You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Assuming our business is done it has been an okay window but nothing more and I would still like to see more commitment from FSG as far as backing their man is concerned. The failure to add proven quality to the attack is disappointing. Aspas has started slowly, Luis Alberto is inexperienced and Moses, whilst a welcome addition in my eyes, is merely a loan signing.

I'm pleased with the reinforcements in defence but again there is some doubt over the long term impact of players like Toure and Cissokho. Ilori is inexperienced at the highest level, it would seem, but Sakho would appear to be a good capture.

I appreciate there are financial constraints and we have to be creative in the market to build the squad, but I'd like to have seen more ambition from FSG. Overall Rodgers is working with a limited budget compared to his rivals, and appears to have less of a final say (or no say at all?), but to his credit he is coping admirably.

Conclusion: a mixed bag. Only time will tell whether it has been sufficient to improve or if we're standing still.

Some will of course go the other way and get a good contract with in the top flight but there's a lot of players outside the premier league who don't earn that much more than Joe Public.

I read that when Neil Mellor went to Preston he was on 10 grand a week mind you they where in the championship at the time

I'm underwhelmed with our window. Some decent players in, nothing that will help us a great deal in the top 3rd except for kolo on set pieces. If we're to make top 4 it will because of Rodgers rather than any backing from his board. Really surprised skrtel didn't leave. I assume they're expecting more interest in January as he won't be European cup tied.

------------Mignolet-----------------

Johnson---Sakho---Agger----Enrique

-----------Lucas--Gerrard-----------

Henderson------Suarez-------Coutinho

----------------Sturridge-------------

other options

Jones

Kelly

Wisdom

Toure

Skrtel

Ilori

Cissokho

Allen

Alberto

Sterling

Ibe

Moses

Aspas

baring in mind a fair few of them are versatile so even though we don't have all that many numbers, I think we're a lot stronger than we were

Assuming our business is done it has been an okay window but nothing more and I would still like to see more commitment from FSG as far as backing their man is concerned. The failure to add proven quality to the attack is disappointing. Aspas has started slowly, Luis Alberto is inexperienced and Moses, whilst a welcome addition in my eyes, is merely a loan signing.

I'm pleased with the reinforcements in defence but again there is some doubt over the long term impact of players like Toure and Cissokho. Ilori is inexperienced at the highest level, it would seem, but Sakho would appear to be a good capture.

I appreciate there are financial constraints and we have to be creative in the market to build the squad, but I'd like to have seen more ambition from FSG. Overall Rodgers is working with a limited budget compared to his rivals, and appears to have less of a final say (or no say at all?), but to his credit he is coping admirably.

Conclusion: a mixed bag. Only time will tell whether it has been sufficient to improve or if we're standing still.

I agree with that pretty much.

We'll only really know whether Ilori and Alberto were good signings in 3 or 4 years.

The average is £200k a year for a championship player. That's not actually that much when you consider the relatively short career players have and taking in to account a lot of players will drop down to leagues 1 and 2 when they got older. Plus half of that disappears in tax.

Some will of course go the other way and get a good contract with in the top flight but there's a lot of players outside the premier league who don't earn that much more than Joe Public.

The Bury manager was on 5 live today and said that a few of the players he has signed this summer are on between £200 and £300 a week.

I think if Rodgers gets top 4 he'd be a miracle worker. Even code would have to doth his cap. Pleased with sakho signing and I do think Moses will be a good addition. Toure is decent too and is gonna be a huge cult figure. The rest are pretty much same same but better value for wages. Not too sure I'd of loaned out borini I but I suppose Moses can play in that position if Sturridge gets injured aswell as Suarez.

I'm hoping they will strengthen the squad further in the next January window as required. They've done well for us so far and I cannot blame them for rational spending given we're determined to keep our finances above water.

It seems to me that we couldn't find the attacking signing to strengthen us, so we sorted out the defence. I think we are very strong at the back now. Up front we have looked very good since Coutinho and Sturridge were signed, and along with Suarez and the addition of Moses, we should have enough to challenge for fourth. Midfield is a touch concerning, as ideally I'd have liked to have seen one more, but overall I think the squad, and the first team, is now better than last season.

We've made a good start to the season. Let's keep it going and we will see what happens.

Come on you reds!

It seems to me that we couldn't find the attacking signing to strengthen us, so we sorted out the defence. I think we are very strong at the back now. Up front we have looked very good since Coutinho and Sturridge were signed, and along with Suarez and the addition of Moses, we should have enough to challenge for fourth. Midfield is a touch concerning, as ideally I'd have liked to have seen one more, but overall I think the squad, and the first team, is now better than last season.

We've made a good start to the season. Let's keep it going and we will see what happens.

Come on you reds!

I agree - I think that in a transfer window characterized by insane prices for players, the owners, board and manager have strengthened the squad, stiffened the heart of our defence and upgraded in the moving On of Downing.

I also think that we have not paid quite enough attention to the youth purchased and I am impressed with the acquisition of Ilori and the boy from Madrid - our youth set up looks really strong. Consider who is 20-21 on this team.

Come on you reds!

I agree - I think that in a transfer window characterized by insane prices for players, the owners, board and manager have strengthened the squad, stiffened the heart of our defence and upgraded in the moving On of Downing.

I also think that we have not paid quite enough attention to the youth purchased and I am impressed with the acquisition of Ilori and the boy from Madrid - our youth set up looks really strong. Consider who is 20-21 on this team.

Agree with all of this, if we had got the Armenian it would of been near on perfect but we have to wait a bit longer for that top class attacking player, i'ld much rather wait than go and spunk money on shit like we done before, its not like were desperate up top, Suarez, Coutinho and Sturridge are a lethal trio and as good if not better than anything in the league.

Say 40 league goals between Sturridge and Suarez, 6 for Coutinho and Gerrard, thats 50 plus without all the others chipping in, we will be fine if we avoid injuries to key players.

I think we'll do it, our forms been good for a long time now, every game is big this season.

Net spend of about £15-18m (depending on the true price paid for Sakho) with 8 players in plus a good few youth players.

A much strengthened defence and better options up front.

No real investment in the midfield.

It's a decent outcome to the window but I hope there is more left in the kitty for some business to be done in January.

Happy enough with what we have bought. If we can't get the right attacking players in, then wait till January. Being a World Cup year will probably mean that players will be more inclined to come if they aren't getting playing time at their clubs and they want to make a push for their international squads. Also, if come January, we are competing for a top 4 spot then we have something to sell to the better players rather than the project we are trying to sell to them now.

I think that keeping Suarez may be the biggest piece of business we have done this summer. Also, we have now shipped out the last of the dead wood. The squad is clear to get in actual reinforcements without the worry of having to ship out the unwanted players like Spearing, Shelvey, Downing and Carroll.

Carry on the form we have shown since January. Be in the mix, then buy the players to make that push. That's the aim for me.

Buy all the best players, loan them out to rivals, when that team plays you they are weakened by not having one of their best players, quite a simple way to buy points really.

It's definitely design rather than accident from Chelsea, and most other clubs do it too. That you can stockpile utterly superb footballers like Lukaku that cost huge transfer fees and then loan them out to play against your rivals every week but not against you is bonkers. Is anyone in charge at the FA/Premier League or are they too busy creaming it off to simply change the rule to stop loans to clubs in the same division? That Chelsea were even discussing the Ba loan to Arsenal tells you what they think of their title challenging threat.

------------Mignolet-----------------

Johnson---Sakho---Agger----Enrique

-----------Lucas--Gerrard-----------

Henderson------Suarez-------Coutinho

----------------Sturridge-------------

other options

Jones

Kelly

Wisdom

Toure

Skrtel

Ilori

Cissokho

Allen

Alberto

Sterling

Ibe

Moses

Aspas

baring in mind a fair few of them are versatile so even though we don't have all that many numbers, I think we're a lot stronger than we were

I am more than happy with that for a squad. Far more options than in previous seasons and massively re-enforced at the back. Considering the amount of goals we scored after Sturridge and Coutinho came in, im surprised people are questioning our offensive signings. Adding Aspas, Moses and Alberto to what we already had is perfectly acceptable for me.

If Sturridge is unavailable then Suarez is pushed to the CF role and one of the others comes into his previous position. We now have a group of players who can cover multiple roles giving us far more depth and options.

For the first time in a long while, I can say well done LFC. Great business. 3 years ago we were signing Konchesky and Poulsen. Short memories some of you lot. Well pleased with things.

Keeper looks good so far.

The defence in particular looks very good short and long term (not having seen Ilori and Sakho in action of course).

Midfield looks fairly good. I wouldn't have complained with another one but if you think that in some games we'll play a front 4 of Suarez, Sturridge, Moses and Coutinho, then there's 4 good to very good players for 2 positions.

Attacking, I'm a bit disappointed we let Borini go and didn't bring anyone else in. Would have preferred permanent deal for Moses too or option to buy as I think he'll do really well here and we'll end up buying him. Aspas looks a bit ropey but I have faith, as always, until he's proven garbage beyond doubt.

Overall, I'd give the window a 7/10.

The thing that I especially like about us at the minute is that we have a squad of young, hungry players who seem to like playing for this young hungry manager. Time will tell how it pans out.

It's definitely design rather than accident from Chelsea, and most other clubs do it too. That you can stockpile utterly superb footballers like Lukaku that cost huge transfer fees and then loan them out to play against your rivals every week but not against you is bonkers. Is anyone in charge at the FA/Premier League or are they too busy creaming it off to simply change the rule to stop loans to clubs in the same division? That Chelsea were even discussing the Ba loan to Arsenal tells you what they think of their title challenging threat.

Which is fine, but, the flaw is that Lukaku is arguably the best striker Chelsea have