You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ched Evans

Bjornebye

So the law should bend to cultural convention...

No, but the application of it should.

I don't think the judge is saying she was extremely intoxicated purely because she stumbled.

You've read into it, but have cherry picked one part of the case reporting to suit your argument that she was a bit of a goer who just had regrets the following day.

If you read a bit more the additional information is out there which led to the extreme intoxication finding, such as blood alcohol readings and the fact that she woke up in a puddle of her own piss. Factors which I'm sure the judge and jury were privy to and have considered too, rather than looking at just her stumbling.

I've read other things too, like the fact that she didn't get to the hotel until well after an hour after she had finished drinking. The fact that the night porter said she "appeared drunk", not that she was unconscious.

The toxicology report suggests that she was 2.5 times the drink drive limit and had traces of marijuana and cocaine in her system? But she confirms she regularly drunk more than that. Fuck it though, let's send him down because a girl pissed herself and he used a fire exit!

What we are saying here is that a person can commit a crime and be convicted when intoxicated, but they can't consent to have sex.

Also, the only place I've seen that text said "I'm with a girl" is chedevans.com.

All other sources say "got a bird"

Are you actually Ched Evans?

It is reported elsewhere, although they do say "words to the effect of". Anyway, again I would hardly call that grounds for conviction. This wasn't the first time that these two had engaged in 'group sex' and it's pretty obvious that they are a bit morally bankrupt when it comes to sex, but again, that doesn't make them rapists.

They can. She didn't.

You've kind of missed the point. The courts at this present time have decided that she wasn't able to give consent because she was drunk. So she was able theoretically able to commit a crime and be held accountable, but she wasn't able to consent to sexual intercourse.

She was able to walk, able to talk, able to order food and eat food. Able to invite herself to a hotel room, able to consent to sex with one individual, but not able to consent to sex with a second. 

I just think the whole thing is massively complex and it's a contentious conviction.

You've kind of missed the point. The courts at this present time have decided that she wasn't able to give consent because she was drunk. So she was able theoretically able to commit a crime and be held accountable, but she wasn't able to consent to sexual intercourse.

She was able to walk, able to talk, able to order food and eat food. Able to invite herself to a hotel room, able to consent to sex with one individual, but not able to consent to sex with a second. 

I just think the whole thing is massively complex and it's a contentious conviction.

Yes, it probably is. Doesn't make it a wrong conviction, though.

Graham Rix is nodding vigorously at this. The jury, having been instructed they must agree on what happened beyond reasonable doubt,  agreed that she consented to sex with Clayton McDonald but not with Ched Evans. To get twelve people to agree on a set of events is an extremely high bar to clear, but the prosecution managed it.

Well aye, and we'll see what the appeal brings. My personal opinion is that there is more than enough doubt to overturn.

Your personal opinion seems to be that if there is an accusation of rape and it's her word against his with nothing else but circumstantial evidence, you can never convict him.

Your personal opinion seems to be that if there is an accusation of rape and it's her word against his with nothing else but circumstantial evidence, you can never convict him.

Go away. I can't even be arsed talking to you and you insinuations. Toxicology, forensics, witness reports and other things come into the mix. The jury shouldn't be speculating or making moral judgements.

Go away. I can't even be arsed talking to you and you insinuations. Toxicology, forensics, witness reports and other things come into the mix. The jury shouldn't be speculating or making moral judgements.

If you don't like people following your commentary on this subject through to its logical conclusion then I suggest you put them on ignore or stop commenting. I'm not going anywhere.

If you don't like people following your commentary on this subject through to its logical conclusion then I suggest you put them on ignore or stop commenting. I'm not going anywhere.

Is your avatar picture actually of you, because when I read your posts, I can't help but think that it is!