You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool's Hidden Gems

Section_31

1 minute ago, manwiththestick said:

Paul's in Widnes used to be ace, not been in years, Cronton Fish bar also. Used to also like Yummy Hut which was near the snooker hall.

Runcorn chippies such as Langdale Road, Castle Rise also pretty good.

Mentioned both earlier today. 

Used to be a proper English chippy called Openshaws on Rice Lane in Walton in the 70s / 80s  The menu consisted of chips, cod, fishcake, steak and meat/potato pies ( cooked in the fat ) and peas. It only opened of a lunchtime and he used to cut the chips with one of those hand chippers which made you wince waiting for a digit to fly off.

I can still taste the goods now.

We had Jack Pyes, big fishcakes compared to now, like a crispy orange batter and parsley fuckin' lovely, two tanners off me Mum, straight in there. 

Not even sure you get them now? Last time I seen one they where tiny shit things, a nod to Chips Peas and Onion Gravy, doubt you'll get that now.. 

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Always weirds me out how non scousers don't know what a savoury is, they ask you what one is and you can't explain it. A savoury is like being in Nam, if you have to ask what it's like, you'll never understand.

What is a savoury? A fishcake? 

11 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Always weirds me out how non scousers don't know what a savoury is, they ask you what one is and you can't explain it. A savoury is like being in Nam, if you have to ask what it's like, you'll never understand.

I got my mate in work a savoury from the local chippy and her mind was blown. She's a thirty year old from Formby and wanted to know what delicious sorcery this was and why her parents hadn't introduced it to her as a child.

13 hours ago, Section_31 said:

We've tried to make it easy for the OOTs by dropping the name "fish cake" and calling them savouries.

When Mrs O'T first came to Liverpool (from London) she went to a chippy for fish cake and chips.  She spotted scallops on the menu and was really impressed by the availability of shellfish in the chippy.

She was less than impressed when she went home with, basically, three different types of deep-fried potato.

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Woah there nelly, a fish cake isn't a savoury, a savoury is deep fried spuds and sage.

Yeah, but it used to be commonly known as a fish cake - even in chippies that also sold real fish cakes (with fish in them).

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

We've tried to make it easy for the OOTs by dropping the name "fish cake" and calling them savouries.

When Mrs O'T first came to Liverpool (from London) she went to a chippy for fish cake and chips.  She spotted scallops on the menu and was really impressed by the availability of shellfish in the chippy.

She was less than impressed when she went home with, basically, three different types of deep-fried potato.

For years I had no idea that there was a sea food called called a scallop. I genuinely had only heard of the chip like thingies that my Nan used to make. It's amazing how insular about food you can become.

• Like 1

On 04/11/2014 at 14:41, Sugar Ape said:

Has anyone mentioned Woolton Village cheese shop? Fantastic place, just popped in now and got some cheddar soaked in Guinness and Snowdonia Thunder mature cheese with garlic and herbs.

I don't like red Leicester cheese but someone told me go to woolton village cheese shop, get their red Leicester and put it on toast it's the nicest cheese on toast you will ever have. He said he went there and that's what the person behind the counter told him and after trying it he they couldn't of been more right. I'm going when it opens. 

13 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I don't like red Leicester cheese but someone told me go to woolton village cheese shop, get their red Leicester and put it on toast it's the nicest cheese on toast you will ever have. He said he went there and that's what the person behind the counter told him and after trying it he they couldn't of been more right. I'm going when it opens. 

It hasn’t shut mate. I went last week, they’re also doing free deliveries across Liverpool. Check their Facebook page out. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

For years I had no idea that there was a sea food called called a scallop. I genuinely had only heard of the chip like thingies that my Nan used to make. It's amazing how insular about food you can become.

I just thought of scallops as being the shells that people used as ashtrays.  I never knew you could actually eat the stuff that was in there before.

11 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

It hasn’t shut mate. I went last week, they’re also doing free deliveries across Liverpool. Check their Facebook page out. 

Yeah still going great guns. 

I worry about the village after all this, a lot of the businesses are family owned (the Village council don't let chains open there apparently, which is why there's no Costa) 

The downside is that they'll be less able to resist all this bullshit. Coast (cafe/coffee shop) and the cinema - which is one of the greatest things in the city - could very well struggle, I'd be devastated if they went kaput. 

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah still going great guns. 

I worry about the village after all this, a lot of the businesses are family owned (the Village council don't let chains open there apparently, which is why there's no Costa) 

The downside is that they'll be less able to resist all this bullshit. Coast (cafe/coffee shop) and the cinema - which is one of the greatest things in the city - could very well struggle, I'd be devastated if they went kaput. 

I think the cinema will be alright, sure it’s been threatened before and raised a lot of money to keep it open. The other small shops and pubs might struggle but it’ll be the same in a lot of places like Lark Lane for example. 

I love Crust as well. I know there’s one in town but I much prefer the Woolton one, sensational pizza.