You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

He isn't a wing back. Need to get him playing up front with Sturridge.

A couple of weeks back we had pace everywhere now its gone. Ibe has been a big loss in that regard. Sterling can't play that role as well. As we hit the final stretch and having spent over 100 million its mental that probably only Can of the new signings is in our strongest 11.

His form hasn't been great just lately, but even in today's game he played three different positions. The best I've seen him play for us was at the tip of the diamond behind two strikers. He was also starting to look good (at least in terms of movement and threat, if not yet finishing) in the striker role with Sturridge out. We need to get him playing centrally nearer to their goal. He's no wingback, that's for sure.

Rodgers isn't doing Sterling any favours by continuing to play him in a wing-back role. He is rubbish in that role and needs to be playing in attack to get the best out of him.

absolute Bollocks. Sterling isn't doing himself any favours by being a lazy shithouse. As for not signing a £100k a week contract. I would pay him £100 a week the way he's playing. He's believing all the hype
  • Downvote 1

I fucking hate our fans. We lost for the first time in the league this year, and 'fans' are sticking the knife into a 20 year old lad, playing out of position. And their reason? Because he's one of our better players, so he wants the wage to match that. He ended up at LB today, and still looked like one of our better players

Awful yesterday. As much as I rate him, yesterday showed how much he needs to improve to be classed as a really top level player - messi, suarez and aguero could be played as wing backs and still look top class.united's largely mediocre players did a job on him, not the AC Milan defence of 1994.

However, we should move hell and earth to keep him - if we sell him, we look even more like a selling club, rather than a club going places and that impacts on our ability to sign top players.

Sterling is right to get the best deal for himself. Football is a business and LFC wouldn't give two shits about him if he was an ordinary kid from West London, just like they don't every year when loads of local Scousers are told they aren't good enough. That's the name of the game rightly or wrongly.

I think he needs taking out of the limelight for a while again. He looks so shit at the moment it's like watching a different player. It's not like we can't afford to drop him at the moment because he's barely contributing in games.

In answer to the post. How long can we carry sterling. Hopefully for not much longer the shit house cunt. Can't wait to see the back of the gready twat

I think this statement is meant to be read as follows:

I'm pretty much excited at the prospect of standing behind young Raheem, and peering through his legs at a "gready" man twat. Dangling in the Spring air.

• Upvote 1

The same thing happened last year where we had some rather obviously flagging players especially in second halves of games, despite no fixture congestion issues. Perhaps a combination of shit purchases that Rodgers didn't want to ever rotate the squad with, and a general lack of experience of the pressure for most of the squad. I thought they did really well considering, only losing a few points on the run-in, and three of them to Chelsea.

Sterling's form this year was very good after the summer break and after his Christmas break and then has been used for 90 minutes in practically every game since to the point of non-effect which I don't really understand, even less so given he has only just turned 20. Do the sports science people not see any downturn in his performances?

• Upvote 1

absolute Bollocks. Sterling isn't doing himself any favours by being a lazy shithouse. As for not signing a £100k a week contract. I would pay him £100 a week the way he's playing. He's believing all the hype

Are you serious? We've been through this before. Sterling has always been crap in a defensive role. When Rodgers moved him further up the pitch in a purely attacking role, he excelled.

I'm not saying we should submit to whatever silly salary demands he's making but I don't think it's fair to judge his performances when he's not being played in his most effective position.

Put Coutinho and Sturridge in wing-back positions and I guarantee they will also look hopeless.

Sterling was one of the few players to step up during our awful first few months of the season. In fact, they'd have been a damn sight more awful if it hadn't been for him. His goals and performances in an unfamiliar striker position were a big part of turning our form and results around. He was making a difference when other, more experienced players simply were not.

Still, don't let that get in the way of slagging him off for a couple of recent poor displays. We know that young players never lose form ever, so it must simply be because he's asking for a load of money and not trying. 

If I was Sterling, I'd fuck you moaning bastards right off and join a club where the fans would appreciate your efforts over the whole season and not jump on your back at the first chance. Except that club doesn't exist, so he should deffo stay here and get moaned at.

• Upvote 2

The same thing happened last year where we had some rather obviously flagging players especially in second halves of games, despite no fixture congestion issues. Perhaps a combination of shit purchases that Rodgers didn't want to ever rotate the squad with, and a general lack of experience of the pressure for most of the squad. I thought they did really well considering, only losing a few points on the run-in, and three of them to Chelsea.

Sterling's form this year was very good after the summer break and after his Christmas break and then has been used for 90 minutes in practically every game since to the point of non-effect which I don't really understand, even less so given he has only just turned 20. Do the sports science people not see any downturn in his performances?

A very good post.

Sterling did much to carry us to a position at Christmas where we could start firing again. It is not his fault that his boss spent tens of millions on attacking options in Lallana, Lambert and Supermario that have flopped leaving the weight of expectation on him.

He was fantastic after he'd returned from his break, but it's the move to wing back which has seen a drop off in his effectiveness. I doubt we'd be seeing him there if Ibe was fit. He'd have been in the role Lallana was yesterday. I just wonder if we shouldn't be using Manquillo as a makeshift wingback and putting Sterling back into a more central position.