You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Don’t think we’ll ever find a goalkeeper who is perfect 100% of the time. Pointing at a couple of micro-errors, in the context of the stature of these games and his recent form, is a bit harsh.

The punch was unlucky and it’s debatable whether or not he was fouled.

His distribution is generally very good so not remotely worried about that.

Whether van Dijk did not want that ball or not he had plenty of time to distribute it instead of playing like a Southampton player and asking for a foul in the first minute of an important game. Some people want van Dijk to be given the captaincy but he needs to act and play like one from the first whistle to the last.

Karius only mistake in that game was coming for a difficult punch between two of his own players and an oppo going for the same ball. But given the context of the time in that game I do not see him having any other option. His distribution last night was good. He held onto the ball as long as he could to try and stem Citys first half onslaught. In the second half he moved it quickly when needed.

Don’t think we’ll ever find a goalkeeper who is perfect 100% of the time. Pointing at a couple of micro-errors, in the context of the stature of these games and his recent form, is a bit harsh.

The punch was unlucky and it’s debatable whether or not he was fouled.

His distribution is generally very good so not remotely worried about that.

If the media had their way and the goal stood, we may be having a different conversation about him today. I wouldnt call either of them "micro" errors. 

I accept he's on the up curve, and the most pleasing thing in some ways recently, is how much more solid we look, but he didn't have a particularly great night last night.

You can clearly see VVD indicate at least twice he didn't want the ball at that point.

We are talking about judgment, and so hopefully that will improve with experience.

Gave the ball to VVD last night when he was clearly indicating he didn't want it.

Ball should have gone out right instead.

His fluffed punch, according to any pundit with a pulse, should have cost us a second.

He has no doubt improved but is it enough?

He arguably cost us two goals last night , or should have done. There was another punch that was feeble and could have cost us. No denying he has made great strides , the save in the Derby, was outstanding but I would still like us to sign another top class keeper

• Upvote 1

Karius has been much better for a a few months now. He has been more commanding in his presence, coming for crosses, punching, playing on the front foot and helping the defence play higher, good with his distribution, and then there have been a number of saves, some of them really quite excellent. 

I think he has the jersey as our number 1 long term. 

Looking at the Man City games, he conceded one goal over two matches, which most goalkeepers can't lay claim to against that team. 

Last night I thought the punch that came back off Milner was iffy. He had to come through a lot of people and in the end punched it downward and it led to a dangerous situation. 

We were under the cosh for the whole first half. They kept coming right through us in wave after wave. They are a very good side, and they tested everyone on the team to the max. 

We came through the tie as worthy 5-1 winners and Karius played his part in that. 

It's fairer to assess his current standing in the context of the form he has been showing for a good while now. Arguably we will replace him with a new number 1, but I would be surprised if we did that. I think he has the shirt for the foreseeable future, and if he keeps going as he has been in recent months, and building on that, he could be our keeper for years to come. 

Whether van Dijk did not want that ball or not he had plenty of time to distribute it instead of playing like a Southampton player and asking for a foul in the first minute of an important game. Some people want van Dijk to be given the captaincy but he needs to act and play like one from the first whistle to the last.

Karius only mistake in that game was coming for a difficult punch between two of his own players and an oppo going for the same ball. But given the context of the time in that game I do not see him having any other option. His distribution last night was good. He held onto the ball as long as he could to try and stem Citys first half onslaught. In the second half he moved it quickly when needed.

VVD has had a huge positive effect on the defence. I'd make him captain this afternoon.

VVD has had a huge positive effect on the defence. I'd make him captain this afternoon.

Yes I know you would. Maybe one day he will be. Just like you're defending him for not dealing with a ball he did not want. If you are captain, you do not go saying you do not want the ball in the first minute of a game. simple as.

Mate... come on

Look, its just a minor observation on an otherwise top night. No need to rush to his defence.

He's definitely improving.

The reason i mentioned it at all, is that other than that, esp in 2nd half we were tight as a tick and the ran out of ideas.

The only glimmers city had, were in fact both directly related to him.

Yes I know you would. Maybe one day he will be. Just like you're defending him for not dealing with a ball he did not want. If you are captain, you do not go saying you do not want the ball in the first minute of a game. simple as.

Or you realize that the play there is to punt it upfield - in fact, that is what you do.

• Upvote 1

You do if its coming on your wrong side or you have no particular outlet in view before you receive the ball. Hes perfectly entitled to encourage Karius to choose another option.

It wasn't the best bit of control i've seen, granted. But TTA was the other side in the clear.

I think he’s improved more than enough and him doing so will allow us to put £40m+ Into another position which is much needed.

If we had unlimited funds then sure pick up Allison alas this is not the case.

Thats fair enough.

No doubt hes come on since this apparent loose cannon chicken hearted VVD has arrived on the scene..... YES IM ROLLING MY FUCKING EYES......

You do if its coming on your wrong side or you have no particular outlet in view before you receive the ball. Hes perfectly entitled to encourage Karius to choose another option.

It wasn't the best bit of control i've seen, granted. But TTA was the other side in the clear.

It was not on his wrong side and a captain should be looking to take responsibility and help his team mates not go dont fucking give it to me.

PS - I think if we wanted to get the microscope out we could pick out bad things from all players, including our favorite players. I'll do two, just to give examples from last night. 

Mad Dog Robertson - could easily have given a penalty away, hands on Sterling in the box, could have shepherded it out better. Decision (rightly) not given by the ref. In addition to this you could also pick out a few times where he was high up the pitch when Man City got the ball back and the defence was exposed. (I'm sure he was playing to instruction, just as Karius would have been playing to instruction with the punch, for example, but sometimes against very good opposition you don't always do everything you set out to do because they are trying to play their game too!)

Virgil Van Dijk - dodgy on the first goal. Stopped playing when Sterling tapped his heel. Play to the whistle! Then instead of clearing his lines he delayed, so Sterling put a challenge in. OK, Sterling pushed him, but the ref didn't give it, and if I wanted to be critical of Van Dijk I would say look at the size of him compared to Sterling! He shouldn't be getting pushed over by that weasel!

Now, I don't for a minute believe the thrust of either argument I'm laying out here, because VDV is an excellent player who has transformed our defence, should probably be captain, and will hopefully be a kingpin at the back for years to come, lifting some big trophies with us. 

Again, Robertson is a smashing player. Makes good decisions, is quick, has a good cross, and his stamina is great too. He could be our left back for the next decade. 

All I'm saying is that we can pick stuff out with ALL players that wasn't very good if we are so inclined. 

Bringing it back round to Karius, he wasn't great against City last night, but he has turned a big corner with us, and he has been putting in some good displays for a few months. 

Maybe Klopp will replace him with a new number one, but I would be very surprised if that happened at this stage. Guess we will find out in summer!

Karius has been much better for a a few months now. He has been more commanding in his presence, coming for crosses, punching, playing on the front foot and helping the defence play higher, good with his distribution, and then there have been a number of saves, some of them really quite excellent. 

I think he has the jersey as our number 1 long term. 

Looking at the Man City games, he conceded one goal over two matches, which most goalkeepers can't lay claim to against that team. 

Last night I thought the punch that came back off Milner was iffy. He had to come through a lot of people and in the end punched it downward and it led to a dangerous situation. 

We were under the cosh for the whole first half. They kept coming right through us in wave after wave. They are a very good side, and they tested everyone on the team to the max. 

We came through the tie as worthy 5-1 winners and Karius played his part in that. 

It's fairer to assess his current standing in the context of the form he has been showing for a good while now. Arguably we will replace him with a new number 1, but I would be surprised if we did that. I think he has the shirt for the foreseeable future, and if he keeps going as he has been in recent months, and building on that, he could be our keeper for years to come.

e

Mate how many serious efforts on goal did Karius have to make last night ? Other than goal I don't think he was worked hard . He needed to be alert and do the basics under the first half pressure but that should be meat and drink

PS - I think if we wanted to get the microscope out we could pick out bad things from all players, including our favorite players. I'll do two, just to give examples from last night. 

Mad Dog Robertson - could easily have given a penalty away, hands on Sterling in the box, could have shepherded it out better. Decision (rightly) not given by the ref. In addition to this you could also pick out a few times where he was high up the pitch when Man City got the ball back and the defence was exposed. (I'm sure he was playing to instruction, just as Karius would have been playing to instruction with the punch, for example, but sometimes against very good opposition you don't always do everything you set out to do because they are trying to play their game too!)

Virgil Van Dijk - dodgy on the first goal. Stopped playing when Sterling tapped his heel. Play to the whistle! Then instead of clearing his lines he delayed, so Sterling put a challenge in. OK, Sterling pushed him, but the ref didn't give it, and if I wanted to be critical of Van Dijk I would say look at the size of him compared to Sterling! He shouldn't be getting pushed over by that weasel!

Now, I don't for a minute believe the thrust of either argument I'm laying out here, because VDV is an excellent player who has transformed our defence, should probably be captain, and will hopefully be a kingpin at the back for years to come, lifting some big trophies with us. 

Again, Robertson is a smashing player. Makes good decisions, is quick, has a good cross, and his stamina is great too. He could be our left back for the next decade. 

All I'm saying is that we can pick stuff out with ALL players that wasn't very good if we are so inclined. 

Bringing it back round to Karius, he wasn't great against City last night, but he has turned a big corner with us, and he has been putting in some good displays for a few months. 

Maybe Klopp will replace him with a new number one, but I would be very surprised if that happened at this stage. Guess we will find out in summer!

Im talking about 2 incidents, one that was a goal and one that, again according to everyone alive, should have been.

I agree hes improved. But he wasn't great last night. 

My second post gets to the heart of what I'm saying. 

Karius has turned a big corner with us. 

It's possible to pull any player apart and highlight what they didn't do well. 

I'm well aware City had 3 shots on target over two games, but on the whole, I'd say Karius is no longer a problem for us, and he is 'in a good way' to quote a phrase Jurgen loves!

Im talking about 2 incidents, one that was a goal and one that, again according to everyone alive, should have been.

I agree hes improved. But he wasn't great last night. 

I agree, he wasn't great last night. Fair enough if you want to go there. 

We could extend that level of scrutiny to others who did less than stellar things that caused us problems too. 

But we won, 5-1 over two legs, and we are marching up the hill. 

Karius is in situ and he is doing well. 

It was not on his wrong side and a captain should be looking to take responsibility and help his team mates not go dont fucking give it to me.

OK we'll have to disagree then.

I'd say his judgment was sound in that he knew it was a dangerous ball and the inverse true of Karius.

Im at the other end of the telescope to you i'm afraid.

I would just say that i started the "well win the CL" thread on Feb 1st because i could see we were improving at the back, and VVD, and Karius, have been a good part of that too.

So fair play to them all.

I agree, he wasn't great last night. Fair enough if you want to go there. 

We could extend that level of scrutiny to others who did less than stellar things that caused us problems too. 

But we won, 5-1 over two legs, and we are marching up the hill. 

Karius is in situ and he is doing well. 

Problems sure, but not directly repsonsible for two "goals".