You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

Would be David Villa for me.

Clearly I am talking outside of the completely unrealistic Messi, Ronaldo, etc. Villa to me is still unlikely but not out of the question.

Not playing regularly for Barca, best mates with Reina, 31 in December so transfer fee shouldn't be ridiculous.

Everything about it would be ideal for me. Experienced winner to help develop young players, goalscorer to relieve burden on Luis (who despite all criticism is on track for 20 league goals this season), can also play left side so capable of switching places with Suarez.

Two questions I guess. Would he join? May think he can force his way back in at Barca and if not, may still be looking for Champions League club.

Would FSG stump up money for 31 year old. Goes against their principles even if he would make a massive difference over the next 2-3 years.

Please Brendan-make it happen

A goalscoring right winger. Thomas Muller would be ideal, but he wouldn't join us. Maybe Mario Gotze instead?

I'd say Muller is far more likely that Gotze, Muller was seemingly willing to join Inter in the summer who are in a similar situation to us at the moment whilst Gotze is likely to have a pick of clubs although I think Muller is playing again at Bayern now so would most likely stay there

I'd be happy enough with someone like Klose

Mint? Are we having lamb?

I suspect we will be looking at players whose contracts will be up in the summer.

Walcott, Sturridge ... couple of possibilities there.

I wouldn't mind checking on the availability of Dzeko at City, if they buy another star striker in the Transfer Window.

Good goal to game ratio,work ethic and has proven Premier League experience.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I like him too' date=' but I don't think we're shopping in those kind of shops.[/quote']

Almost certainly not. This is why, despite the likes of Code denying it, being in the Champions League is more important to our long term success than the League Cup.

also would be good for us to have a go at getting Giuseppe Rossi if he is fit by then, was getting linked with Barca and Juve etc for about 25million about 18months back but has had some bad injuries since and doubt they are still interested still and with Villarreal relegated as well as having had a lot of financial troubles (I think) might not cost the world now

He seemed quite pissed off yesterday after being called a supersub. Looks like he wants a lot more first team football. Might cost a bit, but Edin Dzeko? Knows where the back of the net is. Technically good.

He is perceived as a "big man up front", but I think he is very mobile. Links up with the midfield well at City. Wouldn't slow our game down or make us revert to a more direct style of play like Carroll did. Good finisher, good in the air, proven in the Premier League.

I think he would be a great signing.

Sturridge or Walcott, although £15m for Sturridge would put that in doubt, Walcott would be a fair price - although he would have to be persuaded to leave Arsenal.

Zaha would have been a good choice, but for some strange reason his fee has gone through the roof! I don't see why people keep throwing players like Bent into the hat, we only play with one forward and that won't be a limited striker like Bent.

We won't be buying a first choice central striker, only cover for Suarez - that is why I think it would be a player like Sturridge who can play as part of a front 3, Dries Mertens would be my choice and I do think he is possible.

Wow are you saying we've got €40m to spend on a player.

We did spend 75m pounds on Downing, Carroll, Adam and Hendo.. So the owners have shown that they are willing to spend.

The 'committee' just didn't want to waste it on Dempsey of which I don't disagree.

It's a safe bet. We won't sign anyone above the £3-4m zone. Maybe someone desperate to go/come on loan, if we are battling relegation.

We did spend 75m pounds on Downing, Carroll, Adam and Hendo.. So the owners have shown that they are willing to spend.

The 'committee' just didn't want to waste it on Dempsey of which I don't disagree.

They have recouped £150m in fees and wages from selling, Torres, Kuyt, Bellamy, Adam, Meirelis, Babel et al and from loaning out Carroll...