You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Ozil at £40m is madness even by the standards of the current market.

He was bought for £8m (not long left on his contract) but he has done nothing to suggest he is in the same league as those players costing £40m +

Nothing. Nothing at all.

Well, apart from 87 assists in the last three years.

I admit that I was gullible and was sold on the talk of 'competition' for the goalkeeping spot between Reina and £9M Mignolet. We then sent Reina out on loan (presumably because we couldn't sell him). If it's around £16-18M for Sakho, is he to be considered competition for either Skrtel or Agger? I'm worried that we're trying to sell one of those two, and I think Agger would have the bigger price tag of the pair.

I admit that I was gullible and was sold on the talk of 'competition' for the goalkeeping spot between Reina and £9M Mignolet. We then sent Reina out on loan (presumably because we couldn't sell him). If it's around £16-18M for Sakho, is he to be considered competition for either Skrtel or Agger? I'm worried that we're trying to sell one of those two, and I think Agger would have the bigger price tag of the pair.

There is absolutely no chance of us selling Agger.

Ill be surprised if Skrtel is here after tomorrow. Having 5 players for 2 positions is a bit much, that's before you include Coates and the other young lads aswell

I am fucking hoping beyond hope we bring in another forward (as well as Moses). I can't be bothered ranting at how ridiculous it is that we seem to have nobody coming in, I'm just going to sit here and hope.

Borini, gone or not, is never good enough for us. Aspas is playing out like I thought it would - a decent backup, and a better one than Borini, but not much more. That leaves us banking on Sturridge (often gets niggles), Suarez (may down tools, leave in Jan), Coutinho (still young and doesn't lead the line) and Moses.

We need somebody else who can get us goals this season, either in place of Sturridge or to play beside him on the left/right.

I am fucking hoping beyond hope we bring in another forward (as well as Moses). I can't be bothered ranting at how ridiculous it is that we seem to have nobody coming in, I'm just going to sit here and hope.

Borini, gone or not, is never good enough for us. Aspas is playing out like I thought it would - a decent backup, and a better one than Borini, but not much more. That leaves us banking on Sturridge (often gets niggles), Suarez (may down tools, leave in Jan), Coutinho (still young and doesn't lead the line) and Moses.

We need somebody else who can get us goals this season, either in place of Sturridge or to play beside him on the left/right.

Don't agree, personally.

Coutinho - Sturridge - Suarez has plenty of goals and is in fact one of the best forward lines in the league. Behind them it's obviously not as good, but given the prices that were being discussed for good-but-not-great players like Willian and Costa I'm not exactly devastated.

Aspas, Sterling, and Moses are very capable backups. Behind them Ibe and Alberto will get minutes here and there as well. It's not a super-deep squad, but without Europe we hardly need it to be.

I think we'll look to improve on this area in January, when hopefully we can find a decent price on a good attacking player, but I'm actually OK with our squad until then. Especially when the alternative was spunking so much on the player in question that we would have been unable to sort out our defense for the long term with Ilori and Sakho.

I think Aspas is just feeling his way into the league and will come good. I suppose that depends on whether or not he gets dropped for Moses though as originally I thought Henderson would be dropped for whatever winger we got in but he deserves to play based on current form. He couldn't get into this game at all but he's shown promise in others despite not scoring. Ultimately though I think perhaps he's better employed more centrally than wide (I know our fullbacks provide the true width but he still generally plays further right than he would in a front 2 for example).

That said I'd love to see what you're asking for, but I don't think it's going to happen this window.

Don't agree, personally.

Coutinho - Sturridge - Suarez has plenty of goals and is in fact one of the best forward lines in the league...

It's a good forward line but I, like most on here it seems, feel Coutinho is better when deployed centrally behind the front three. There's arguably more space there for what he does best, he's got pace sure but he's not really a "leave his man for dead" type player. His quickness and agility with the ball are among his best attributes and obviously his eye for a pass will have a wider range of vision centrally than on either side of the pitch. It's because of this that I think starting him next to sidelines is less than ideal.

Don't agree, personally.

Coutinho - Sturridge - Suarez has plenty of goals and is in fact one of the best forward lines in the league. Behind them it's obviously not as good, but given the prices that were being discussed for good-but-not-great players like Willian and Costa I'm not exactly devastated.

Aspas, Sterling, and Moses are very capable backups. Behind them Ibe and Alberto will get minutes here and there as well. It's not a super-deep squad, but without Europe we hardly need it to be.

I think we'll look to improve on this area in January, when hopefully we can find a decent price on a good attacking player, but I'm actually OK with our squad until then. Especially when the alternative was spunking so much on the player in question that we would have been unable to sort out our defense for the long term with Ilori and Sakho.

Im really excited for those three to flourish this year but honestly, I just don't see Coutinho being as effective as he can playing out on the left. As the manager has said before, he needs to be more central to be effective.

I just don't see how we can afford to let Borini go and not bring in a striker. I think the manager agrees too and its why we've been after somebody all summer.

I dont think things are doom and gloom if we don't bring somebody in, but I do think heads need to roll and things need to be shaken up if thats the case. Im dumbfounded as to what our scouts have been doing all summer, because there are plenty of players we could buy who would improve us.

Lets see how it plays out I guess!

I think Aspas is just feeling his way into the league and will come good. I suppose that depends on whether or not he gets dropped for Moses though as originally I thought Henderson would be dropped for whatever winger we got in but he deserves to play based on current form. He couldn't get into this game at all but he's shown promise in others despite not scoring. Ultimately though I think perhaps he's better employed more centrally than wide (I know our fullbacks provide the true width but he still generally plays further right than he would in a front 2 for example).

That said I'd love to see what you're asking for, but I don't think it's going to happen this window.

Yeah that is fair - as I said I think he'll be a decent backup. I don't think he'll pull up any trees, but he'll chip in with a few goals hopefully.

I don't either to be honest. If we did though we'd really be challenging this year and it would push us on just that little bit more. Henderson and Aspas have great industry but another match winner will help us nick more of these 1-0 wins.

Ozil is a great player, worth £40M IMO. Real are mad to let him go. It wouldn't surprise me if United or Chelsea come in for him too. United need a player of his type and quality, whereas Chelsea just like buying top players to stop them going to rivals.

If Real are serious about Suarez we should probably think about an exchange + cash deal involving Ozil.

Ozil + £20M for Suarez, I'd take it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
John Cross: "I'm hearing Mesut Ozil is agreed and done to Arsenal as a permanent deal."

Bollocks.

I like him a lot, but I'd much sooner he went to Arsenal than United. He's not really what Arsenal need, so that's a bonus.