You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burning Question: Rickie Lambert - Are you on board with it?

tlw content

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Why only five starts? He's at the same level of potential as Sterling, can rotate in and out in several positions. Could be a different player even.

If he's dogshit and then scores a goal, I'll take that dogshit. To go for someone like Muriel, we would have to spend 15-20M at least, so I guess we are saving that for a proper forward who can play right, left and centrally. Pedro, Muniain, Alexis, etc. we're all hoping for something like that - is it realistic? Hard to say..

He scored a header from a corner, for most of the match he couldn't find a pass and looked shit technically.

I predict his career here will go like fowlers second coming, he'll score a few goals in meaningless games, it will be a success for sentimental reasons but ultimately it will not have improved the team.

Im just stunned, I literally can see no point in the signing except sentiment or to help the lallana deal.The only other thing would be the home grown rule for cl but Im pretty sure we are covered in that area.

Edit, meant to add skrtel could have gave his England performance and there are players like remy out there for a few million more and we haven't exactly gave the market a chance to develop have we.

Edited by JermainePennant
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He scored a header from a corner, for most of the match he couldn't find a pass and looked shit technically.

I predict his career here will go like fowlers second coming, he'll score a few goals in meaningless games, it will be a success for sentimental reasons but ultimately it will not have improved the team.

Im just stunned, I literally can see no point in the signing except sentiment or to help the lallana deal.The only other thing would be the home grown rule for cl but Im pretty sure we are covered in that area.

Edit, meant to add skrtel could have gave his England performance and there are players like remy out there for a few million more and we haven't exactly gave the market a chance to develop have we.

Sheesh, where to start? How bout where you ended - Remy for a few million more than 4. Erm, no.

As to the dodgy part - it would work the other way fella, we would overpay for Lambert to offset Lallana. 

Sheesh, where to start? How bout where you ended - Remy for a few million more than 4. Erm, no.

As to the dodgy part - it would work the other way fella, we would overpay for Lambert to offset Lallana.

Redknapp said Remy has a clause for slightly higher then they paid for him which was 8m, yes hes in decent wages but hes a top player who could cover all the front 3.

It seems dodgy or maybe Rodgers has fell for what I think Rafa did.

Everyone says lfc fans always love a player who gives a 100%, I thought he seemed to go for those types here over the technical players he dealt with at Valencia and has signed at napoli.

If Lambert was not a scouser who supports lfc we would be nowhere near him and I think everyone can accept that, I want the main reason for us going after players to be because we think they are top quality and can affect games instead of going for the hundred percenters.

• Downvote 1

More than happy with Lambert as an option from the bench. We'll get the fee back moving Aspas on. We'd all love the major targets to be signed and sealed as quickly as possible, but the reality is that those deals tend to be trickier, with players always looking to improve their lot and sometimes taking it to the wire - Willian was sat waiting for his Spurs medical and then fucked off to Chelsea. In a World Cup year there may be more of an incentive to stretch things out - the better they perform the more they can command.

Were his 10 assists in the league all headers too?

Haha, most were flick ons or chest downs actually, not the typical number 9 don't you know.

To mcfly who said he cant take me serious because username is jp, I took that at the time as reading before I joined on tlw particularly they were very harsh on him the summer we were signing him saying he would absolutely shit and get up to all sorts.

I took the name to show a bit of support and said he would keep his head down and be good for us that season which turned out to be right.My username should be a reminder I am right most times on here even when most say the opposite.

This is a similar occasion and there have been others like the xabi-Barry saga and Hodgson, I said exactly what would happen with xabi when a lot wanted him gone and one of only 3 or 4 threads I have started on here was one of first on here criticising hodgson during his first pre season, again I called it exactly how it went after having to deal with fans on here telling me how good a signing konchesky would be.

Edited by JermainePennant
  • Downvote 1

He is what he is. A back up striker. Could have done better but if the money saved in spent on proven quality i.e. not someone else with only a couple of seasons of top level football then it will be worth it.

Only issue for me is the style of play. Will we end up lumping the ball towards him? I hope not.

Lambert for the right price (not more than 5 million) would be a positive addition to the team. The team needs his sort of experience and stability...and frankly I'd rather get a 32 year old Lambert on board than take the sort of shot we took last year with Aspas. 

If we make a marquee signing or two, this deal will look like really smart business. If we end up with Lallana, Lambert, and some no names.....it'll be another shit window. Still a long way to go yet and I'll give the team the benefit of the doubt and assume it's going to be the first of a few solid signings. 

.My username should be a reminder I am right most times on here even when most say the opposite.

you do realise the minute you say something like this people automatically file you in the 'loser' bin.  

You're not the first one to say this today.  The bin's filling up.

I read the paper last night and br was complemented lambert saying he isn't a typical number 9 and scores all sorts.

I watched all his goals from last season on youtube last night and he scored one where he went past and player and the rest were 90% headers or pens, anyone who doesn't believe me look yourself.

I didn't believe you so I looked myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEEufv5aNLw

Sure enough you are talking bobbins.

All kinds of goals in there, and his movement is excellent, he has that striker's knack of being in the right place at the right time.

Having watched his goals and assists on Youtube, I'm even more excited than I was. So cheers for that, at least.

• Upvote 2

you do realise the minute you say something like this people automatically file you in the 'loser' bin.  

You're not the first one to say this today.  The bin's filling up.

Its a joke mate, obviously Im not always right, Im not great at getting sarcasm across on the net but as I have said there has been times on here when most of the forum thought one thing which I disagreed with and a few years later they look completely wrong.

I have had my moments aswell I wont deny it, I thought poulsen would be a good signing for us and there was a time I would have took Carlton cole, that now looks ridiculous.

I didn't believe you so I looked myself:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEEufv5aNLwSure enough you are talking bobbins.All kinds of goals in there, and his movement is excellent, he has that striker's knack of being in the right place at the right time.Having watched his goals and assists on Youtube, I'm even more excited than I was. So cheers for that, at least.

Excellent, JP's morose comments are driving people to actually watch more of Lambert, and increasing the excitement!

Fuck you Jermaine, sleep well.

He is what he is. A back up striker. Could have done better but if the money saved in spent on proven quality i.e. not someone else with only a couple of seasons of top level football then it will be worth it.

Only issue for me is the style of play. Will we end up lumping the ball towards him? I hope not.

If anything a bit of a different option up front could be a good thing in certain games. As good as our attack is, it can get a little one dimensional.....not sure if Lambert is the perfect fit, but I think he'd provide a decent target to change the flow of a game. Also, if we're up by a goal or two it's not a terrible idea to have a striker up front who can slow the game down a little. 

Like you said, it is what it is, and he's a backup striker - just hoping he's a decent one. 

I'm okay with it if its aspas money we are using. But if we have a top signing in negotiating and we lose out over a couple of million I'll be slightly annoyed. Generally we waste a fucking fortune on bit signing players of no use to us at all then talk of having to be smart with transfers on players who would genuinely improve the team.

I'm not even arsed whatever will be, when the window closes then I'll decide if its been a good window or as usual lax and shit. Stay tuned.

I didn't believe you so I looked myself:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEEufv5aNLwSure enough you are talking bobbins.All kinds of goals in there, and his movement is excellent, he has that striker's knack of being in the right place at the right time.Having watched his goals and assists on Youtube, I'm even more excited than I was. So cheers for that, at least.

Are you and funnee on a windup? How was what I said wrong?

The video is all headers, a couple tap ins, and I forgot about his free kicks probably because I know it will be of no use here as he wont get near them, same for pens.

His headers weren't even impressive hes mainly unmarked and free, he got one decent one outside the box but anyone excited by that video must be pissed we sold Carroll because I saw nothing in the video I don't think he can do apart from maybe fks which as I said is pointless anyway.

• Downvote 3