You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

At primary school?

Obviously, there were some I didn't take to. But that's not the same as writing them off as irredeemably inferior beings. And whatever opinions I'd formed before the age of 10, I don't necessarily hold on to them as an adult. I grew up.

i think what stronts is saying is that there are always going to be kids who either aren't capable or don't care about education. Do they benefit from having really bright kids in the class? I'd say it's unlikely - but possible. Donthe really bright kids benefit from having the less capable kids? I'd say not if they are slowing the class down. Does the teacher benefit from having a really broad range? Is it easier to teach kids within a smaller range (whether clever or not) intuitively I'd say yes but happy to be put right.

kids 10-11, you know, when they go on to secondary school.

Are you honestly saying that when you left primary school there were no kids who were obviously thick? Or just right little cunts? We had loads. Maybe Catholic school for you.

There were both, and a couple I could quite happily never have seen again.

However, that doesn't mean they should have been consigned to an 'inferior' education to the one I received.

Kids grow up and their attitudes alter.

Not all of them admittedly, but by reducing the educational opportunities available to them at such an early age, you significantly reduce the chance of that happening.

Also, there is absolute ZERO chance that your perception as a kid may have been flawed and for example you yourself may have been a bit of a cunt, or a bit thick. ZERO.

Or, perhaps I still know these people, well the ones that are still alive. Perhaps my parents, and parents of other kids at the school spoke to the teachers and they gave their opinions which as I've got older and watched them die or get into drugs or go to prison have been passed on to me.

Mum: Jason Austin came into work today to get housed. He's just come out of prison again.

Me: he broke into a house when he was 12 and spread shit all over the walls. Him and 2 others. When he was 14 he tried to burn down the school opposite.

Mum: mrs bevan was scared of him at primary school

That happened.

There were both, and a couple I could quite happily never have seen again.

However, that doesn't mean they should have been consigned to an 'inferior' education to the one I received.

Kids grow up and their attitudes alter.

Not all of them admittedly, but by reducing the educational opportunities available to them at such an early age, you significantly reduce the chance of that happening.

Hang on, who mentioned inferior education? I didn't. Appropriate education paced at the right level.

Or, perhaps I still know these people, well the ones that are still alive. Perhaps my parents, and parents of other kids at the school spoke to the teachers and they gave their opinions which as I've got older and watched them die or get into drugs or go to prison have been passed on to me.

Mum: Jason Austin came into work today to get housed. He's just come out of prison again.

Me: he broke into a house when he was 12 and spread shit all over the walls. Him and 2 others. When he was 14 he tried to burn down the school opposite.

Mum: mrs bevan was scared of him at primary school

That happened.

Yes and obviously that was all their own fault. Because if kids are thickos or cunts, which let's face it most of them are, then it is clearly their own decision to be that way. They are responsible for that. Nobody else.

Yes and obviously that was all their own fault. Because if kids are thickos or cunts, which let's face it most of them are, then it is clearly their own decision to be that way. They are responsible for that. Nobody else.

The rest of his family were ok.

In broader terms would he have benefited from closer supervision and did he perhaps act up because he couldn't keep up? I'd say almost certainly. Would we have benefitted from him not being in the class? Definitely.

Hang on, who mentioned inferior education? I didn't. Appropriate education paced at the right level.

Well if all the bright kids are going to one school and all the 'thickos' and 'little cunts' are going to a different school, I'd suggest the education received by the latter is going to be poorer than the former.

I mean all the best teachers are bound to be falling over themselves to teach the 'thickos' a 'little cunts', aren't they?

The rest of his family were ok.

In broader terms would he have benefited from closer supervision and did he perhaps act up because he couldn't keep up? I'd say almost certainly. Would we have benefitted from him not being in the class? Definitely.

Black and white world is black and white

Well if all the bright kids are going to one school and all the 'thickos' and 'little cunts' are going to a different school, I'd suggest the education received by the latter is going to be poorer than the former.

I mean all the best teachers are bound to be falling over themselves to teach the 'thickos' a 'little cunts', aren't they?

What do you mean by poorer? If you've got a kid who's not going to be able to do complex algebra then why waste time effort money and dishearten the kid? Why not spend more time improving basic reading and writing and ensure that every leaving school has those abilities?

What do you mean by poorer? If you've got a kid who's not going to be able to do complex algebra then why waste time effort money and dishearten the kid? Why not spend more time improving basic reading and writing and ensure that every leaving school has those abilities?

But it's the point at which you are making that distinction that I disagree with. By hiving off the supposed lower achievers and troublemakers at 10/11 when they go into secondary education and sending them to a completely different school, you are limiting their opportunities.

Different ability levels can, in my view, be managed within a streaming or setting system in a single school.

I am a case in point. I was in top set for maths for four of my five years in secondary school, but was struggling. Teachers recommended I dropped down to the intermediate group, where the best grade I could achieve would be a C.

I got my C, which was the only GCSE I actually studied for, and was delighted. If I'd stayed in the top set, I'd have failed.

Equally, there were kids from the bottom set who moved up as their understanding and willingness to learn changed.

There already are schools for unruly children or those that can't be in mainstream schools for a variety of reasons. Derbyshire have several PRUs dotted around the county. So I'm assuming there's already evidence of how that affects attainment of children once they are split into bright and not so bright.

There already are schools for unruly children or those that can't be in mainstream schools for a variety of reasons. Derbyshire have several PRUs dotted around the county. So I'm assuming there's already evidence of how that affects attainment of children once they are split into bright and not so bright.

My sister in law is the head of one in Manchester.

But it's the point at which you are making that distinction that I disagree with. By hiving off the supposed lower achievers and troublemakers at 10/11 when they go into secondary education and sending them to a completely different school, you are limiting their opportunities.

Different ability levels can, in my view, be managed within a streaming or setting system in a single school.

I am a case in point. I was in top set for maths for four of my five years in secondary school, but was struggling. Teachers recommended I dropped down to the intermediate group, where the best grade I could achieve would be a C.

I got my C, which was the only GCSE I actually studied for, and was delighted. If I'd stayed in the top set, I'd have failed.

Equally, there were kids from the bottom set who moved up as their understanding and willingness to learn changed.

So it's unlikely you'd have gone into the 'high achiever' school when lined up against all the high achievers from all the schools in your area.

I can only talk about my experiences at school. Maybe mine was an exception but I don't think so speaking to mates.

Let the experts tell us what's right based on real evidence.

Wait, so are we supposed to listen to your mates or experts now? I'm confused.

So it's unlikely you'd have gone into the 'high achiever' school when lined up against all the high achievers from all the schools in your area.

Why? Because I was in the top set for maths from 11-15, and then dropped down a set in my final year at high school?

I had the opportunity to go to the local grammar school when I left primary, but chose not to as none of my friends were going there.

I left secondary school with 2 A's, 4 B's, a C, and an F (I'm proud of that F - the teacher was a cunt), got two A's and a B at A-level, and a 2:1 degree.

How high are your standards for high achievers?