You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Becoming a dad for the first time

redheart

I normally do trick or treating with the kids but my bird is taking them to a party this year so I took the little one to a ‘Halloween Trail’ that the council put on earlier tonight. 20-30 minutes walking along the trail through the woods with smoke machines, sound effects, strobe lights and loads of zombies, witches, axe wielding murderers and the like jumping out at you. It was top drawer and even put the shits up me a couple of times. Needless to say, Turdsette was screaming and crying all the way round and she’s already ruled herself out of going next year. I’ll go by myself if I have to.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Went to the Nativity today.  Not a dry eye in the house.  ToddleD was a snowflake leading a bunch of other snowflakes.  She was doing some interpretive dance different to all the other kids.  She had her own line at the end and totally smashed it. Everyone picked me up on their shoulders and carried me about congratulating me because I've got such a boss daughter.

Man tears were shed, oh yes, man tears were shed. 

• Upvote 6

Guest Pistonbroke

Went to the Nativity today.  Not a dry eye in the house.  ToddleD was a snowflake leading a bunch of other snowflakes.  She was doing some interpretive dance different to all the other kids.  She had her own line at the end and totally smashed it. Everyone picked me up on their shoulders and carried me about congratulating me because I've got such a boss daughter.

Man tears were shed, oh yes, man tears were shed. 

Tempted to crack a political joke, but I won't. 

Fond memories for the 'Happy Memory Bank' mate. 

My daughter is 2 weeks old now. This morning she managed a new personal best of doing 4 pees, 1 shit and a vomit in the space of a single nappy change. She celebrated this by doing another shit 10 minutes later.

Been getting some serious dad shoulder and all.

Yara:9e2dc8c8af345a00f019f7a8512c5b5e.jpg

• Upvote 5

My daughter is 2 weeks old now. This morning she managed a new personal best of doing 4 pees, 1 shit and a vomit in the space of a single nappy change. She celebrated this by doing another shit 10 minutes later.

Been getting some serious dad shoulder and all.

Yara:9e2dc8c8af345a00f019f7a8512c5b5e.jpg

Repped for Dad shoulder.  

Gorgeous girl mate. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We had our second child on Sat morn. A few Few complications but he finally got home today amd i can finally relax. 7 pound 11 the little dude was. We were trying for 3 years after our first was born. Wife had really bad endometriosis and they said it was highly unlikely that we'd conceive again. But he's here and I'm over the moon. No name yet but it's hopefully going to be Kenny. On cloud 9.

• Upvote 17

We had our second child on Sat morn. A few Few complications but he finally got home today amd i can finally relax. 7 pound 11 the little dude was. We were trying for 3 years after our first was born. Wife had really bad endometriosis and they said it was highly unlikely that we'd conceive again. But he's here and I'm over the moon. No name yet but it's hopefully going to be Kenny. On cloud 9.

Congratulations & all the best.

A day you must have thought might never come. Delighted for you all

Guest Pistonbroke

Congratulations mate and good health to all. 

Any advice on Colic? We've used gripe water which helps a bit and tried various manouvres: Baby Bowen massage, legs pumps, monkey hangs, lifting her like a grock might lift a kettlebell and of course burping her into next week. Various success has been had but nothing consistantly work. She seems to play up when my missus is on her own leaving my wife absolutely exhausted.

Our daughter had colic and nothing worked 100%. We put her on sensitive food which worked a bit. The noise of the Hoover helped her sleep but we ended up burning out 3 Hoover's over 4.5 months before she finally got rid of it. It's a nightmare, I totally understand how your wife must feel.

To be fair she's been pretty good so far, much more good nights than bad, it's just her most recent bad nights were 2 in a row when I was in "quarantine" due to being ill and my wife's grandma had just passed away. My work colleague just recommended ironing a muslin for the warmth and then holding it against her belly to release the pressure so going to try that next

Any advice on Colic? We've used gripe water which helps a bit and tried various manouvres: Baby Bowen massage, legs pumps, monkey hangs, lifting her like a grock might lift a kettlebell and of course burping her into next week. Various success has been had but nothing consistantly work. She seems to play up when my missus is on her own leaving my wife absolutely exhausted.

Remmie, I totally and utterly feel your pain.

Our wee fella is nearly 2 and a half now and he suffered very bad with Colic/reflux.

I'd love to be able to come on here and give you the magic formula, but I hate to say, I don't think there is one. My missus tried absolutely bloody everything, and I do mean everything, but generally to no avail.

The only positive thing I can say is it does eventually stop. Unfortunately you just don't know when.

Darragh didn't sleep through the night until he was one and a half, which I have to admit nearly broke me. But I have a friend who's little girl had colic but hers only lasted 4-5 months.

The main thing that would set our lad off was anything lactose based. So try your hardest to keep milk away.

So non milk based formula, or If your missus is breastfeeding, she sound try not drinking any caffeine or milk. My missus breastfed for the first 4 months, but if she drank as much as a cup of tea, sweet baby Jesus did Darragh act up after it.

This was a half decent mixture for us. Colief in every bottle of the apatmil.

I really hope this helps.

But chin up, it will end, and just like anything else that happened in the past, it's just another memory.

040b61944c433fe79e3a1cfd95f92fa8.jpg

• Upvote 1

Remmie, I totally and utterly feel your pain.

Our wee fella is nearly 2 and a half now and he suffered very bad with Colic/reflux.

I'd love to be able to come on here and give you the magic formula, but I hate to say, I don't think there is one. My missus tried absolutely bloody everything, and I do mean everything, but generally to no avail.

The only positive thing I can say is it does eventually stop. Unfortunately you just don't know when.

Darragh didn't sleep through the night until he was one and a half, which I have to admit nearly broke me. But I have a friend who's little girl had colic but hers only lasted 4-5 months.

The main thing that would set our lad off was anything lactose based. So try your hardest to keep milk away.

So non milk based formula, or If your missus is breastfeeding, she sound try not drinking any caffeine or milk. My missus breastfed for the first 4 months, but if she drank as much as a cup of tea, sweet baby Jesus did Darragh act up after it.

This was a half decent mixture for us. Colief in every bottle of the apatmil.

I really hope this helps.

But chin up, it will end, and just like anything else that happened in the past, it's just another memory.

040b61944c433fe79e3a1cfd95f92fa8.jpg

I remember reading your posts and feeling a deep empathy for you. Our girl is just 6 weeks old and has only given me a couple of long nights, my wife maybe 3 or 4 more so nowhere near as hard as yours sounded. She just seems to get it at night and don't want her to suffer.

Colief! I knew I'd read something somewhere about a good Colic relief medicine, will check it out, repped.

And now because I've become the proud parent bore, any excuse to post a picture:de0217ac6dc90c5f98835e29e5d314a5.jpg

• Upvote 2