You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I see some shift patterns that exist now and the days worked the hours, weekends split up and I can't think of any valid reason for such dumb awkward shitty work patterns other than actively trying to fuck people up. So many employers treat staff like absolute dogshit, employees arent property of the company. Maybe a party actually called Labour could fight for the interests of those who actually do it.

Everything is going fucking backwards.

Ignoring Rico's silliness, the 2019 Manifesto did promise a significant shift in power in the workplace.  I don't know how much of this survives "under new management".

20210708_230733.png

20210708_230754.png

19 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I'm more sure than ever that with a sensible left wing progressive govt Brexit would have long term real benefits for medium-low paid workers. Bevan, Foot, Atlee, Benn were right, the EU has proven itself to be little more than a capitalist pig market, it stinks.

Er, just the one massive flaw with that.

You need to face some facts rather than banging that tired old drum.

Delusional.

11 hours ago, No2 said:

@Gnasher if you had a farm with strawberries,  raspberries and blackberries already growing and you had orders for all of it, a sensible person would pay more for staff if they had too,  to get that stock out of the ground and into the customer's arms. It may be 10, 20 or even 50% more but because the investment has gone in in the first place you take the hit to get the revenue in.

But the caveat here is that sensible person is now spending his time thinking of ways to use the land differently. He may change it to a product with less manual labour like sweet corn* because the sensible farmer knows paying the same rates next year is a huge loss maker. He may decide to build house's or a wind farm or a caravan park, what he won't do is pay the people more than the strawberries are worth again. This is a once off perfect storm scenario that won't be repeated.

* I have no idea if sweet corn is less manual labour intensive.

Yep I agree with all that, not sure what your point is tbh though. If it's the tarmacing of fruit fields for other purposes if they believe the situation will be ongoing. I agree fruit prices may/will have to rise to meet costs. The other person in this triangle from producer to consumer who you haven't mentioned is the supermarkets, didn't they receive big tax payer grants during the pandemic whilst recording hugh profits? 

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Moo said:

Er, just the one massive flaw with that.

You need to face some facts rather than banging that tired old drum.

Delusional.

What facts? That pay isn't increasing because of Brexit? Or that all of Atlee, Foot, Benn and Bevan were against membership of the EU? 

I think you're the one who's delusional.

• Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I see some shift patterns that exist now and the days worked the hours, weekends split up and I can't think of any valid reason for such dumb awkward shitty work patterns other than actively trying to fuck people up. So many employers treat staff like absolute dogshit, employees arent property of the company. Maybe a party actually called Labour could fight for the interests of those who actually do it.

Everything is going fucking backwards.

Unfortunately all true, but that demograph should change due to the sudden disapperance of a substantial workpool.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

If you're expecting tears from me they're tears of laughter. I'm more concerned with the humans who were made to pick them. I bet they haven't offered them to local charities either.

You're laughing because you're a massive cunt. People going hungry, hundreds and thousands of kids barely getting a square meal a day and you find throwing food away funny. You're a bit of a shit aren't you.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Yep I agree with all that, not sure what your point is tbh though. If it's the tarmacing of fruit fields for other purposes if they believe the situation will be ongoing. I agree fruit prices may/will have to rise to meet costs. The other person in this triangle from producer to consumer who you haven't mentioned is the supermarkets, didn't they receive big tax payer grants during the pandemic whilst recording hugh profits? 

My point is pretty fucking obvious, the payrise you're celebrating is for now and now only, the dole awaits. And I haven't left the supermarket's out, they have nothing to do with this, they will buy from Cornwall, Zaire or from Jeff Bezos spaceship,  they don't give a fuck.

18 minutes ago, No2 said:

My point is pretty fucking obvious, the payrise you're celebrating is for now and now only, the dole awaits. And I haven't left the supermarket's out, they have nothing to do with this, they will buy from Cornwall, Zaire or from Jeff Bezos spaceship,  they don't give a fuck.

Less of the kiddie boy attitude you up your arse fucking plum.

Yu're point was not fuckinv obvious you rattled on about some weird notion about farmers building housing estates on farm land, it was laughable..you be smoking meth?

As for your 'dole queue awaits" bollocks, you're talking about seasonal workers picking fucking vegetables and the jobs market has never been more vibrant for seasonal workers, aint you received the memo? and that ain't changing any time soon Sputnik.

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Less of the kiddie boy attitude you up your arse fucking plum.

Yu're point was not fuckinv obvious you rattled on about some weird notion about farmers building housing estates on farm land, it was laughable..you be smoking meth?

As for your 'dole queue awaits" bollocks, you're talking about seasonal workers picking fucking vegetables and the jobs market has never been more vibrant for seasonal workers, aint you received the memo? and that ain't changing any time soon Sputnik.

No need for insults gnasher. I refrain from calling you a thick cunt all the time, some mutual respect please?

5 minutes ago, No2 said:

No need for insults gnasher. I refrain from calling you a thick cunt all the time, some mutual respect please?

You certainly don't refrain from posting Gash, here you go have a nice pic of a barley field before it's turned into a housing estate, 

• Downvote 1

More good news (we'll for most of us anyway) from Bloomberg.

The lack of overseas workers and Covid are, suprise surprise, fuelling wage inflation. Plus if you are currently working in those professions experiencing a labour shortage you've probably never been more secure in your position....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-08/u-k-wage-inflation-emerges-with-post-lockdown-staff-shortages

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

The lack of overseas workers and Covid are, suprise surprise, fuelling wage inflation. Plus if you are currently working in those professions experiencing a labour shortage you've probably never been more secure in your position.... until your company goes bust.

Fixed it for you.

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Anyway, seems the EU is disguising yet more austerity...Nice pic of Ursula that though..

It's always worth reading the links you post, because they almost never say what you claim they say.

This article is not about "disguising new austerity".  It's about a fund to anticipate and mitigate austerity, which Varoufakis thinks won't work and he fears (because he supports the continued existence of the EU) will have serious impacts on EU cohesion.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Fixed it for you.

That's debatable Angry but it's a valid point, however if you are in the fruit picking/construction/haulage game I'd guess people will always need people in those positions so you're fairly secure.

The affects on the economy as a whole because of this government's mis handling of Brexit could and probably will spell trouble ahead though (which is your main point) but that's down to our government and not the act of Brexit itself.

• Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's always worth reading the links you post, because they almost never say what you claim they say.

This article is not about "disguising new austerity".  It's about a fund to anticipate and mitigate austerity, which Varoufakis thinks won't work and he fears (because he supports the continued existence of the EU) will have serious impacts on EU cohesion.

I certainly did read it Angry and I try to read most of what Varoufakis writes...the EU coronavirus response has in general been another fucking sham and the fund will solve little ...I also try read most of what Sarah O'connor prints and unfortunately for you but fortunately for those concerned with British working conditions in this article her expose shines a light into how eu free movement changed working patterns in British factories/warehouses for the worse...

The practices in the link above sums up EU employment in all its gory glory.

• Downvote 1

I certainly did read it Angry and I try to read most of what Varoufakis writes...the EU coronavirus response has in general been another fucking sham and the fund will solve little ...I also try read most of what Sarah O'connor prints and unfortunately for you but fortunately for those concerned with British working conditions in this article her expose shines a light into how eu free movement changed working patterns in British factories/warehouses for the worse...

The practices in the link above sums up EU employment in all its gory glory.

The practices in the link above took place in the UK.  Under UK law.

unfortunately for you but fortunately for those concerned with British working conditions 

Again, I'll remind you that your solution to any workplace exploitation that took place during the UK's membership of the EU is to remove rights (specifically, the right to live and work anywhere in the EU) from workers. My solution has always been to give workers more rights. 

18 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Again, I'll remind you that your solution to any workplace exploitation that took place during the UK's membership of the EU is to remove rights (specifically, the right to live and work anywhere in the EU) from workers. My solution has always been to give workers more rights. 

You've missed a large part of the point of the article though Angry and I don't  go for silly Rico shots so I know you will have read OConnners piece.

She exposes the imposition of worse working conditions with the correlation of cheap eu labour, to suit cheap European labour. A problem that was flagged up and dismissed by many for years, I remember Boss used to always mention it ( before the echo chamber boys ran him off the forum, he was a top poster) anyway the way bosses manipulated working practices to suit cheap overseas workers was disgusting and I hope with the ending of cheap EU labour we finally see the back of it.