You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Qatar World Cup decision could be based on backhanders claims shocking report

Section_31

If only Max Clifford was still around to help with poor Sepp's battered image...

Looks like he already had plans in place a few years back...

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/football/06/01/fifa.blatter.clifford.reform/

Sony trying to distance themselves from Blatter reminds me of Cowell and co fucking off Max when he got jailed.

I see Blatter has stated he wants to see football played on a different planet in the future, and against other members of the universe.

He said this with a straight face too.

If this isn't enough to finally condemn the old dribbling cunt to the asylum, then I don't know what is.

You've not seen the promo for the 2026 WC yet then

destination_moon_ver1.jpg

I see Blatter has stated he wants to see football played on a different planet in the future, and against other members of the universe.

He said this with a straight face too.

If this isn't enough to finally condemn the old dribbling cunt to the asylum, then I don't know what is.

It wouldn't work there would be no atmosphere.....(I'll get me coat)

And I guess we know who would try and get in the first Englan squad to go..

2tOaK.jpg

• Upvote 3

The cunt is on his knees now. All going exactly how Fanchester stated earlier.

Some banking guru has slammed Blatter and FIFA being based in Switzerland for giving the country a bad name, and now Platini has turned him over.

This is fucking brilliant. All we need now is Sub-Zero to appear on screen and rip his torso out of his body.

Some banking guru has slammed Blatter and FIFA being based in Switzerland for giving the country a bad name, and now Platini has turned him over.

This is fucking brilliant. All we need now is Sub-Zero to appear on screen and rip his torso out of his body.

I agree with all this, even though I can't pretend I know who Sub-zero is.

Whats Platini done ?

I thought his cock smelt of Blatter

Fifa has provisionally banned World Cup winner Franz Beckenbauer from all footballing activities for 90 days for failing to co-operate with the Qatar 2022 corruption inquiry.

Beckenbauer, who won the World Cup with West Germany as a player and as a coach, had been asked to help with a Fifa ethics investigation.

The 68-year-old was part of the Fifa executive committee which voted to give the tournament to Russia in 2018 and Qatar in 2022.

He left Fifa's executive committee in 2011 but remained on their football committee.

• 8 months later...

FIFA are now talking about staging the 2022 World Cup in November and December of that year.

The whole sorry mess just makes it abundantly clear to me that the decision to award Qatar hosting rights was based on dodgy backhanders and political capital with little regard to the actual logistics of staging the event. The FIFA ExCo members were clearly dazzled and wowed by all the trinkets on offer, the fancy computer-generated clips of stadiums and the promise of new wealth that they ignored everything to do with the actual feasibility of staging their own bloody showpiece event in the country. Trying to gag Michael Garcia and his report is just further evidence that FIFA have got something to hide. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31600194

2022 World Cup: Tournament set for November and December

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar should take place in November and December, a Fifa taskforce has recommended.

Key football officials met in Doha to discuss a number of options following fears a summer event would endanger the health of players and fans.

Summer temperatures in Qatar can exceed 40C while those in November and December drop to around 25C.

Tuesday's recommendation is expected to be ratified by Fifa's executive committee in Zurich on 19 and 20 March.

Taskforce chief Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al-Khalifa also recommended that the 2022 tournament should be shortened by a few days.

There has already been speculation that the tournament could start on 26 November and end on 23 December.

However, Fifa has already said there are no plans to reduce the size of the tournament from 32 teams or 64 matches.

Why was November-December chosen?

The other dates under consideration were May and January-February.

In a statement, Fifa said a number of options had been discussed but felt that November-December was the best one because:

• The two bidding cities for the 2022 Winter Olympics - Almaty (Kazakhstan) and Beijing (China) - plan to hold the event from 4-20 February, 2022
  • The month of Ramadan begins on 2 April in 2022
  • And that consistently hot conditions prevail from May to September in the Gulf state

The statement continued: "The only remaining effective option is the November-December window."

Sheikh Salman added: "We are very pleased that, after careful consideration of the various opinions and detailed discussions with all stakeholders, we have identified what we believe to be the best solution for the 2018-2024 international match calendar and football in general.

"It was a challenging task and I want to thank all members of the football community for their productive input and constructiveness in helping to find a solution that we believe can work for everyone."

What will happen now?

BBC Radio 5 live's sports news reporter Richard Conway said Europe's leading leagues and clubs had wanted the tournament moved to May but had "lost this argument".

However, he indicated the row over dates would rumble on.

"It's not not the end of the story by a long way, but organisers in Qatar will be hopeful that this is the start perhaps of building and planning for the 2022 World Cup for real," he added.

What will impact be on British domestic game?

English football's Premier League strongly opposed a winter tournament given the disruption it would cause to the title run-in and the hole it would create in the schedules of its broadcast partners.

A World Cup in November and December also affects the Football League, the FA Cup and League Cup with the domestic season in England running from August to May.

A recent statement from the Premier League said: "The 2022 World Cup was bid for and awarded to Qatar as a summer tournament.

"The prospect of a winter World Cup is neither workable nor desirable for European domestic football."

League and cup competitions in Scotland may also face disruption, regardless of whether the national team qualifies for the tournament with players being called up for other international teams.

Wales and Northern Ireland's leagues are less likely to be affected with the vast majority of their players non internationals.

Peter Coates, chairman of English Premier League side Stoke City, described the situation as a "disaster".

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "The only saving grace is that we don't have to think about it for a long time.

"The planning will go on and it will be incredibly difficult. It couldn't be more disruptive. It couldn't be more messy."

The news will upset some of Europe's other top leagues, who preferred an April-May option to minimise disruption to their domestic programmes.

What are winter temperatures like in Qatar?

Average temperatures in November are around 29C, dropping to around 25C by mid-December, slightly cooler than the 35C averages in May.

Tournament organisers had planned to use air-cooling technology they claimed would lower temperatures within grounds to about 23C.

The outrage over this makes me laugh. Don't know why, it affects hardly anybody who is outraged over it and it seems the English journalists are only pissed off because it was England who were overlooked.

The outrage is  not about the WC during our season its the fact that the whole idea of playing the tournament in Qatar is ludicrous and its an open secret FIFA were bribed to award it to them.

Im surprised they has been no credible move to break away from FIFA, particularly by European and the big South American or emerging Far East nations.

Plenty of sports have seen breakaways from the governing body for numerous reasons.

That davies twat who was once a big hitter in the FA (not bad for a former BBC North West News reader!) was suggesting the football calendar be split in two if clubs were 'brave' and 'grasped' the opportunity the Qatar world cup will bring.

So, that's 2 championship either side of the world cup and international break is it? Yeah ok. Not!

The outrage over this makes me laugh. Don't know why, it affects hardly anybody who is outraged over it and it seems the English journalists are only pissed off because it was England who were overlooked.

Bloody Hell, Robbie, it's not difficult to see why there is so much outrage

Think about the richest part of Fifa with all the biggest teams and most lucrative tv contracts and think about when they play their football

Then have a think about what sort of knock on effects this is going to have with, say, other sports and attendances and when people take their holidays etc etc

Have a think about broken contracts and moving the goalposts and bidding for contracts

A FIFA report said England had the best bid proposal and infrastructure for the 2018 bid process. It was overlooked for a host of reasons in favour of russia, few of them football related.

Yes, the 'english' are pissed at that fact but its not just the english who are questioning the whole qatar bid.

I can't believe there hasn't been more a kick off from the US, Australia and Japan, given the bidding was on the proviso of a summer World Cup, hence why you had Qatar coming out with all that bollocks about air conditioned stadia in the first place.

Agree with this.

The FA claim they knew the bidding process was corrupt and yet, instead of resigning from it and shouting it from the rooftops, they chose to remain part of the process. Mainly because they were busy giving Jack Warner (a prince among corrupt FIFA officials) hand jobs and helping to arrange for his family to obtain UK visas.

The FA can spare me their hypocrisy.

• Upvote 5

The FA claim they knew the bidding process was corrupt and yet, instead of resigning from it and shouting it from the rooftops, they chose to remain part of the process. Mainly because they were busy giving Jack Warner (a prince among corrupt FIFA officials) hand jobs and helping to arrange for his family to obtain UK visas.

The FA can spare me their hypocrisy.

That's the problem, no-one has clean hands