You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Raheem Sterling Thread (Part 412)

bouncebrigade

We no longer have a marketable asset. No one to wear the club's new tat on a big picture outside the club shop.

FSG want nothing but your money but are selling anything remotely marketable.

Fucking amateurs running this club. We are fucked

I get players being frustrated at the club's direction- fucking hell, I'm wondering myself why I should arse myself to pay £870 to renew my seasie when you get the impression the owners themselves don't give a shit about us- but I've just seen Carragher's quotes there and he's spot on.

"Trophies aren't just given to you. The Villa game was a chance of getting to a final to compete for one. Where was Raheem Sterling then?"

Pretty much sums up the attitude and sense of entitlement of the modern player. 'I want to win trophies but I'm not particularly arsed about pulling my finger out to do it.'

Are people expecting a 20 year old to be winning these trophies on his own ala Gerrard?

Our best patch of form co-incided with Sterling playing upfront on his own. Why was he playing on his own? Cos the transfer committee felt it sensible to replace a player like Suarez with Lambert and Balotelli despite the club knowing back in December of 2013 that Suarez was off.

No, Coro, but a fucking performance would have been nice. That's the point of it. He hid that game, like a lot of other shitbags in the team. Only thing is, he has more talent than some of his fellow shitbags so, yeah, he could conceivably be a squad player at a club that does win trophies. I think it's taking the piss myself, saying you want to win them, and then you go missing in one of the biggest games of the season. At least look like you give a shot.

Gerrard's been criticised this season for his performances at times and rightly so. He was poor in the Villa game but he still had a header cleared off the line and played that great ball to Balotelli for the disallowed goal. I wish some of our players could be that shit when they're stinking the place out.

• Upvote 1

Are people expecting a 20 year old to be winning these trophies on his own ala Gerrard?

Our best patch of form co-incided with Sterling playing upfront on his own. Why was he playing on his own? Cos the transfer committee felt it sensible to replace a player like Suarez with Lambert and Balotelli despite the club knowing back in December of 2013 that Suarez was off.

No, I don't think so. But they are expecting players to deliver on the field before turning down obscene salaries and thinking they're too good for one of the biggest clubs in world football. Sterling seems to think he's Suarez level, and it rightfully pisses off the people paying his wages.

It's actually good he's leaving. He's exposing FSG for the bullshitters they are.

They sold us on 'the best young talent'  model and asked for patience for young players to develop and for plans to reach fruition, and now that they actually have in their possession a player who won Europe's 'golden boy' award, they balk at paying him good money at a time when he had actually earned it.

Yeah, apparently they only offered him £100k every single fucking week.  You'd think the fact that he had half a very good season last year should at least put him in the same £250k-£300k bracket as all those pricks at Man Ure.

In other news... Have you seen the ticket prices?

We no longer have a marketable asset. No one to wear the club's new tat on a big picture outside the club shop.

FSG want nothing but your money but are selling anything remotely marketable.

Fucking amateurs running this club. We are fucked

This is the thing though. They are not amateurs, they know exactly what they are doing, making the. Club as lean as possible, maximising commercial potential before selling at a massive profit. What happens on the pitch is not important and winning silver shiny things even less so

It was always obvious he was off, but the worrying thing for me is;

if we can't convince a 20 year old prospect that Liverpool is a club going places, how are we ever going to convince players who would actually improve us?

It was always obvious he was off, but the worrying thing for me is;

if we can't convince a 20 year old prospect that Liverpool is a club going places, how are we ever going to convince players who would actually improve us?

Make ourselves a club that is going places. Which we clearly are not right now.

Let our actions do the talking and not our barrage of hollow words.

Steady...

e-d04CCj_normal.jpgCarina @CarinaAnders · 4m 4 minutes ago

"It's been suggested to me that RS would have signed a new contract if another manager was in place" - Ben Smith http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05vcyt1 …

Carina @CarinaAnders · 4m 4 minutes ago

from around 18 min.

View conversation0 retweets 1 favorite

I thought that was a blue nose tweeting and RS was red shiiiiyyyyytte.

No, Coro, but a fucking performance would have been nice. That's the point of it. He hid that game, like a lot of other shitbags in the team. Only thing is, he has more talent than some of his fellow shitbags so, yeah, he could conceivably be a squad player at a club that does win trophies. I think it's taking the piss myself, saying you want to win them, and then you go missing in one of the biggest games of the season. At least look like you give a shot.

Gerrard's been criticised this season for his performances at times and rightly so. He was poor in the Villa game but he still had a header cleared off the line and played that great ball to Balotelli for the disallowed goal. I wish some of our players could be that shit when they're stinking the place out.

No, I don't think so. But they are expecting players to deliver on the field before turning down obscene salaries and thinking they're too good for one of the biggest clubs in world football. Sterling seems to think he's Suarez level, and it rightfully pisses off the people paying his wages.

If we had a transfer strategy and any sort of ambition we wouldn't have to be so reliant on young players like Sterling, Coutinho, Ibe etc. and if those players start getting better offers from other clubs do we continue to swallow the FSG cool aid?

Fuck him. Being saying for ages he comes across like a little bellend. Id have Ive any day over him. We should use him as bait for a few City lads and have done with him. We still don't know how good Sterling will be but for me its 60/40 in favour of him not reaching the potential he showed last year. The club needs to be a hell of a lot stronger. Rodgers is too soft and all. He will be hanging off Sterlings cock today.

Coro, I agree, the transfer policy is fucking shit. I remember talking about Arsenal years back and mentioning how they bring kids like Wilshere and Walcott in and have no experience around them and therefore expecting them to be leaders when they were clearly not ready. I used the example of us bringing Gerrard through and we had the likes of McAllister, Fowler, Hamann, Hyypia for him to look up to- players with experience in every position- and the role of leader was one he could naturally grow into.

I think you're missing the point here in reducing this to Raheem Sterling v FSG. They're both culpable and have a lot to answer for. I really think Sterling has a lot to answer here himself. As Carragher says, he says he wants to win trophies but hasn't turned up for months. For a young player still making a name for himself, it's a fucking awful attitude to have. He bottled taking a penalty against Besiktas and hid against Aston Villa. If you're after big boy wages and keep harping on about a determination to win trophies, despite half-arsed performance after half-performance, I think you forfeit the right to hide behind the 'kid' excuse. You have to stand up and be counted.

FSG have a hell of a lot to answer for, but it doesn't change the fact that Sterling's attitude has stunk. As I said, he seems to be symptomatic of the modern day player.

• Upvote 4