You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

Joe Cole will probably want a relegation clause written into his contract right? Whos gonna want to sign him on his silly wages and then still pay him if/when they go down?

The Mirror were talking about us giving him £3.5m as a severance, which would mean he could take less off potential suitors.

Seems awful for us, but the worrying alternative is keeping him at £100k per week for another 18 months ( @ £7.5m )

Looks strong and a good finisher. Very much a central striker though.

I'm not going to YouTube scout a player as random as Gameiro, on 1 Jan.

I think it's all a conspiracy and the Times own loads of different YouTube accounts that they make money off when mugs like me view them after a name is mentioned in connection with us.

I wouldn't mind Gamiero on loan, with an option to purchase (seems we get constantly shafted this way, we should be taking this route with the big spenders who have good players on their books yet dont play them ala Dzeko). Haven't seen anything bar highlights and YouTube vids of him to be honest, but I'm all for strengthening our attacking options (Fuck knows I'm sick of seeing 3 defenders on our bench).

Does anyone here watch French footy? whats his attitude like on the pitch?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Judging by rumours, I'd go with Sturridge (done deal), Gameiro (loan + option to buy), then fuck the Ince deal off, sell a shite player or three (looking at you, Stewie) and put the money into somebody like Sissoko or Fernando. Even Diame.

That's not 'ideal', but it's not out of the realms of possibility. Sturridge, Gameiro, Diame. That'd make us much more effective. I don't even really want Diame, but we need somebody like that.

Judging by rumours, I'd go with Sturridge (done deal), Gameiro (loan + option to buy), then fuck the Ince deal off, sell a shite player or three (looking at you, Stewie) and put the money into somebody like Sissoko or Fernando. Even Diame.

That's not 'ideal', but it's not out of the realms of possibility. Sturridge, Gameiro, Diame. That'd make us much more effective. I don't even really want Diame, but we need somebody like that.

I don't feel like that is the way to do it - in fact that is exactly what we should avoid to do. It was that viewpoint which nearly landed us with Clint Dempsey.

I agree on the whole though. Leave the Ince deal (until summer, if Brendan really wants him), bring in Sturridge and an experienced attacker. Gamiero might do us but I know fuck all about him so couldn't say.

If that second attacker comes in on loan (and we get rid of some shite) then we'll have a decent amount to play with to bring in a valuable midfielder. There is no point bringing somebody who is ultimately not good enough, though. I'd rather keep that few million and put it towards a world class player in the summer.

Moving away from exactly who we acquire this summer, I'm really really pleased as to how we've acquired them. I want us to move early in the summer and I absolutely fucking fume when our club dont. What else are our scouts and Ayre doing during the season?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I see what you're saying, and don't like advocating signings players who aren't going to be good enough to challenge for a title in the coming years, but at 3.5m, he'd stop people walking through our midfield.

I'd much sooner we spent out on quality, but when money is tight, you have to make do.

I see what you're saying, and don't like advocating signings players who aren't going to be good enough to challenge for a title in the coming years, but at 3.5m, he'd stop people walking through our midfield.

I'd much sooner we spent out on quality, but when money is tight, you have to make do.

Agree, he's a stepping stone, like Rafa did with upgrading from Momo to Masch.

I think you misjudged my comment - I don't expect us to sign title winners but just players that will improve us now. As the comment above, a stepping stone.

If Diame is that then great, but as long as he is. A Momo would be perfect right now, i'm just not sure that Diame is a Momo.

(I fucking miss Momo, mind. Off to youtube him now)

Diame is a big unit but I don't think he's a destroyer in the Momo sense. At West Ham a lot of the attacking play went through him, like when we went there. 3.5m is a bargain I reckon, but do we need another goddamn midfielder? If he were to come he'd take Shelvey's role I think.

Edited by MikeC
speling

Guest Numero Veinticinco

When I say Sissoko, I'm not talking about Momo. I'm talking about Moussa. He's out of contract. Not an out-n-out destroy, but box-to-box and hard hitting enough. Recently turned 23, and available for around 8m due to his contract running out. Seems silly not to.

When I say Sissoko, I'm not talking about Momo. I'm talking about Moussa. He's out of contract. Not an out-n-out destroy, but box-to-box and hard hitting enough. Recently turned 23, and available for around 8m due to his contract running out. Seems silly not to.

I've wanted us to sign him for ages. We'll probably buy another weak imp for midfield though.

I've wanted us to sign him for ages. We'll probably buy another weak imp for midfield though.

Why bother buying big strong ball winners for midfield when we can pass the fucking death out of the ball,lose it conseed a goal then restart the game with a kickoff and pass the fuck out of the ball again without even threatening the oppositions goal?

I love to see a team passing around but whens it gonna sink in with Brendan sometimes a long/direct ball cause 10 times as many problems as 30 passes in to the edge of the 18 yard box then lose it ?.

I'd love to see sissoko arrive (either momo or moussa) but its not a rodgers type player.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The problem isn't not hoofing it long, it's that we've got no players up top who can score. When Suarez has the ball, check how many people there are in the box. None. He has to do it all himself, we're just lucky that he's THAT good and can do it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Yeah thats exactly what we need - more cm midfielders!

Oh dear, not this one again. We've got Suso, we don't need Mascherano. Good one. We have one person who can play the role, and he isn't particularly physical. In fact, we don't have any physical players outside the back four.