You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jon Flanagan

Jhinge Machha

A few months ago I felt that in an ideal world our full backs would have to be like converted wingers simply because of the way Rodgers likes to play, with them pushed right up the pitch providing the width.  It was going to be difficult for a bread and butter, orthodox full back to nail down a place.

Thing is now though, we're scoring an absolute shitload of goals with two traditional full backs, who aren't flying past people on mazy dribbles.  Flanno is actually very effective going forward, he just does it in a different way to a Glen Johnson for instance.  I'd back him over a full season to outscore Johnson as he's got a nose for getting in there and has a real adventurous streak, but he won't be dribbling past people the way Johnson can as that's not his game.  He'll overlap, he'll make runs into good areas, but he won't be jinking past people with stepovers.

Cissokho is far more limited going forward but he's been solid defensively of late.  We're scoring so many goals that it's made me think that I've been overstating the importance of the attacking full back.  It's a nice weapon to have, but we can win without it and look at what we did to Everton and Arsenal with Flanagan and Cissokho playing as the full backs.

If Flanno continues playing to the level he has (and there's no reason why he shouldn't), I'd have no qualms about making him our first choice right back for next season.  And I'd like to see Ryan McLaughlin given a chance as the understudy.  If it's a game where we need the full back to be flying forward and beating people, McLaughlin can do that, but more often than not we probably don't need it given how well we've been doing in terms of scoring goals.  

Get Johnson's 120k a week salary off the books and use it to strengthen elsewhere.

I'd hope that Jack Robbo can come back and have a similar impact to Flanagan, but time will tell I suppose.

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'd like the option of a more attacking right back, at least. If we could get somebody like Montoya, just as an example, then get Johnson off the books and still have cover and quality in the position, I'd be all for it.

Have to hold my hand up here and say I was wrong about the lad. I never expected him to come on the way he has. He always seemed to hot headed to me and always looked liked being sent off for a reckless challenge.

What ever happens over the rest of this season,I have to say that a major plus for us has been the emergence of the kid into a genuine first team player.

• Upvote 1

You actually can. Suarez is a good example of a player we bought who possesses both qualities in abundance.

True, but Suarez is a bit of a freak in that regard. He's the kind of player who gives as much in training as he does on a match day. That's just the way he's made.

I'm not saying that you can't get foreign players (or even just non-local players) who aren't very committed, but it's normally a bit of a lottery. It's not something you can scout for unless - as with Suarez - it is pretty obvious.

Kelly needs to play week in week out but no way has he shown more than Flanno, for me. The lad is fucking class

Flanno has shown it over a dozen or so games whereas Kelly had shown it over a few dozen games IMO. Both at similar heights but wrong to say Flanno is the future until he's done it for quite a lot longer. Not being negative but we've all seen purple patches that don't reflect a career- I hope it does though.

Flanno is substance over style. He started excellently under Kenny, had a bit of a fallow period where he wasn't really in the picture but injuries have given the lad a 2nd chance which he has made maximum use of. I am sure BR has got in his head too, as you can see the confidence and desire in his play ( what about his cracker against the spuds?). I am really pleased for him, especially as he just seems like one of us really and I think that's what I like most about him. 

• 1 year later...