You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

Guest Numero Veinticinco
So your writing Lucas off?

No.

He's the best DMF in the premiership if not the world.

I think you need to watch more football before you say daft things like that.

Rodgers has just said we don't have a lot of money to do anything else in the window.

What else do we really need to do though? Sturridge is the extra forward we needed but apart from possibly left back, I can't see where else we are stuck for players? Granted the quality isn't exactly world class in all areas but we are still covered.

Whilst that might be true, I've had the feeling that he/we are trying to downplay our financial strength in order to not get fucked in deals like we have so often.

I think he would rather come out and say "we're not doing anything, we are paupers" than "we really want to sign more players and we're flush with cash".

Dont think Rodgers would come out and say, 'yeah we have a lot of money to do more business'...

I dont know what kind of money we realistically have. But we do know we missed out on at least two targets on deadline day, Dempsey being one and another who probably was not Sturridge, considering that deal had seemed dead for longer. We also significantly cut the wage bill with Doni, Kuyt, Aquilani, Bellamy, Maxi and Carroll leaving. So we oughta have plenty money still if not for transfer fee's certainly for wages which should open up loan deals. What's more is the new TV deal kicks in next year. The teams who will earn the least will get roughly what Chelsea got for their Cl run and win.

Not sure he deserves anymore money at the moment.

He spent £30 million in the summer, has spent an additional £12 million on Sturridge and then what we will probably pay for Ince which will be between £4 - £6 million going by reports. That's £46 - £48 million he's had since taking over. Let's see what he can do with that before giving him loads to spend.

We've also had to pay off Cole, Aquilani etc... so FSG are spending and I think given our league position are well within their rights not to spend too much more in January.

He spent £30 million in the summer, has spent an additional £12 million on Sturridge and then what we will probably pay for Ince which will be between £4 - £6 million going by reports. That's £46 - £48 million he's had since taking over. Let's see what he can do with that before giving him loads to spend.

We've also had to pay off Cole, Aquilani etc... so FSG are spending and I think given our league position are well within their rights not to spend too much more in January.

Deserves ?

They need to do all in their power for us to try and catch up with the teams infront of us, no...?

You have to take into account as well what the teams we are trying to catch have spent and done with their squads. Utd and Chelsea outspend us. City spent roughly the same as us while already having a vastly superior squad. Arsenal and Tottenham got massive fee's for their two best players which enabled them to strengthen their squads overall. We also cut our wage bill quite significantly. So in reality we have not done much to catch the teams infront of us in terms of spending. If we have money Rodgers should be given full backing, not be forced to prove himself with one arm tied behind his back first.

Anyway, if we bring in Ince and add a one or two good loan signings to that, i'll be happy with the backing he's got. But if the owners are witholding funds because they are unsure about Rodgers it's piss poor IMO.

Deserves ?

They need to do all in their power for us to try and catch up with the teams infront of us, no...?

You have to take into account as well what the teams we are trying to catch have spent and done with their squads. Utd and Chelsea outspend us. City spent roughly the same as us while already having a vastly superior squad. Arsenal and Tottenham got massive fee's for their two best players which enabled them to strengthen their squads overall. We also cut our wage bill quite significantly. So in reality we have not done much to catch the teams infront of us in terms of spending. If we have money Rodgers should be given full backing, not be forced to prove himself with one arm tied behind his back first.

Anyway, if we bring in Ince and add a one or two good loan signings to that, i'll be happy with the backing he's got. But if the owners are witholding funds because they are unsure about Rodgers it's piss poor IMO.

Yes deserves.

We can't just throw money away. Rodgers has had enough funds to try and bridge the gap and get us competing for top four. Let's see if he can do that and make us improve before assessing where we need to improve in the summer.

Thus far his signings haven't improved us IMO. Sturridge is his first signing where I think he will make a positive impact in helping us to win games and improve a clear problem area.

Smart way to operate would be to understate what our plans are and complete our business behind closed doors. However going on the clubs current form I reckon that when he says there's no more money to spend he means it.

That's my take on it as well.

Removed them from the wage bill you mean? Mid/Long term actually saving FSG money.

Given our league position spending is exactly what we need to do.

I sort of agree, I don't think its a good idea to try and bring in a ton of players each window. One or two would be ideal, you need to focus on developing them.

and we have done, we got Sturridge to help solve our biggest problem and probably will get Ince.

Let's see how they get on and how well Borini does and assess it again in the summer where we need to strengthen.

I think we are evolving..... Into Everton.

They have spent but its been minimal and for players who want minimum. This team needs serious investment and they won't do it. Last January we bought no one despite crying for it then last summer was a farce and now this window we have no money. At the end this window with just Sturridge I reckon FSG ambition extends as far as who gives a fuck just let the club tick along.

Removed them from the wage bill you mean? Mid/Long term actually saving FSG money.

Whatever about other examples, I don't think Aquilani and Cole can be lumped into a 'removed from the wage bill' label as it cost so much just to get rid of them and any savings made are only notional.

Both of those would be contenders for the most horrific transfer dealings of any club over the past decade. The sad thing is, they'd have a few ex-Liverpool team-mates for company in any top ten list.