You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burning Question: Rickie Lambert - Are you on board with it?

tlw content

Haha, most were flick ons or chest downs actually, not the typical number 9 don't you know.

To mcfly who said he cant take me serious because username is jp, I took that at the time as reading before I joined on tlw particularly they were very harsh on him the summer we were signing him saying he would absolutely shit and get up to all sorts.

I took the name to show a bit of support and said he would keep his head down and be good for us that season which turned out to be right.My username should be a reminder I am right most times on here even when most say the opposite.

This is a similar occasion and there have been others like the xabi-Barry saga and Hodgson, I said exactly what would happen with xabi when a lot wanted him gone and one of only 3 or 4 threads I have started on here was one of first on here criticising hodgson during his first pre season, again I called it exactly how it went after having to deal with fans on here telling me how good a signing konchesky would be.

So basically, what I managed to gather from your post, is that you're never wrong? Is that correct?

Can't say I've seen much of him beyond our games against them, but he played well against us, and looks great in his vids. Thanks for the heads up JP.

All I've seen is an experienced player with good movement, a cracker of a shot, great hold up play, quick feet and very good in the air. his range of passing doesn't seem that bad either. Tough one, but I'm in.

I'm in 2 minds. On one hand he's better than Borini and Aspas so we've improved our attacking options. And I can't help but be happy for Lambert, he's living the dream with this move. But now we're back in the CL and expecting to challenge for the title, we should probably be looking for better, younger players. And I don't see how Lambert fits in with the way Brendan has us playing, don't see it at all.

I really hope we don't just look at these Southampton players to strengthen our squad. We should be looking for the brightest and best talents in Europe now. Lallana has had a fine season but it's just one good season in the Premiership doesn't make him world class and if we're spending big money, I'd rather spend it on genuine world class players.

Why only five starts? He's at the same level of potential as Sterling, can rotate in and out in several positions. Could be a different player even.

Thought he was a centre forward? If he isn't then you think he's good enough in other positions to be starting ahead of people? Based on what? A few games and a highlights clip? I'm never one to look down on someone for being clued up on a lad I'm not that aware of but he's played 60 games in his life. How many of those could you possibly have seen to be so sure? If it's based on rep from knowledgeable people then, again, fair enough, but hard to go so hard on the idea of him being perfect, surely?

That's a bit of a bold claim there mate. Sterling was probably Liverpool's best player in the last few months of the season. He's not potential. He's proven. Nailed on, done it, tested. There's no doubt about if he can or can't be at that level. As is Lambert. 

Some kid from Argentina coming over and trying to do the same is possible but unlikely (especially given we'll be adding - Sterling got games for a team that was stocked for 7th place and took the chance, not one stocked after finishing 2nd).

Would you argue that this lad would offer more next season than Lambert? I'd be inclined to argue that's a long-shot but that if you're paying for potential then it's a reasonable trade-off. It's just not one I want this summer.  We've got potential. Loads of it. I want something a bit more reliable from the first game of the season. We hold what we have this season.

I think Dave and Paul's points, about it being part of a Lallana fee sweetener, are important.

If we get a good package deal, great.

If we end up shelling out 30m++ for the pair, I can foresee retrospective unrest among us natives if it doesn't work out.

I'll reserve my judgment until the package is secured, and then of course, until next term when pudding-proof emerges.

In principal and on balance, I'm on board.

I can also appreciate the frustration of those like Section and Jose too though.

Now, must get back to sitting on my fence.

I'm in 2 minds. On one hand he's better than Borini and Aspas so we've improved our attacking options. And I can't help but be happy for Lambert, he's living the dream with this move. But now we're back in the CL and expecting to challenge for the title, we should probably be looking for better, younger players. 

If he comes on and does a "Mellor" in the last group game, with a place in the last 16 at stake, it would probably be worth a fair bit more than 4m to the club.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Thought he was a centre forward?

He's a forward, he can play in behind too. Drifts wide.

I'm never one to look down on someone for being clued up on a lad I'm not that aware of but he's played 60 games in his life.

He has had two full seasons of football in his career. Quite hard to have played many more games than he has already, which is around the same as Owen at the same age. Like I said back in February, I do watch a fair bit of South American football, but I'm not full on anymore; I didn't get to watch him too much this season, probably a handful of times, but I watched a lot of him the season before and I thought he was really good. He scored 13 goals in 32 games at 18/19. The potential was certainly there. Whether he has regressed, I've no idea. But as I said, it doesn't specifically have to be him. But look, this is becoming obfuscated by the player I mentioned; The point I'm making is that a top class prospect - which I consider players like Sterling to be - would, for me, be 'perfect'. Surely you can see the logic behind why I'd prefer that forward looking approach rather than a handy journeyman at 32?

Would you argue that this lad would offer more next season than Lambert? I'd be inclined to argue that's a long-shot but that if you're paying for potential then it's a reasonable trade-off. It's just not one I want this summer.  We've got potential. Loads of it. I want something a bit more reliable from the first game of the season. We hold what we have this season.

I don't think Lambert from the bench is a dead cert, BTW. There's only so much you can bring. If he scored 5 league goals next season from the bench I'd be happy. Do I think Vietto or some other talented youngster who would be coming through for the next season or two could do that? Yeah. Who knows, though; it's a roll of the dice.

I think both Lallana and Lambert are good players, but I think we're missing a trick. At least I'm worried we are. Do I think they'll both be tragic flops, probably not no because they both are talented players. I don't think they're quite the step up in quality that we're looking for. They add depth more than they add first 11 quality.

With such attributes as a good eye for a pass and a rocket shot from range, his earlier career grounding in midfield and Brendan's love of trying players in different positions to see if they have more to offer, reading a Maddock article in the Mirror before made me wonder if we may see Lambert playing the number 10 role for us at times next season. 

Rodgers has been saying he wants someone who can provide and score from there since he came in, and we all know Hendo and Coutinho need to add especially the latter to their repertoire.

Options.

He's a forward, he can play in behind too. Drifts wide.

He has had two full seasons of football in his career. Quite hard to have played many more games than he has already, which is around the same as Owen at the same age. Like I said back in February, I do watch a fair bit of South American football, but I'm not full on anymore; I didn't get to watch him too much this season, probably a handful of times, but I watched a lot of him the season before and I thought he was really good. He scored 13 goals in 32 games at 18/19. The potential was certainly there. Whether he has regressed, I've no idea. But as I said, it doesn't specifically have to be him. But look, this is becoming obfuscated by the player I mentioned; The point I'm making is that a top class prospect - which I consider players like Sterling to be - would, for me, be 'perfect'. Surely you can see the logic behind why I'd prefer that forward looking approach rather than a handy journeyman at 32?

I don't think Lambert from the bench is a dead cert, BTW. There's only so much you can bring. If he scored 5 league goals next season from the bench I'd be happy. Do I think Vietto or some other talented youngster who would be coming through for the next season or two could do that? Yeah. Who knows, though; it's a roll of the dice.

I think both Lallana and Lambert are good players, but I think we're missing a trick. At least I'm worried we are. Do I think they'll both be tragic flops, probably not no because they both are talented players. I don't think they're quite the step up in quality that we're looking for. They add depth more than they add first 11 quality.

I think I think it's a little less of a roll of the dice than you do and a little bit more of a risk to go for potential, and that it'll be more expensive in Lambert's case. Probably a fair description of our difference of opinion on it?

I think I rate Lallana higher than many on here because I see him as a genuine improvement on the likes of Coutinho and Sterling and also think his level could go up again under Rodgers. Outside of the really stellar names that people might throw (and even including some of them) I can't think of a better fit for what we need next season. 

I might be wrong but I think the club might have the same approach as I do to next season and see these Southampton lads as proven quality in this league, coached in a very similar system to us, who will be hitting the ground running with no/little settling in time.  It may sound unambitious but I'm happy to dig a trench across 4th position next season, enjoy the Champions League, develop the squad a bit more and if we do better then cool. 

We need to be on that last chopper out of Saigon and I reckon the Southampton lads are a good bet for chipping in from minute one next season.

• Upvote 4

Sterling is developing into a pretty ace player in my opinion, and is almost out of the "potential" category, for mine, and fast approaching "genuine article" status.

If Lallana is a "genuine improvement" on Sterling, then we are well on the right track this summer window.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think I think it's a little less of a roll of the dice than you do and a little bit more of a risk to go for potential, and that it'll be more expensive in Lambert's case. Probably a fair description of our difference of opinion on it?

I think I rate Lallana higher than many on here because I see him as a genuine improvement on the likes of Coutinho and Sterling and also think his level could go up again under Rodgers. Outside of the really stellar names that people might throw (and even including some of them) I can't think of a better fit for what we need next season. 

I might be wrong but I think the club might have the same approach as I do to next season and see these Southampton lads as proven quality in this league, coached in a very similar system to us, who will be hitting the ground running with no/little settling in time.  It may sound unambitious but I'm happy to dig a trench across 4th position next season, enjoy the Champions League, develop the squad a bit more and if we do better then cool. 

We need to be on that last chopper out of Saigon and I reckon the Southampton lads are a good bet for chipping in from minute one next season.

Funny thing is, I do like the players. I just think we've got it a bit wrong. I think the fees are generally wrong (not with Lambert, of course), I think the way we're going about it is wrong, and I don't think they do qualify as proven quality. I think they've (AL and RL) have come to the top level later in their career, and they've not proven themselves in the CL. Maybe I'm getting old and I'm a bit out of date with who costs what, but there have been so many good deals around over the last few years that paying so much for anything other than top level doesn't sit well with me.

I hope this isn't another missed opportunity.

Funny thing is, I do like the players. I just think we've got it a bit wrong. I think the fees are generally wrong (not with Lambert, of course), I think the way we're going about it is wrong, and I don't think they do qualify as proven quality. I think they've (AL and RL) have come to the top level later in their career, and they've not proven themselves in the CL. Maybe I'm getting old and I'm a bit out of date with who costs what, but there have been so many good deals around over the last few years that paying so much for anything other than top level doesn't sit well with me.

I hope this isn't another missed opportunity.

I do get where you are coming from. I've touted the players Dortmund signed for peanuts as an example of how we don't need to be spending fortunes, just spending clever. I think proving yourself in the CL is over-rated. It's not that much greater a stamp of quality than doing it against the big sides in England really.

LIke I say. I see this as probably the lowest risk move available for improving the side for next season (a side that didn't need that much improvement). I'd take 84 points again now if you offered them so options that I feel will keep the team at an 84 point level are fine with me. 

You could show me video and stats from a lad I've never seen and I might agree he looks a better fit and he's cheaper, but I haven't seen that lad so I'll have to stick with Lallana/Lambert as it is.

I might be wrong but I think the club might have the same approach as I do to next season and see these Southampton lads as proven quality in this league, coached in a very similar system to us, who will be hitting the ground running with no/little settling in time. It may sound unambitious but I'm happy to dig a trench across 4th position next season, enjoy the Champions League, develop the squad a bit more and if we do better then cool.

I couldn't disagree more with this if I tried. We should be aiming high not hoping to squeak 4th. Lallana isn't better than Sterling or Coutinho. We're back at the top table and we're looking to sign journeymen players who've just had the season of their life at a team that came 8th. Such a missed opportunity.

personally i'm underwhelmed. probably as excited as when we signed david speedie ( or stewart downing even..). but then i thought harry kewell would be boss and hendo was dogshit after his first couple of seasons so who knows?

i would love to be proved wrong

I couldn't disagree more with this if I tried. We should be aiming high not hoping to squeak 4th. Lallana isn't better than Sterling or Coutinho. We're back at the top table and we're looking to sign journeymen players who've just had the season of their life at a team that came 8th. Such a missed opportunity.

Lallana could easily end up behind both players in the pecking order for the attacking midfield position by the end of the year. That's if Sterling continues to develop in that role and Coutinho sorts his shooting out.

Lallana is Joe Allen II for me, can't fault his effort and looks good at times buy ultimately is pretty ineffective and not good enough for us. If we're going into games with a midfield of Henderson, Allen and Lallana at times next year then that's a worry for me. There's a lot of money been spent there however we'll be only fielding a workmanlike midfield.

Everathing you have said here bears absolute nothingness to the regards of this signing.

why? sometimes the club sign players that genuinely excite me at the time. before they've even

played for us. torres, suarez, kewell, mascherano, alonso for example.

other times i'm distinctly underwhelmed or downright distraught ( carroll £35 million).

rickie lambert doesn't get my juices flowing considering the season we've just had. i love being proved wrong though. i genuinely thought henderson would turn out shit. i wasn't enthralled when we bought sturridge. its boss when they turn out to be great players against your expectations. if thats not relevant to this signing then fair fucks mate. i dont give a fuck about being proved right. hopefully he'll win the balon d'or next season and i'll look a cunt. but i'd be made up for him anyway

Reading this thread takes me back to Kenny's summer transfer business. Starts with disbelief at the name of the target and quickly develops into people convincing themselves and others that it's logical followed by it actually being an excellent signing. If it was a late season signing to plug a whole in the squad it'd probabably make sense, but coming within a cunt hair of winning the league with champions league money to spend and players like Suarez to try and impress with your ambitions? Nah, I don't get it.

• Upvote 1