You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers Speaks!

an tha

Playing Gerrard as a DM was a bold but successful move,a catalyst for the winning run we went on.  It's ironic that it also led to the slip which shall not be mentioned, but that's how it goes.  Shit happens. 

I still can't come to terms with the fact Gerrard was the deepest player in that incident.  Generally of course the centre halfs not to mention full backs should be behind Gerrard, but there we go.  Shit does indeed happen.

• Upvote 1

Playing Gerrard as a DM was a bold but successful move,a catalyst for the winning run we went on. It's ironic that it also led to the slip which shall not be mentioned, but that's how it goes. Shit happens.

No Suarez Sturbridge etc were the catalysts stevia g was the odd man out in Rodgers five attackers five defenders system. Got away with that against shit teams although not crystal palace it wasn't the only time.

The long winning run coincided with moving Gerrard to DM, I believe. Read into that what you will but for me he was instrumental in our title challenge (last minute penalties, exquisite through balls to your man Sturridge).

He was more a deep lying playmaker. I don't think defence was even in the job description.

Well, we lost the game 2-0, not 1-0 and we then fell apart against Palace because our tactics were naive. Gerrard's slip didn't cost us the title.

The title was lost against Chelsea, anyone denying that is in denial or wants to put the blame on BR instead of Gerrard.

The team was right to keep attacking against Palace as getting more goals was the only chance we had of winning the title, I would have rather went for it instead of just accepting the three points and hoping Man city lost one of their last two games.

• Downvote 1

The long winning run coincided with moving Gerrard to DM, I believe. Read into that what you will but for me he was instrumental in our title challenge (last minute penalties, exquisite through balls to your man Sturridge).

He played a sort of quarter back role and yes it allowed him to probe from deep ala xabi but gerrard would've been better utilised further forward instead the job of getting up was given to the likes of he do even Lucas I think was played in a more advance position out the two.

He was part of the machine but not instrumental really I think he was under utilised compared to other seasons where he was instrumental.

Rodgers does his defence five and an attacking five split and I always wondered why gerrard was never part of our attacking five always in the defensive five. No top class manager has or would play gerrard as a DM other than as stopgap I think gerrard as DM was instrumental in us losing out as we couldn't stop conceding it happend to keegan with the same idea and Newcastle unravelled in a similar fashion boom and bust we will score one more mentality is predictable and only works with top players shearer or Suarez who are as good as a one nil lead.

The title was lost against Chelsea, anyone denying that is in denial or wants to put the blame on BR instead of Gerrard.

The team was right to keep attacking against Palace as getting more goals was the only chance we had of winning the title, I would have rather went for it instead of just accepting the three points and hoping Man city lost one of their last two games.

Wrong again

Nonsense.

Firstly a points total is accrued over a season. One game is only ever worth a maximum three points.

Secondly, during the Chelsea game, if you are prepared to accept the "what if Gerrard hadn't slipped" argument, you must also accept the "What if Chelsea had gone on to score another goal anyway" argument.

We went on an unbelievable run in the second half of that season, any team on that run was going to falter at some point. We had not done well enough in the first half of the season to provide any slack, and our defensive weaknesses were never addressed.

Great times though.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Nonsense.

Firstly a points total is accrued over a season. One game is only ever worth a maximum three points.

Secondly, during the Chelsea game, if you are prepared to accept the "what if Gerrard hadn't slipped" argument, you must also accept the "What if Chelsea had gone on to score another goal anyway" argument.

We went on an unbelievable run in the second half of that season, any team on that run was going to falter at some point. We had not done well enough in the first half of the season to provide any slack, and our defensive weaknesses were never addressed.

Great times though.

Indeed. Letting in 50 goals did for us.

That season was enormously entertaining and, for that alone, Brendan deserves some credit.

However, towards the end of his tenure it was clear he'd taken us as far as he could and it was time for him to go. He was lucky to still be in the job after the Stoke debacle.

He played a sort of quarter back role and yes it allowed him to probe from deep ala xabi but gerrard would've been better utilised further forward instead the job of getting up was given to the likes of he do even Lucas I think was played in a more advance position out the two.

He was part of the machine but not instrumental really I think he was under utilised compared to other seasons where he was instrumental.

Rodgers does his defence five and an attacking five split and I always wondered why gerrard was never part of our attacking five always in the defensive five. No top class manager has or would play gerrard as a DM other than as stopgap I think gerrard as DM was instrumental in us losing out as we couldn't stop conceding it happend to keegan with the same idea and Newcastle unravelled in a similar fashion boom and bust we will score one more mentality is predictable and only works with top players shearer or Suarez who are as good as a one nil lead.

How would he have been better utilised?  We went on a 12 game winning streak or whatever it was.  It's pretty hard to improve on that. 

How would he have been better utilised? We went on a 12 game winning streak or whatever it was. It's pretty hard to improve on that.

Is have gone and bought a DM in January and found a place for gerrard in the front five. See lampard at the bumboys.

Gerrard had to fit into the team somewhere I just found it odd Rodgers saw him as primarily a cm or DM and even at his peak he would go missing in that sort of role we needed legs in there. I thought everyone agreed on this, he'd made similar mistakes for England in that position and in previous games where we got away with it. I'd even have dropped him. If I had the system but there was room for him. I also thought Kenny should have jibbed the gerrard as a cm as it led to many lifeless games where we couldn't finish and ended up losing narrowly he didn't have the legs for it and seeing whoever was alongside him going up and missing chances I don't think we got the most out of gerrard to be fair since Benitez went I think he should have been given an attacking role. Our strike force was masking gerrards defensive shortcomings.

Lets be serious --- Rodgers or Villas Boas who is the better manager?

Villas Boas because he's proved himself by winning trophies.

That said, for all his cringe inducing utterances, Rodgers managed the club really well in 2013/14, particularly a Suarez who had a dose of the sulks because he wasn't allowed join Arsenal.