You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Nope, it's all 'he's a great player but in an area they're strongest'. If we signed Courtois for 35m, I'd be glad we've got a good player. It would be much better spent on an attacking wide player, though.

Goalkeeping is a different matter, though. You can only field one 'keeper. You can field three or four midfielders or attackers.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Goalkeeping is a different matter' date=' though. You can only field one 'keeper. You can field three or four midfielders or attackers.[/quote']

The point being there's a glaring weakness, buying in the strongest area might improve them a little. Buying where they're weak would improve them much more.

I mean, surely the point a few are making here is obvious? It seems pretty reasonable. He's a quality player, and if he was joining them with a few others, is be worried.

I admit that I was gullible and was sold on the talk of 'competition' for the goalkeeping spot between Reina and £9M Mignolet. We then sent Reina out on loan (presumably because we couldn't sell him). If it's around £16-18M for Sakho, is he to be considered competition for either Skrtel or Agger? I'm worried that we're trying to sell one of those two, and I think Agger would have the bigger price tag of the pair.

As I was saying earlier, we could try Sakho in midfield, where he seems suitable too. But there's now way we will part with Agger.

The point being there's a glaring weakness, buying in the strongest area might improve them a little. Buying where they're weak would improve them much more.

I mean, surely the point a few are making here is obvious? It seems pretty reasonable. He's a quality player, and if he was joining them with a few others, is be worried.

Exactly. Aren't most of us saying we want a quality attacker despite having Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez?

Ozil will improve their attack more than just a little, I'd imagine.

Also, you don't know who else Arsenal are going to bring in.

Just watching SSN and watching Bales press conference. They are translating Bales comments into Spanish !! He is probably wondering what he has let himself in for by now.They will slaughter him if he doesn't hit the ground running.

In earlier news Mr Potato Head has obviously spent his summer holiday chowing down.

He is one fucking massive gut-bucket these days

Just watching SSN and watching Bales press conference. They are translating Bales comments into Spanish !! He is probably wondering what he has let himself in for by now.They will slaughter him if he doesn't hit the ground running.

In earlier news Mr Potato Head has obviously spent his summer holiday chowing down.

He is one fucking massive gut-bucket these days

I'm sure at 300k a week he'll survive any issues.

Best offense is the best defense. If I was an arsenal fan who knew that the defense was not good enough and plagued with injuries, ill feel shit that it wasn't reinforced.

But arsenal played cazorla and walcott as wingers against spurs, and seeing how cazorla isn't even a winger, I can see why ozil was brought in. Their gonna have a much more potent attack, and with better deliveries to giroud now, it's actually quite a tough one to handle.

Think people continue to under estimate arsenal, they still beat spurs yesterday without potential nre signings they could add today.

Nobody underestimates them, they're Arsenal, they're alright.

They've got the same squad as last season, (minus Gervinho, Chamakh, Mannone, Squillaci, Djourou, Arshavin, Andre Santos, Denilson) and they've brought in Sanogo and Ozil.

I'm still not worried about them performing much above their usual level, which is 'alright'.

I don't think there is a down side to signing Ozil is there? Great player.

Yeah, he's a great player, but the downside is the opportunity cost.

That money could have bought Begovic and Fernando Reges, plus had some left over. So, while it's true that Ozil improves them, as others have pointed out, he doesn't improve them as much as that 45 million could have improved them if spent elsewhere.