You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
What ever happened to appointing managers that were qualified, that don't need time to settle.

Oh yeah we don't do that because it can be expensive. Sorry my expectations accidentally rose a little then.

It would have been cheaper to keep Kenny. It'd been cheaper to get in LvG. Say what you want about FSG, but I don't think it's a fair shout to claim Rodgers' appointment was to do with money.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davelfc
It would have been cheaper to keep Kenny. It'd been cheaper to get in LvG. Say what you want about FSG, but I don't think it's a fair shout to claim Rodgers' appointment was to do with money.

Hey we are where we are, he is what we have and we have to accept it. We don't have to enjoy it. I really want him to do well, I really really do.

I was answering the xerxes 3000's comment that he needs time to settle. Lamenting that we didn't go for a manager that would already be settled in Europe.

I disagree with you about the money side, the wage bill was drastically lowered and the squad cut to the bone. Our season was scuppered before it could get started and coincidentally that has allowed a ready made excuse to be used.

Rodgers has been saying that he wants us to progress in the competition, but his actions don't back up his rhetoric.

I personally DON'T think he wants us to progress in the competition at all. I think we wants to totally focus on the Premier League, and possibly make an effort in the F.A. Cup.

Whatever his reasoning for this approach to the season, I see it as an excuse, to keep the pressure off him, which may sound like a contradiction, but he isn't a manager with any experience at playing a strong squad in four competitions at once (three domestic and one European) let alone a weak squad (which some might debate), so yes, early exits in two comps means he can relax a bit and not have to deal with complications.

Regardless of his public persona as Mr Laid Back, underneath, he'll be feeling the heat.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'm saying his appointment wasn't to do with money. Personally, if I were a multi-billionaire and bought the club, I'd have rid us of those taking shit loads of money from us but giving us little in return. That's not about money, that's good footballing practice. Why pay a group of players like Carroll, Aquilani, Kuyt, Bellamy, Maxi the best part of 0.5m per week - 20 odd million a year - to score about five or ten goals in the league?

Getting rid isn't the wrong part. It's whether or not they stump up the funds for quality to replace them. If they do, the team will improve dramatically. If they don't...

But yeah, LvG wouldn't have had wasters here either. No chance. Why would he want to see money he could be spending on good players going to players who don't contribute?

Not in the long term. We'd probably have another £30mill/£40mill of shite to shift from his summer dealings.

What ever happened to appointing managers that were qualified, that don't need time to settle.

Oh yeah we don't do that because it can be expensive. Sorry my expectations accidentally rose a little then.

The reason xerxes loves Rodgers so much is their lingua franca, Empty Bullshit Business Speak. Going forward, there will be verbiage galore! I reckon Brendan too announces to all and sundry when he returns home: "Just back from the match", the sharkfaced cunt.

But seriously, quit living in the past and start going forward, brah.

We were too complacent after going 2-1 up.

That has not only cost us the win and qualification with 1 game to spare. It means we will have to take a 1st team squad to Udinese to try to qualify and that means we'll be knackered for the away match against West Ham, which isn't an easy game anyway.

And Udinese I suspect will play a 1st team squad against us unlike in the other games because they want to put their players up in the shop window so they

an sell them on for big money.

Complacency! Typical of us now really. Game after game we give away a lead and draw or lose. We don't seem to learn. Makes you yonder what Rodgers coaches into the boys day in day out.

The reason xerxes loves Rodgers so much is their lingua franca, Empty Bullshit Business Speak. .

You are wrong.

I back Rodgers because he is our manager- it is the Liverpool Way. It is also common sense, four managers in two years has damaged us, five in three will damage us further.

For the record, I think that Rodgers was, and is, a high risk appointment- but one I hope comes off, for the sake of LFC. FSG would have increased the odds of our future success considerably by appointing a more experienced manager, an experienced DOF and an experienced CEO- but they didn’t.

There is no point in bleating about it. The irony that your words and analysis are as empty as the rhetoric which you ( rightly) mock is lost on you.

Rodgers appointment wasnt about money but power.

Hiring LVG/Rafa/etc would have meant them having to concede power. Not to call him a patsy but Rodgers doesnt seem the type to stir up a fuss. He seems overjoyed that hes here in the first place.

Managers like LVG and Rafa would demand funds - and rightly so - and do everything to push for improvement.

You are wrong.

I back Rodgers because he is our manager- it is the Liverpool Way. It is also common sense, four managers in two years has damaged us, five in three will damage us further.

For the record, I think that Rodgers was, and is, a high risk appointment- but one I hope comes off, for the sake of LFC. FSG would have increased the odds of our future success considerably by appointing a more experienced manager, an experienced DOF and an experienced CEO- but they didn’t.

There is no point in bleating about it. The irony that your words and analysis are as empty as the rhetoric which you ( rightly) mock is lost on you.

Yet you continue to do so.

Rodgers appointment wasnt about money but power.

Hiring LVG/Rafa/etc would have meant them having to concede power. Not to call him a patsy but Rodgers doesnt seem the type to stir up a fuss. He seems overjoyed that hes here in the first place.

I agree.

Rodgers was about the only manager with less Pl experience than Ian Ayre. FSG are terrified at being exposed and found out, hence no LVG, Barwick or KK on the Board.

Beating Fiorentina at home would have been a start.

You do understand that that is more of a feat than beating Young Boys, right?

If you do (I hope you do), your assertion that we shouldn't forget how bad our last season in Europe with Rafa was (in relation to this result) makes no sense. However bad it was, probably would have beaten Young Boys at home.

Not necessarily a measure of either coach, though, in my opinion. Entirely different teams which entirely different levels of experience.

You are wrong.

Shut up you boring sod.

The buck stops with Rodgers same as it does with any manager, but it's been a serious kick in the stones for him that Reina and Gerrard have been so poor this season.

By comparison, Carra's lost a few yards which gets him in trouble from time to time but his commitment to the cause and willingness to lead is still immaculate. We could and should be getting a lot more from the other two.

On the plus side, news is breaking tonight that the writers of Sons of Anarchy were hugely impressed with Ian Ayre's hog cameo in Being Liverpool and have offered him a minor role in the next season which should add to both our income stream and global appeal.

I'm not a huge fan of making sweeping generalisations, but in most years lots of people would be falling over themselves to say how little this competition matters to them. Is it being used as a bit of a stick?

I dont really think so.

I think people are just trying to assess where we are - and its quite hard. Closing out that game would have given everybody a fair bit of confidence in the maturity of the squad.

As it is, I think we are more than a striker or two away from challenging for the top four.

Our defence once again...

I'll be very disappointed if we exit Europa League at this stage. It's a decent competition which will become more interesting in the next stages. It provides an excellent setting for our young players to gain experiences, progress and strenghten their confidence. It's less stressful than the Champions League. The UEFA cup back in 2001 it was an amazing experience for Gerrard, Owen et al.