You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Borini be sold in the summer?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Should Borini be sold in the summer?

• Yes - He's not good enough, cut our losses.
    • No - He deserves more time and did well when used.

Guest ShoePiss
‎I've seen some pricks in my time, but you sir, are a fucking cactus!

Speak to someone else, you're a fucking weird tit.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As several have said, it would depend on the offer.

I'm no financial expert and not knowing his wages it's difficult to say for sure, but for an offer in the vicinity of what we paid I'd probably wish him good luck. If we are only getting offers of a few million then I'd leave him be and see what happens next season. We're going to need some depth there, after all, and he's only a young lad still.

I really don't understand how he gets tagged as putting in the effort. He's static when we've got the ball, Gerrard bollocked him more than a few times for this early on in the season, and he has to be pointed in the right direction by others when closing down.

Get whatever we can for him.

Not the same. Jovanovic was obviously not going to improve much as he was about fuck knows how old and wasn't he signed prior to 2 successive managers coming in anyway? This manager rates Borini' date=' a young player, maybe he's wrong, but it's got nothing in common with thw Jovanovic situation[/quote']

Shite is shite and you know it when you see it. In other words: everything in common.

No. Needs more time.

Just because Sturridge has come in and slotted straight in doesn't mean every football can.

With time and patience I think Borini will come good, Rodgers has dipped in the pool twice so obviously he sees something in the kid that he likes.

[CLICHÉ]He'll be like a new signing in the summer.[/CHICHÉ]

It's very rare that any team signs a player, where it takes them a full year to become truly excellent. Ok they might become less shit, but definitely not world class. I don't know about you lads, but I expect world class from our strikers, it's how you win games.

Fair enough the lad has had injury trouble,I know that's bad luck. But if there's one thing we can all agree on, it's he isn't world class. I'd sell him.

So you've never changed your mind on a player?

Hehe, fair point - last one was Sturridge who I'd not been impressed by before he arrived. Still, I was able to acknowledge that he had some qualities (speed and dribbling ability) also before he arrived. I fail to see that in Borini, like with Shelvey, I really struggle to see what he's supposed to be good at.

He's not got more than average pace, poor technical ability, not a fantastic finisher, no physical presence. He seems to be running a lot, I'll give him that, but you kinda ought to have more going for you to play in our team.

I'd get rid. He won't get too many opportunities now we've got Sturridge and Coutinho and he's not done much to suggest he can offer much besides getting into good positions and then not scoring. He's like Inzaghi without the goals.

It's not obvious that he's "fucking garbage". Yes, he's been pretty shit, but then wasn't Henderson pretty shit last season? I see a lot of parallels between these two. Not that Borini has an effect on Henderson or vice versa but it at least shows that you can't lways jump to conclusions with young players in the first season at a big club like this. Confidence is a major factor.

Seriously? If we are reduced to deciding whether Borini is "fucking garbage" or just "pretty shit" then it must be time for him to see alternative employment opportunities.

In answer to the second part, IMO Henderson was "fucking garbage" last season if we are using the same scale of measurement. He has been one step up from "pretty shit" this season. If someone offered £16m for him I would snatch their hand off.

Jovanovic only had 10 league starts - we sold him.

Poulsen had 12 league starts - we sold him.

Paletta had 3 league starts - we sold him.

Kromkamp had 14 league starts - we sold him.

Leto had 0 league starts - we sold him.

I could go on...

Please don't.

The first two players were bought by one manager, then sold by another who didn't fancy them.

Paletta was signed as a youngster to see if he could make the grade. After 18 months he hadn't found his way into the first team, so he was sold on at a profit.

Jan Kromkamp was a stopgap in a position (cover for Steve Finnan) that was not the number one priority in squad strengthening. He was a bit better than his predecessor, but not good enough to be first choice: hence, his (and Finnan's) replacement by Arbeloa.

Sebastian Leto was signed as a youngster to see if he could make the grade. He could barely get a game because of passport problems. With Ryan Babel and Albert Riera competing for the left side, there was no place for him anyway, so he was loaned out and then sold on for a profit.

This thread is proposing something completely different altogether. This thread is asking whether it's a good idea that the manager should sell a young player, who he bought, who has struggled with injury and has thus only had limited time to adapt to a new league in a new country, in a team still developing a new style. As such a sale would be at a significant loss, the question this thread asks is "Is Borini a write-off?"

It's a preposterous question. There was a time I would have called it a question unbecoming of Liverpool fans, but I've seen too much of this sort of nobheaddery to be surprised any more.

It's a preposterous question. There was a time I would have called it a question unbecoming of Liverpool fans, but I've seen too much of this sort of nobheaddery to be surprised any more.

Wages and transfer fee combined I think Borini and Jovanovic are fair to comapare. Which makes sense when you look at their ability, I guess, quite similar. Call it "nobheaddery" if you like, but answer this: What is Borini supposed to be good at?

Edit: I think you should answer this rather than neg me for it to be honest.

The lad has only started 9 games and made 6 sub appearances.

Fucking hell, give him a chance.

I agree. He's young and has the talents to become a good player for us.

But, if we're not in the Europa league I would be half tempted to sell him, Carroll and Downing and go buy someone really really good to start with Suarez and Sturridge and with the money left over, a back up striker for the bench, preferably someone with a bit of experience.

Obviously other areas of the team need strengthening too/first, that's a given, but another 20 goal-a-season man, with another 10-15 from the bench wouldn't go amiss. Would certainly help out CL hopes.