You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd and Referee influence

Red Phoenix

I've been reading Dave's book covering last season - 'Like I Say' - recently and have almost finished it. Dave mentioned that the Mancs hadn't conceded a penalty or had a man sent off all season, up to the point where they clinched the league. He predicted that refs would balance things out a bit now their games had nothing riding on them. Lo and behold, Rafael got sent off against Chelsea for kicking David Luiz (who'd made a meal of it). If that match had been played when it actually mattered to the Mancs, that would never have happened.

It's normal for fans to think that certain other clubs get preferential treatment from refs, but some of the shit the Mancs get away with is absolutely laughable. When the head of the referees organisation is Mike Riley, the whole profession of refereeing in this country is bang in trouble. Americans should be familiar with the concept - after all, they once voted a greedy arrogant dipshit into the White House and then wondered why things went so pear-shaped under his watch.

It's either shithousery or corruption, neither of which is especially palatable.

Your pundit apologists on Morons of the Day will talk about refereeing being tough, but that can't explain an incident like this, which the referee sees clearly.

If you kick another player, it's a red card. No ifs, no buts. This is a case of the referee actively IGNORING the rules to the benefit of Manchester United. It cannot be defended or innocently explained away.

Was meant to rep this. Sorry Stronts. Suasage fingers acting like a petulant Rooney kick.

Guest San Don

so how exactly can the ref see the Rooney incident today and only deem it a yellow?

and on an unrelated note to todays game I've just learnt that they haven't had a penalty against them in the league since December 2011, in the same time they've won 16, now I know any side at the top end of the league will have more go their way than against but thats fucking ridiculous!

That statistic proves something is wrong. You would be hard pushed I reckon to find any other team, including ourselves in our pomp, who could have a 16 - 0 penalty awards in their favour.

But, as rodgers said yesterday, if Suarez had of made that tackle, he'd have been off. Its the old favouritism \ give a dog a bad name edict.

A couple of seasons ago, dot cotton should have been sent off against stoke away. The ref only gave him a yellow. ferguson's legacy will last a while yet unfortunately.

It's a fine line between shithousery and cheating. While a decision like that today, and something like the linesman putting his flag up last year at Goodison and the time Oliver didn't give Fulham a clear penalty against United, isn't out and out corruption in that I don't think the referee/linesman deliberately cheated, it's still not giving a decision you know to be correct out of wanting to take the easy way out. That's not acceptable either and it's a very fine line

I am guessing that the ones saying ref s giving United penos when they shouldnt and not giving other teams penos against them, never went to the game in the mid 70 s and 80s.

We use to get given penos very dubious ones all the time and infact I cant even begin to think how many penos Phil Neal missed only for the ref to order it retaken.

Sometimes influence is present, but unstated:

Malky Mackay has praised Neil Swarbrick after the referee opted to show Wayne Rooney a yellow card rather than a red when the Manchester United forward kicked Jordon Mutch from behind in the 2-2 draw at Cardiff City on Sunday.

His player gets clattered in the face and this is what he comes out with. That's to lick United's arse, not to protect his own players.

His player gets clattered in the face and this is what he comes out with. That's to lick United's arse, not to protect his own players.

Na he's just being clever.  United aren't his rivals so why wouldn't he want Rooney playing against other teams?  It doesn't benefit him in any way.  There is that and the fact if he starts asking for retrospective punishment then Medel could end up getting banned as well for his slap.

Premier League is the most corrupt League in the world. But British are the champions in hypocritcy so corruption will not be tackled for many years, but when it eventually gets exposed everyone will look shocked. Hypocrites.

Can also someone explain to me, why is Rooney so ugly? He should invest some of his bloodmoney on an expensive cosmetic job for a new face.

He's probably the first person to ever have his hair implants falling off. He's balding again.

I think he said it so Medal would not also get retrospective action for taking a swing at Fellaini's face. He probably doesn't want Medal banned for 3 games and Rooney getting banned for 3 games now is of no benefit to Cardiff anymore.

I think he said it so Medal would not also get retrospective action for taking a swing at Fellaini's face. He probably doesn't want Medal banned for 3 games and Rooney getting banned for 3 games now is of no benefit to Cardiff anymore.

Dont think any action can be taken against Shrek as he was given a Yellow

Medal could be in trouble

I thought they changed that rule this year? Now they can look into an incident and give a ban if they see it as something really bad/violent?

Not sure mate.  Rooneys challege was definitely a red card but was it bad enough to retropectively punish him further ? I am trying , with some difficulty to be obective here , but I dont think it was anywhere near as bad as Mirallas assault on Suarez. That was deliberate and calculated. Shrek was tussling with the defender and kicked out after the other fella got an arm across him. There was some provoation which is not an excuse but probably enough mitigation to save him from further action.  MIrallas on the other hand should be stoned to death.

In all honestly, Rooney's challenge just wasn't that bad.

Red card? yes. But I've seen plenty worse.... you need only see the derby at the weekend to know that. Mirallas's challenge was far worse imo, and although the FA like to come out with "the ref saw it, therefore we can't act" - that's a blatant lie. There is no rule preventing it, and they did precisely that with Michael Ball whilst at City for a truly shocking tackle which was seen and punished by the ref, but increased afterwards (rightly so).

For me, Rooney's kick out was petulant frustration, but you can still do some damage in kicking an ankle like that, and since it was wilfill ... it's a red for me.

But let's not forget... this is the nature of Rooney.... it beggars belief he went an entire season without being booked. THAT is far more questionable in my mind!

Errata - it was Ben Thatcher who got done retrospectively.

It's a load of bollocks.... Fowler9's right... the FA make it up as they go along.

Ben Thatcher got an 8 game retrospective ban - for an elbow. He was given a yellow at the time. He was rightly banned too - it was one of the all time shocking challenges.

So.. IF the FA want to, they can. They simply choose not to.

In recent years, when presented with the Thatcher case, the FA have responded with 'that was a one off'.

• 1 year later...

Not quite Always bold - just when I want to do it - Here's me in one of my odder moods Not doing the bold; Basically? Below 'tis my opinion of the whole United/Ferguson/FA/Referees debacle & believe me? It Is a debacle & then some...............

The Guest? " the only time this will not be seen as just some stupid conspiracy theory is when somebody actually sits down and makes comparisons. It's all well saying a certain ref hasn't been involved in a Utd game for years etc but you need to compare this with all the refs and all the clubs."

Someone Did do - Here; The Dim in Beirut

There's about 3/4 articles all specifically focused on Just what you're speaking about around halfway down the page? Very informative but immediately shouted down by Manc's & unbelievers - naturally....

And BTW? The rant Wasn't a 'rant' per se - it was a critique & unlike Keegan crapping himself in public all those years ago? It worked; In their game vs Chelsea the next day? United might have come out on top 3-0 due to Chelsea being beyond awful under Scolari but? Just before their first goal? They had a goal disallowed & a stonewall penalty turned down, then months later when We played at the OT dump? We got a pen' And a Red Card in our favour - it was a surgically timed blow aimed at a game at OT (ours) months away & to cause as much disruption for Them? As possible in the meantime (which it Would have done had Chelsea defended properly in That game the day after) In that respect? It worked & then some. You only have to look at How much it scared the FA into tightening the rules on commenting re' officials but somehow forgetting to do so for Him & his mob rather conveniently;

Anyway IMO? With that One outburst? Rafa' hit Far nearer to the mark than he ever knew. The reason Fergie & his mob ridicule it (& Rafa') even now? Is because he came That close to unmasking them for what they really are & stripping away their odious powers re' officials in public & doing that? Would have changed things here forever & in spite of all the opposition, the smear jobs, the late goals (for & against) the final (doomed) charge at Stamford Bridge in the CL & all it took out of us re' the PL. In spite of it all? We So nearly did it - that team might have failed but? Theirs was a heroic failure that puts their 3 successors (& no doubt this 4th) in the 3 & 1/2 seasons since? Utterly to shame...........

Don't forget? Reinstate Gerrard's goal at Home v Stoke (in Sept' 2008 - the Home game with them BTW? Not the away game in Jan' 2009 as some have mistakenly put on here - he only hit the post at the end of that one)? And we're only 1 point off the title - stop Cahill scoring Right at the end of the League Derby in January on top of that? And Gerrard's exocet missile into the Everton net in the second half? Would have been The one that won us that title come May 2009.............

Yes, the margins really are That fine & anyone blaming Rafa' & Only him for something that was probably decided in August 2008 & (certainly) orchestrated against us from around September onwards of that year with the likes of the press, Manc's & allies & most of the rest of the English game against us? Is most certainly in the wrong - Rafa' did All he could & more - he fought like fury to win that title in particular & brought us So close - I was So proud of the team that season & always will be for what they tried their hearts out for & whatever the record books say? I Know we were the best side in England that year - by a country mile.............

But in the end? You can't overcome Them & their influence without removing it All at source - until that's done? It'll Always be "another season, nothing changes" So Who I wonder is finally Going to play Kingmaker & king breaker & remove Him from office for good & all time - for without that happening? Any other changes are only transitory & cannot be permanent. Until then? We might as well whistle in the wind & whilst They like it that way? Many including myself have had more than enough of this & it's about time something was done. Will say one thing though before I go?

The sight of not just A Liverpool but a Liverpool reliving their past & making a final charge for the league towards May? Clearly scared some people in English Football - All the trouble we've had re' officials & all the 'smear jobs', hatchet jobs & constant media attacks? since May 2009? Have started Since then & the beginning of the following (2009/2010) season &? They've got steadily worse reaching their utter nadir this year with the "no penalties for Liverpool barring murder in the box" rule apparently now being enforced - You ask me? As I said it's No coincidence that All these problems - began back in August 2009 - not a coincidence at all..........

NB And BTW The Guest? Try Reading the link in depth? there's at least 3 (I counted) articles on this subject in particular on there somewhere & on one of them? He does indeed compare some reffing stats from United to others in direct opposition to them (including us one season) the results are rather surprising - or not depending on your point of view -they didn't surprise me - just confirmed pretty much? Something/a trend that I (& no doubt many others) had guessed is occurring all along & which? Is far to common to be anything like mere coincidence. As to us? Said it before on this post & will say it again one last time? The fact our troubles doubled & just got worse re officialdom from August 2009 onwards to the nadir of the present day re' us? Is anything But a coincidence & unfortunately? Our club have anything but the mentality needed to combat such blatant bias - sad but? That's the way it is right now & it doesn't look like changing anytime soon............

A shadow looms large.

And? it's red....

Welcome back, sir!