the pay ratio cap, set at 20:1, which would impose a ceiling of about £350,000 in any company paying the “living wage”.

However, the pledge did not go as far as he suggested in an interview earlier in the day. He had told Radio 4’s Today programme that he “would like there to be some kind of high earnings cap” but refused to be drawn on what level the cap should be set.

“I think the salaries paid to some footballers are simply ridiculous, some salaries to very high earning top executives are utterly ridiculous. Why would someone need to earn more than £50m a year?” he added. Danny Blanchflower, a former member of the leader’s economic advisory committee, said the idea was “idiotic”.

Later, a spokesman for Mr Corbyn attempted to clarify the policy, adding: “He mis-spoke in that interview. What Jeremy was talking about was pay ratios – that’s what we have been looking at.”

Those surveyed by ComRes for The Independent were asked whether their view was closer to either Mr Corbyn’s proposal or the statement: “It is up to employers how much they are prepared to pay their staff and the Government should not try to set a limit on it”. Just 30 per cent agreed with the latter, while 13 per cent responded “don’t know” and 57 per cent thought that the “Government should encourage companies, through measures like taxes and government contracts, to cap bosses’ salaries at a maximum of 20 times the company average”.

During his speech – described by many as his “relaunch” – the Labour leader added: “In the 1920s, JP Morgan, the Wall Street banker, limited salaries to 20 times that of junior employees. Another advocate of pay ratios was David Cameron. His government proposed a 20:1 pay ratio to limit sky-high pay in the public sector and now all salaries higher than £150,000 must be signed off by the Cabinet Office.

He said: “Labour will go further and extend that to any company that is awarded a government contract. A 20:1 ratio means someone earning the living wage, just over £16,000 a year, would permit an executive to be earning nearly £350,000. It cannot be right that if companies are getting public money that can be creamed off by a few at the top.”

ComRes interviewed 2,038 Great British adults online between the 11 and 13 January. Full details on the ComRes website

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/majority-of-public-support-jeremy-corbyn-s-plans-to-cap-bosses-salaries-poll-finds-a7527381.html

Majority of public support Jeremy Corbyn's plans to cap bosses' salaries, poll suggests.

Jeremy Corbyn’s recent proposal to introduce a cap on executive wages at firms with government contracts is backed by the majority of the public, a new poll suggests.

Research for The Independent reveals that the government encouraging companies to introduce a wage cap for bosses earning more than 20 times that of their lowest paid worker is supported by 57 per cent of the public. Just 30 per cent of those surveyed disagreed, however, suggesting the government should not try to set a limit while 13 per cent said "don't know".

The results also found similar responses among all age groups and across all areas of the country, suggesting there is a high degree of enthusiasm for the policy, which was floated by the Labour leader in Peterborough. Even among Conservative voters, the proposal is supported by 47 per cent, with just over 40 per cent in opposition. The figure is much higher with those who voted Labour at the 2015 election, at 68 per cent.

Responding to the results, Mr Corbyn told The Independent: “Levels of inequality are grotesque and hurt the economy. While establishment commentators slammed our policy for tackling pay inequality, the public support it because they can see the system is rigged. We offer a complete break with a system rigged by an elite taking Britain for a ride”.

After a day of interviews and a major speech – dubbed a “day of chaos” by his critics – the Labour leader promised his party would look at introducing the pay ratio cap, set at 20:1, which would impose a ceiling of about £350,000 in any company paying the “living wage”.

However, the pledge did not go as far as he suggested in an interview earlier in the day. He had told Radio 4’s Today programme that he “would like there to be some kind of high earnings cap” but refused to be drawn on what level the cap should be set.

“I think the salaries paid to some footballers are simply ridiculous, some salaries to very high earning top executives are utterly ridiculous. Why would someone need to earn more than £50m a year?” he added. Danny Blanchflower, a former member of the leader’s economic advisory committee, said the idea was “idiotic”.

Later, a spokesman for Mr Corbyn attempted to clarify the policy, adding: “He mis-spoke in that interview. What Jeremy was talking about was pay ratios – that’s what we have been looking at.”

Those surveyed by ComRes for The Independent were asked whether their view was closer to either Mr Corbyn’s proposal or the statement: “It is up to employers how much they are prepared to pay their staff and the Government should not try to set a limit on it”. Just 30 per cent agreed with the latter, while 13 per cent responded “don’t know” and 57 per cent thought that the “Government should encourage companies, through measures like taxes and government contracts, to cap bosses’ salaries at a maximum of 20 times the company average”.

During his speech – described by many as his “relaunch” – the Labour leader added: “In the 1920s, JP Morgan, the Wall Street banker, limited salaries to 20 times that of junior employees. Another advocate of pay ratios was David Cameron. His government proposed a 20:1 pay ratio to limit sky-high pay in the public sector and now all salaries higher than £150,000 must be signed off by the Cabinet Office.

He said: “Labour will go further and extend that to any company that is awarded a government contract. A 20:1 ratio means someone earning the living wage, just over £16,000 a year, would permit an executive to be earning nearly £350,000. It cannot be right that if companies are getting public money that can be creamed off by a few at the top.”

ComRes interviewed 2,038 Great British adults online between the 11 and 13 January. Full details on the ComRes website

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/majority-of-public-support-jeremy-corbyn-s-plans-to-cap-bosses-salaries-poll-finds-a7527381.html

People also are willing to pay an extra 2p in income tax to pay for the NHS but continue to vote for the party looking to cut tax. This poll and it's findings are meaningless.