You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

I know it's early but lets be honest, we don't have much to play for and this summer is fucking important.

BBC Sport gossip column linking us with Croatian defender Dejan Lovren who plays for Lyon. Not a big watcher of the french league but he has looked decent the few times i've seen him for Croatia. anyone know much? The story comes from the mail....

also - being reported that Di Maria is going to be touted. I'd love us to have a chance with him. he looks weird as fuck but along with Ozil, I think he is vastly underrated.

I know it's early but lets be honest, we don't have much to play for and this summer is fucking important.

BBC Sport gossip column linking us with Croatian defender Dejan Lovren who plays for Lyon. Not a big watcher of the french league but he has looked decent the few times i've seen him for Croatia. anyone know much? The story comes from the mail....

also - being reported that Di Maria is going to be touted. I'd love us to have a chance with him. he looks weird as fuck but along with Ozil, I think he is vastly underrated.

Honestly, from what I've seen of him, he looks far from under-rated, rather grossly average. I think Ozil's talent is rightly much more respected.

I think this is going to be a huge summer for us

Pepe

Skrtel

Coates

Spearing

Assaidi

Pacheco

Carroll

all of the above will be sold in my opinion with Carra retiring leaving us with a squad of

Jones

Johnson

Kelly

Wisdom

Agger

Enrique

Robinson

Stevie

Lucas

Henderson

Allen

Shelvey

Coutinho

Downing

Suso

Sterling

Suarez

Sturridge

Borini

so that makes a new (quality) keeper a necessity, at least two centre backs preferably 3 depending on if Kelly or Wisdom moves across, a left back depending on whether the gaffer thinks Robinson is ready to be immediate back up to Enrique, a centre midfielder would be useful, I reckon we will see how Coutinho does before deciding on another winger/wide forward but Suso and Sterling should be even better next year and another striker wouldn't go amiss and thats based on my belief Borini will come good, if he doesn't we need two.

we really need to get it right this time round, I think Brendan knows what he is doing and thinking about what changes we need to make in the summer really shows how hard a job he has had on his hands but its a big one in terms of the long term future of the club, I reckon Suarez will stay but if we're shit next season we have no chance of keeping him and others

This summer for me will be defined as much by who goes as who arrives.

Will we cash in our chips with Reina? What happens to Big Andy? Do we cut our losses with Borini? Has Downing redeemed himself? Is Skrts/Agger our central pairing of choice? If not will one be allowed to go?

Id shift Skrtel on if we had a quality replacement lined up, same as Pepe although I would rather keep him. We must keep Agger and Suarez . We should buy another CF, borini isnt good enough yet in my opinion.

If we can sort out our fucking defence, and bring in some cover +1 quality experienced attacking player we can challenge for anything next season. I think that we are not that far from being a very, very good side. I would pick our squad, at the minute ahead of Arsenal and Spurs....they just dont fuck up as much as us thats all.

I'd get rid of Jones, Downing, Pacheco, Carroll, and Spearing in the summer. There are a few others I'd consider selling, but we bought them all last summer so it seems unlikely we will.

We need a left footed, right forward, that scores loads of goals. His name is Yarmolenko. Brendan knows this, I've emailed him enough times.

Need a young keeper to challenge Pepe. I'd have him playing in all the cup competitions as well.

Competition for Enrique at left back is probably also required. Not too bothered about signing a young player because I think Robinson (and the collection of even younger left backs at the club) have a good chance of making it.

Happy enough with the centrebacks. Agger and Skrtel first choice. Coates playing against the hoofers. Kelly and Wisdom to be blooded in the cups in that position.

Right backs are sorted.

Could do with some back up for Lucas. They don't even need to be an enormous African shithouse cunt. Just someone who knows how to play as a holding midfielder.

One more forward.

The League is ours.

This summer for me will be defined as much by who goes as who arrives.

Will we cash in our chips with Reina? What happens to Big Andy? Do we cut our losses with Borini? Has Downing redeemed himself? Is Skrts/Agger our central pairing of choice? If not will one be allowed to go?

I'd say Rodgers will let all the above go at the right price, maybe not Agger but without doubt he'll let the others go

I think we should definitely try to keep hold of Reina. I'd also play him in every game he's fit, i.e. all cup games, to keep him sharp. I think a keeper suffers when the defence in front of him changes from week to week, so less rotation of defenders please. (have we managed to play 3 games on the bounce using the same back four yet this season?)

In the summer, buy a defensive midfield player, replace Downing with someone who can score/assist, sell Borini and Carroll and buy a goal scoring machine.

Nimps.

Happy enough with the centrebacks. Agger and Skrtel first choice. Coates playing against the hoofers. Kelly and Wisdom to be blooded in the cups in that position.

I think that is our biggest priority in the summer, getting a top class centre back to partner Agger.

We haven't replaced Hyypia and still look vulnerable in the air at set plays IMO.

I agree with Wisdom / Kelly as options. I am not convinced by Coates at all, don't rate him.

Dont get your hopes up too much. We are being linked with players the likes of swansea (oh what a surprise!) and sunderland are looking at, according to the wail.

Our targets?

fucking hell efi ambrose??? he was wank against juve. come back and scored a goal in both games since but he is not anywhere near good enough for us.

wanyama and hooper however....

I think that is our biggest priority in the summer, getting a top class centre back to partner Agger.

We haven't replaced Hyypia and still look vulnerable in the air at set plays IMO.

I agree with Wisdom / Kelly as options. I am not convinced by Coates at all, don't rate him.

I think most people are far too quick to right off centrebacks. Their mistakes are usually far more crucial than that of the forwards, or midfielders. That doesn't make them easy to replace.

The chances of us finding the next Sami Hyypia are slim.

The problems with our defence are more to do with coaching and management, in my opinion. These same players had the third best defence in the league last season, when we finished 8th.

I can understand Coates going if Rodgers feels he wants centrebacks with a bit more pace. I couldn't understand Skrtel or Agger leaving unless they wanted to move to a club playing Champions League football. Its no surprise they've been linked with Manchester City and Barcelona, respectively.

The problems with our defence are more to do with coaching and management, in my opinion. These same players had the third best defence in the league last season, when we finished 8th.

Not writing off Skrtel or Agger, I certainly would sell both of them. But as a partnership they haven't delivered this season. We have conceded too many goals, especially goals at set plays and the centre backs haven't tracked their men or been dominant in that area.

I can't see the manager altering his approach to the way we play anytime soon.

Not writing off Skrtel or Agger, I certainly would sell both of them. But as a partnership they haven't delivered this season. We have conceded too many goals, especially goals at set plays and the centre backs haven't tracked their men or been dominant in that area.

I can't see the manager altering his approach to the way we play anytime soon.

I know you aren't. You're writing off Coates. Plenty of other posters would happily sell Agger and/or Skrtel as well.

If the manager doesn't change his approach we'll continue shipping goals and people will, incorrectly, keep blaming excellent defenders.

keeping Reina is more of a risk than selling him imo

It is very hard to find a good keeper.

Reina has proven he can be a brilliant keeper, his golden gloves show that.

He has had a poor two season's by his standards (Gerrard had a poor couple of season's before this one, by his standards as well). I think the stats after the mistake vs City showed he has cost us 8 goals in the last two season's. Too many but not a massive amount, I think Hart for example must have made a similar amount.

Reina despite not making as many saves and too many mistakes in that time, has still always been brilliant with his feet and that is crucial to the way we play.

I think the City mistakes a few weeks ago, which was just a poor decision and that is rare for Reina to make a mistake like that, was a blip and he has actually been in very good form the last few months, making some very good saves.

Add to that his character, his presence in the dressing room - I think it would be a big loss.

I think he is a still a top keeper personally.

I know you aren't. You're writing off Coates. Plenty of other posters would happily sell Agger and/or Skrtel as well.

If the manager doesn't change his approach we'll continue shipping goals and people will, incorrectly, keep blaming excellent defenders.

I am writing off Coates, yeah I just don't see it with him.

The goals which have hurt us most have been ones which the system isn't an issue. Centre backs losing headers at set plays or not tracking their runners. Doesn't matter what system we play the players need to win that battle.

Agger in the last few weeks has been awful at tracking his man.

I am writing off Coates, yeah I just don't see it with him.

The goals which have hurt us most have been ones which the system isn't an issue. Centre backs losing headers at set plays or not tracking their runners. Doesn't matter what system we play the players need to win that battle.

Agger in the last few weeks has been awful at tracking his man.

Fair to say I disagree with every single word you've written, don't think we're going to find any common ground here.