You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Simon Mignolet

He already looks a vast improvement on what Pepe had become.

I've a rather cynical view on the motivation for Pepe's improvement in the second last season, I think it was as much a wave towards the Nou Camp as anything else. Christ knows how he would have started this season for us after his advances were spurned.

His fresh start at Napoli should hopefully be good for him and us, whether he returns or in dictating his market value. That said, he should have done better on both Chievo goals in Napoli's 4-2 win yesterday. He still looks like a doorman rather than an athlete/goalkeeper.

Guest San Don
Still don't trust him on crosses, but he's the best shot stopper in the league.

Yeah, like he's been here for 3 pl games and you're spouting shte about 'still not trusting him' on crosses!?

Fucking lunacy.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
That penalty save is my favourite moment in a long time. Especially the instant celebrations then reorganization.

YEEEEEEE...

rebound

clearance

AAAAAA

Corner

clearance

EEEEESSSSSSS

• 2 weeks later...

As I've just posted on Fb, I can't help thinking that he'd have to make fewer dramatic saves if he would actually pass the ball to a team-mate once in a while.  His distribution is absolutely woeful: no outfield player would be forgiven for giving the ball away so consistently.

Still, I'm sure he knows it's something he needs to work on and I'm hopeful/confident he will improve.

He aimlessly hoofs the ball up the park every time which is annoying given that BR wants to play out from the back. He's well able to make up for it with other more important aspects of his game though so no issues there. He's going to be a great keeper for us if he isn't already.

A mix of him and Pepe would be the ideal keeper!

Guest Numero Veinticinco

That is the only issue with him isn't it? apart from that hes top class.

Seeing Coutinho 'competing' for headers from his punts upfield is just plain wrong and needs to stop.

We'd be saying the same thing if Begovic, Courtois, or almost any good keeper in Europe had joined instead. The amount of keepers who can ping 40 yard balls to feet can be counted on one finger. Don't get me wrong, his long distribution is average. Playing short is fine, and I think he was better last night (statistically, he was) but when he's playing long we're looking at around 50/50 chance of it finding its target, where as Pepe was 70-75%, which is amazing.

I'd much sooner him just play it shorter, but we're not giving him very many options. There's definitely 'stuff' to work on throughout the entire team, and his long passing is one of them. For now, I'm just more than happy that he's proving to be decent at keeping it out of the net.

• Upvote 1

We'd be saying the same thing if Begovic, Courtois, or almost any good keeper in Europe had joined instead. The amount of keepers who can ping 40 yard balls to feet can be counted on one finger. Don't get me wrong, his long distribution is average. Playing short is fine, and I think he was better last night (statistically, he was) but when he's playing long we're looking at around 50/50 chance of it finding its target, where as Pepe was 70-75%, which is amazing.

I'd much sooner him just play it shorter, but we're not giving him very many options. There's definitely 'stuff' to work on throughout the entire team, and his long passing is one of them. For now, I'm just more than happy that he's proving to be decent at keeping it out of the net.

To be fair we seem to look to get someone just on the touchline just inside the half way line so he can ping a pass and give him an option and he done that allright most of the time but those punts straight down the pitch are in no way 50-50, its pretty much donating possesion back everytime.

Pepe was a bit of a freak distribution wise for sure, its an unfair comparison to make but Mignolet has to do better than punting it up to our 5'6 players, im sure he will get better, its a bit nit picky but it is quite an obvious flaw that can't help but be noticed, other than that he looks top class.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

To be fair we seem to look to get someone just on the touchline just inside the half way line so he can ping a pass and give him an option and he done that allright most of the time but those punts straight down the pitch are in no way 50-50, its pretty much donating possesion back everytime.

I don't agree with that. His average pass distance was almost 50 yards yesterday, and he hit 50% pass completion. He did pick out some wide players for passes.

I do agree about the distribution, but it's not like he's just slamming it back to them every time, even if that did happen on some occasions. It's frustrating, especially after having Pepe, but it's not unusual for keepers all over Europe to do it.

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe 3m

18 - Liverpool's Simon Mignolet has made more saves than any other Premier League goalkeeper this season. Margins.

Surprised by that to be honest.  Not because he hasn't been great, more that I thought lower teams would be facing far more shots at goal.  Especially when we've only played one good team.