You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burning Question: Rickie Lambert - Are you on board with it?

tlw content

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I've never seen Vietto but would he have had over 20 total goals and assists last year playing for Southampton?

I've no idea, mate.

For the fee you can't go wrong, what does 4 million buy you striker wise between two premier league clubs?

Anichebe - 6 million, Long - 7 million, Jelavic - 8.5 million, Kenwyne Jones - 8 million, Danny Graham - 5 million, Fletcher - 14 million, Crouch - 12 million.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

But he's pretty swish though, right?

I mean, I hear a lot of people talking about him

Vietto? Yeah, he was pretty good last season. Had a bit much on the ol' plate to watch much South American football for a while. What he is though is young and quick and skillful and has buckets of potential. I think he's now at the stages where you look back in 12-24 months time and say 'we missed our chance, we should have got him 12 or 24 months ago'.

I think it's particularly difficult to keep top class strikers on the bench, not matter who you are.

You MIGHT be able to persuade some to sit there for a whopping salary and some notion of 'rotation' (a la City) but it's still a bit of a nightmare keeping them happy.

Nobody's going to shift Suarez (barring injury / suspension), so that's leaves Sturridge + 1 (maybe 2) fighting over that second place (if you even intend to play two up front most of the time).

Yes, it looks a slightly underwhelming signing, but it might be a fairly shrewd one. Teddy Sheringham was deemed an underwhelming signing for United, but he went on to surprise them all.

It makes SOME sense. He's relatively cheap, he's from the area, he's not going to be expecting to billy bigtime upfront, but when he does get a chance to play, he's going to want to go out with a bang.

Whilst I don't rate him anywhere near the level of Kevin Phillips, I think he could have many similar attributes. He knows where the goal is, when push comes to shove and he'll give some welcome cover / relief if ever Rogers needs to rest Suarez or Sturridge.

Can't see many negatives.

My initial reaction was "Rickie fucking Lambert" but after reading through some posts and opinions & having a think about it i've changed my mind.

I'm well on board with this a player for a decent fee who will give his all either as a sub or to cover for injured players. 

Also i didn't realise that his Goal & Assist ratio was so high which is even sweeter.

Vietto? Yeah, he was pretty good last season. Had a bit much on the ol' plate to watch much South American football for a while. What he is though is young and quick and skillful and has buckets of potential. I think he's now at the stages where you look back in 12-24 months time and say 'we missed our chance, we should have got him 12 or 24 months ago'.

Never heard of the guy but paying decent money that would probably eat into our budget for a young forward who might not fit in is risky and something we've been bitten with in the last year or so.

The thing with Lambert is he's costing nothing in today's market and even if he only gets 7 or 8 goals then he'll be worth it. If he doesnt, we wont have lost much and he's on low enough wages. It makes so much sense.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

bit steep at £4m for a 34 year old...

Reminds me of a David Speedie signing back in the day...

Or more recently Charlie Adam for some reason (although in a different position)

But in Brendan we trust....so i'm in!

bit steep at £4m for a 34 year old...

Reminds me of a David Speedie signing back in the day...

Or more recently Charlie Adam for some reason (although in a different position)

But in Brendan we trust....so i'm in!

He's 32.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

aye i stand corrected....thought it was a bit old...! it wa the 4 bit that had me confused!

but yeah....not bad business though by any means

It depends. If we (again) fuck up more important deals while haggling over a couple of million we spent on this one it's a very bad deal.

If it's a bonus in addition to the first team signings we need, then it's fine by me as Lambert offers something else than our other attackers. As well as replacing a couple of completely useless ones.

You think we should've got everyone 12-24 months ago. Usually when they were 12...

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You think we should've got everyone 12-24 months ago.

I don't actually, I want at the time we should be getting them and I say so at the time not a year or two too late. I glossed over the last snarky comment following your misreading of something I said about getting Can, but I don't really see what your issue is. I don't think there's anything wrong with a bit of foresight. I didn't want us to sign players because I was the one that said it, just that I thought, considering we're interested in him now, that we should have signed them when I said it two years ago. Why? Because Can wouldn't have been 12m.

A Rodgers signing all the way, and I'm happy with that. Stick the money ball up your arse, let the manager have last say on transfers.

Rodgers has spoke about a players mental attitude being a big factor in the players he wants at Liverpool. Remember him wanting players who run through brick walls, playing through injury, good attitude etc. His first signing Allen played through a shoulder injury, Lucas said he asked him about Courtinio as a person as he knew all about him as a player, I'd be amazed if Brendan hasn't had positive feedback from our England lads over Lambert and Lallanna.

Its a massive yes from me.

A Rodgers signing all the way, and I'm happy with that. Stick the money ball up your arse, let the manager have last say on transfers.

Rodgers has spoke about a players mental attitude being a big factor in the players he wants at Liverpool. Remember him wanting players who run through brick walls, playing through injury, good attitude etc. His first signing Allen played through a shoulder injury, Lucas said he asked him about Courtinio as a person as he knew all about him as a player, I'd be amazed if Brendan hasn't had positive feedback from our England lads over Lambert and Lallanna.

Its a massive yes from me.

Moneyball all the way - best stat value in the history of transfers.

All you nobs saying Chelsea have this bench and City can bring on this guy. Fair enough but you know fuck all about football and you know even less about elite performance.

Do you think Aguero gives a fuck about City. He cares about his wages and medals but not City. Ask Yaya.

I don't want them people anywhere near our club, that's what makes us different. (Fuck I sound like an Evertonian)

Ricky Lambert, premier league goalscorer, International, 4m where is the problem.

Now its up to him to force his way into the team.

When we signed Molby I was watching him play against Marine in the Liverpool Trophy for 3 months before he played a match for the first team.

• Upvote 1