You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace (H) 08/11/15

Megadrive Man

Fully agreed with Xerxes. This season, I'd rather win a trophy, especially a European trophy, and finish 8th-9th in the league, than finish 5th and go out on all the cup. 

We need to establish a trophy winning mentality and experience to the team and develop the formidable bonding that is created when players win a trophy together.

We need to go back to the early Houllier years and the treble we won under him.

First of all, that was a good game of football. Palace have done very well against us lately and they continued that today. From the start of the game you could see that they had plenty of players who were big, strong and fast, so it was going to be a tough test. Shame on them though - if they played like that each week they would be right up there challenging.

So, we lost the game. Gutted about that but there was still plenty to be hopeful about. After going a goal down we fought back. The mental strength seems much better these days. Coutinho got the equalizer, and I feel with better finishing from Benteke, and others too, we'd have been 3-1 up before they got their second goal. We had plenty of the game and plenty of chances but the win just wasn't to be. Sometimes you lose a game of football. It's not nice but it happens. Klopp will have learned a lot about his players.

About the players then:

Shame Sakho got injured. He tried to run it off but found he could not jump. Hope it's not too bad.

Can is not a bad player, but I want to see more in the middle than he is currently offering. He should have cleared his lines for their first goal instead of that little cushioned thing that set up Bolasie.

Benteke is a decent player but his finishing wasn't very good today, either in the air or on the deck.

Coutinho has dynamite in his left foot too. That shot that was tipped over packed a punch. Defenders keep showing him on to his left, but after last week's curled effort that went in, and today's pile driver that was tipped over, defenders will have trouble on both sides.

Anyway, sometimes you lose, and today just wasn't to be. But the players kept fighting and that was pleasing to see. There's a lot of work to do but that's why Klopp is here.

• Upvote 4

He must be wondering generally what all the talk about our special atmosohere is all about. Was dire again today.

Is right, the atmos is woeful.

been watching some Bundesliga and Serie A since the season started. Their grounds were rocking.

it used to be that in Europe, the fans were limited to blowing or sounding horns and not much chanting whereas in England, all the grounds had a good atmos. Now, many European grounds put us to shame. Must be the demographics that have shifted in England and all the prawn sandwich munchers who like to fuck off 10 minutes before the game actually ends so they can get a seat on the bus home.

• Upvote 1

And you're a fucking idiot who no doubt, is representative of too many fans nowadays.

Wind your neck in superfan.

I would suggest the idiotic behaviour is sitting on your arse while a bunch of apathetic foreign millionaire mercenaries go through the motions.

If, indeed, the idiotic thing wasn't to piss money away to watch that shower in the first instance.

A game that i don't think we deserved to lose, however when you look at the goals we conceded and compare it with how the Palace defenders cleared their lines then it's actually arguable we did deserve to lose. Can and Moreno both were brain dead for their first and Migs reaction to the first Dann header was poor(incidentally i thought that Dann did exactly the same that the Bournemouth lad did and climbed over his marker to get his header in - goes to show that the decisions can go either way)

Benteke was very poor, worst player on the pitch and once again Lallana flatters to deceive - no end product to what is at times some very nice approach play, but we need him to start either putting the ball on the spot or chipping in with a few. Dishonourable mention to Can as well who as i've already mentioned to above doesn't engage his brain anywhere near enough. Its his biggest flaw as you can't fault his effort since Klopp has come in.

On the positive side Lucas had a decent game and did his job well, give the ball to the more skilful players. Mad moment aside i thought Moreno was actually half decent but when you make a fuck up the only way you can 100% make up for it is by contributing to a goal. Coutinho saw a lot of the ball but the poor movement ahead of him didn't help. I just think that having him and Lallana in the team at the moment affects the attacking options in terms of the final ball  and i'd prefer another striker instead or Firmino. Ibe looks a totally different player as well.

Final note, and I think it might finally make a few people start looking at themselves is Klopp's comments about the crowd. The atmosphere at Anfield is generally shite and is something that we've been trading off for a long time in my opinion. I'm barely a match going fan these days and watch nearly all our games on TV (get to probably only one game a season nowadays)but when i can hear the players on the pitch and see fans leaving with 10 minutes left when we are only one goal behind it's fucking disgraceful, and I don't need to be a match going fan to be able to say it. You go to the game, you support the fucking team it's as simple as. If that means you get home half an hour later then so be it, otherwise get your priorities in the right place, what are you going - to support the team or sit there grumbling or be a mute and bugger off cos you don't think we'll score. We've got a manager who says what he sees and doesn't make bland statements so if he is commenting on it then the fans need to take heed too and raise their game. I'm not saying be a happy clapper but we definitely need to get back to the crowd being a factor again. 

• Upvote 3

Wind your neck in superfan.

I would suggest the idiotic behaviour is sitting on your arse while a bunch of apathetic foreign millionaire mercenaries go through the motions.

If, indeed, the idiotic thing wasn't to piss money away to watch that shower in the first instance.

Haha, yeah that supposed to be some sort of a put down because Im having a go at dickweeds like you who want to make sure they get a seat on the bus home rather than stay in the stadium and support the team?

Fuck off with your 'super fan' shite.

Are you sure you're cut out to be a fan (or should that be a super fan) because you feel its your 'right' to fucking moan all the time?

• Upvote 2

One of the things that's really bothering me about the atmosphere is the song repertoire. It's fucking shite. The only two to regularly get an airing are 'Fields of Anfield Road' and that 'Liiiiiv-eeeeer-pooool' one that's just a fucking drone. Obviously others get the odd go, but they're over no sooner have they started.

It really gets on my tits that we have no songs for our own players. There's the Coutinho one and that soft repeated shout of 'Sakho' like kids at a pantomime, and that's it. Players like Skrtel and Lucas have been here years and been good servants and there's not a peep over them. It's fucking sad that the Luis Garcia one is pulled out the bag when it's coming up to ten years since he played his last game for us and he got on a lot of peoples' tits when he was here.

The thing is, I have no idea how we solve it. The club have shown their hand and just care about milking the fans for all they're worth and the fabled atmosphere has just become something else you can exploit.

It doesn't help when it's become increasingly difficult to sit by your mates. You go to aways and you're all in the pub or the concourse together and the songs flow- some of which you don't hear at Anfield. You go to the home games and you're all scattered and it's obviously much harder to generate any kind of atmosphere.

I'm on my phone at the mo so can't really be arsed writing an essay about it. We'll always have it in us to pull a boss atmosphere out the bag but those occasions are few and far between. The sad thing is we have no-marks like Palace and Soton, singing about Anfield being a library and we just sit there and take it. Soft as shite, just like a lot in the current squad.

• Upvote 10

Some really stupid behaviour on these last few pages bickering over nothing in particular other than people's right to call themselves fans. Today was a reality check and a big reason why Klopp wants to make a GK his first signing.

We looked jaded for long parts of the game and losing Sakho was a big blow. Palace have become a bogey team as they are strong and energetic up front with a solid defence and decent GK. We suffered a Euro hangover but its important to realise that we have over achieved in our last few games and team spirit cannot triumph over technique and game intelligence by itself.

• Upvote 1

I actually thought we played quite well especially after we went 1 down. We pretty much dominated the game however we didn't get the bounce of the ball but they did (for both goals). On another day we'd win that by a couple of goals. Fair play to Palace, they had a game plan which paid off.

Compare that performance with the utter dross against West Ham a few weeks ago. It's night and day.

• Upvote 3

Alan Pardew. He just gets us.

It's funny isn't it.  Well, actually it's not fucking amusing at all.

I know it's fashionable to no longer put much stock in history, but clubs can scar each other... for a generation sometimes... on the basis of a huge "upset" result.

I reckon United's Cup Final win against us in 1977 really upped the ante in terms of making them a bogey side for us.

A record-breaking Liverpool side failed to beat them in the '79 Semi... and indeed it took us another 27 years to beat them in The Cup, when it was still something of a football showpiece.

And then fucking Palace (and Pardew). We may have been a team in decline by then, but that 1990 Semi really fucked us. (Being at the ground that day remains a low point in my life.)

I remember Palace going on to beat us 1-0 the following season in a crunch League game just after Christmas, when we were still very much a title-winning prospect.  The die was cast, with this shitty little London outlier club. 

25 years later, and they're still managing to pop up and fuck us over.  

Admittedly, perhaps I'm just drawing a long bow about jinxes.

At any rate, I reckon they've more than had their 9-0 revenge. 

I hope anyway.

• Upvote 2

A game that i don't think we deserved to lose, however when you look at the goals we conceded and compare it with how the Palace defenders cleared their lines then it's actually arguable we did deserve to lose. Can and Moreno both were brain dead for their first and Migs reaction to the first Dann header was poor(incidentally i thought that Dann did exactly the same that the Bournemouth lad did and climbed over his marker to get his header in - goes to show that the decisions can go either way)

Benteke was very poor, worst player on the pitch and once again Lallana flatters to deceive - no end product to what is at times some very nice approach play, but we need him to start either putting the ball on the spot or chipping in with a few. Dishonourable mention to Can as well who as i've already mentioned to above doesn't engage his brain anywhere near enough. Its his biggest flaw as you can't fault his effort since Klopp has come in.

On the positive side Lucas had a decent game and did his job well, give the ball to the more skilful players. Mad moment aside i thought Moreno was actually half decent but when you make a fuck up the only way you can 100% make up for it is by contributing to a goal. Coutinho saw a lot of the ball but the poor movement ahead of him didn't help. I just think that having him and Lallana in the team at the moment affects the attacking options in terms of the final ball  and i'd prefer another striker instead or Firmino. Ibe looks a totally different player as well.

Final note, and I think it might finally make a few people start looking at themselves is Klopp's comments about the crowd. The atmosphere at Anfield is generally shite and is something that we've been trading off for a long time in my opinion. I'm barely a match going fan these days and watch nearly all our games on TV (get to probably only one game a season nowadays)but when i can hear the players on the pitch and see fans leaving with 10 minutes left when we are only one goal behind it's fucking disgraceful, and I don't need to be a match going fan to be able to say it. You go to the game, you support the fucking team it's as simple as. If that means you get home half an hour later then so be it, otherwise get your priorities in the right place, what are you going - to support the team or sit there grumbling or be a mute and bugger off cos you don't think we'll score. We've got a manager who says what he sees and doesn't make bland statements so if he is commenting on it then the fans need to take heed too and raise their game. I'm not saying be a happy clapper but we definitely need to get back to the crowd being a factor again. 

Agree with every last word of that. Have some Rep.

It's funny isn't it.  Well, actually it's not fucking amusing at all.

I know it's fashionable to no longer put much stock in history, but clubs can scar each other... for a generation sometimes... on the basis of a huge "upset" result.

I reckon United's Cup Final win against us in 1977 really upped the ante in terms of making them a bogey side for us.

A record-breaking Liverpool side failed to beat them in the '79 Semi... and indeed it took us another 27 years to beat them in The Cup, when it was still something of a football showpiece.

And then fucking Palace (and Pardew). We may have been a team in decline by then, but that 1990 Semi really fucked us. (Being at the ground that day remains a low point in my life.)

I remember Palace going on to beat us 1-0 the following season in a crunch League game just after Christmas, when we were still very much a title-winning prospect.  The die was cast, with this shitty little London outlier club. 

25 years later, and they're still managing to pop up and fuck us over.  

Admittedly, perhaps I'm just drawing a long bow about jinxes.

At any rate, I reckon they've more than had their 9-0 revenge. 

I hope anyway.

What was frustrating about todays result is Palace have had much better performances against us.

We were the better team today, but we looked tired and with that comes sloppiness. 

Benteke in particular looked wrecked, no movement from him at times. 

Had we not had that fucking game on Thursday I reckon we'd have comfortably won today. 

Really do question some of our so called fans. People need to stop and read what they post and wonder if maybe this game is really for them.

If following us made me as miserable as it does some on here I'd really consider sacking the whole thing off. It can't be healthy.

Atmosphere at all English grounds is wank and has been for a very long time.  Boozefree expensive all seated, it's not changing any time soon.

That's not true though is it? There's plenty of clubs up and down the country that have a great atmosphere. Not just in the PL either.

Cant blame in all on the fans though. No doubt a lot of people in attendance go for the experience, but a lot of fans are priced out of it and there's not a massive deal to sing about at the moment either. Does make me cringe when players, commentators and the like still talk about the 'famous Anfield atmosphere' though. It's almost reaching 'Newcastle are a massive club' levels of nonsense.

I don't think anyone would dare criticise the fans and rightly so really, but I think it would rattle a few cages in a positive way.

• Upvote 1

Don't expect Klopp to be here past next season. English football has sold its soul for money. Why would you leave the brilliant German league for this shit? There is no atmosphere, no kids, no poor people, no standing, no booze. Just a bunch of middle-class moaning consumers there to add something to their social media feeds.