You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

Good I hope we don't get him. Another over-rated, over-priced Englishman.

Yeah who wants to get a striker rated by the club's manager.

I'm tired with all the "he is shit" cunts emerging every time we are strongly linked with a decent player.

But don't worry, you got Ayre on your side so he's guaranteed to destroy any potential deals with his skills incompetence.

Tony B mentioned it yesterday that there was a glitch, after briefing all the papers it was a done deal surely we couldn't mess this one up, xerexes will have a field day if Ayre balls this up..

DANIEL STURRIDGE’S move to Liverpool has broken down after talks between the player and the club collapsed.

The 23-year-old looked set to join the Merseyside outfit next month to bolster Brendan Rodgers' striking options.

Chelsea and Liverpool had agreed a fee of £10 million for the England international who finished last season as joint top-scorer with 13 goals.

Despite his exploits last term, the Champions League holders have told the forward he has no future at the club.

The former Manchester City trainee was touted as one of the country’s brightest talents in the country when he joined Chelsea three and a half years ago. But due to a consistent lack of games Sturridge has been unable to display his best form on a consistent basis.

Liverpool had been confident of securing his signature but the Team GB striker now wants to consider all options. His advisors are aware the next move of his career is crucial and they will not be rushed into choosing a club.

Sources close to the England international have strenuously denied rejecting an offer from Tottenham and Liverpool could look to resurrect the talks.

Rafa Benitez left the striker out of the game for the Premier League game against Sunderland and the player was forced to train alone, while the rest of his team-mates participated in the Club World Cup in Japan.

Chelsea have claimed the striker is injured but he insists he is fit and ready to play, if and when selected.

Talks between Daniel Sturridge and Liverpool collapse | The Voice Online

Wow, what a surprise; Spurs are in for him?

Surely there are better options available than Sturridge. I'd be hugely disappointed if him and Ince were the only signings in January.

Seems liks a strange way to spend £18M but at least I can't moan at the owners (for a while) if they are prepared to let Rodgers spend this amount of money in this window.

So how the fuck does Ince go from being a player we let go for almost nothing to somebody we are happy to pay £6M for? Somebody's going to have to explain this one to me.

Can't we just spend all the money on one player who is going to make a serious positive impact on our team and goal scoring options and be a guaranteed member of the first XI?

We have enough youth now to keep a fucking tuck shop in business for the next 5 years, surely what we need now is some proven quality?

Anyway, let's see what happens...

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Demba Ba at £7m seems like a no-brainer to me. Guarantees goals.

Loic Remy is also being linked to the Barcodes for around £10m. He'd be a great signing. Typical of them to snap him up.

That being said I think Sturridge will score goals for us. I just feel uneasy about taking £18m of gambles again.

Well, that's for two players. Part of that fee is going to be for Ince, before massive discount, and including future payments.

I agree on Ba, though; it seems like it should be done and dusted ASAP.

Demba Ba at £7m seems like a no-brainer to me. Guarantees goals.

Loic Remy is also being linked to the Barcodes for around £10m. He'd be a great signing. Typical of them to snap him up.

That being said I think Sturridge will score goals for us. I just feel uneasy about taking £18m of gambles again.

The only justification in not getting Demba Ba in is that I would guess Rodgers doesn't want to shift Suarez out wide when he is doing so well as the central striker so far this season.

It also seems that he likes his forwards to be versatile and able to play centrally, on the right or on the left (Borini, Walcott, Dempsey, Sturridge, Ince etc) which is why I would say the chances of us getting a Demba Ba or Huntelaar in January aren't great.

Just posted this in the other football thread - then immediately thought it should have gone here -

Mario Gotze just scored a hat-trick for Dortmund.

Want.

Scrape everything together we can, fuck off all the shite and just spend it all on him.

As an aside to this - i was reading about Demba Ba today and apparently he has an army of agents who will effectively double his transfer fee. He may have a £7.5m release clause but once its all sealed with a signing on fee - and the insurance for his knee's - apparently you wont get much change from £15m. Perhaps this is why the clubs are not cueing up for him.

Götze is a little bit ace, but would you leave Dortmund to come to Liverpool if you were him?

Yes, because if i were him - im a Liverpool fan.

And because i want to believe there are players out there who are not totally motivated by Aston Martin's, blinging watches and drunk slags with fake eyelashes.

Maybe we can get Sahin to have a word and tell him how comfortable to bench is at Anfield. It might seal the deal.

All of the above is moot, seeing as he signed a new deal in the summer anyway if i remember correctly.

Yes, because if i were him - im a Liverpool fan.

And because i want to believe there are players out there who are not totally motivated by Aston Martin's, blinging watches and drunk slags with fake eyelashes.

Maybe we can get Sahin to have a word and tell him how comfortable to bench is at Anfield. It might seal the deal.

All of the above is moot, seeing as he signed a new deal in the summer anyway if i remember correctly.

Whoa there!

Nothing wrong with the above, well apart from VD, which only takes a dose of make me better, they're a veritable trove of fun times them wenches.

As an aside to this - i was reading about Demba Ba today and apparently he has an army of agents who will effectively double his transfer fee. He may have a £7.5m release clause but once its all sealed with a signing on fee - and the insurance for his knee's - apparently you wont get much change from £15m. Perhaps this is why the clubs are not cueing up for him.

whilst I like Ba as a player I wouldn't want to risk it as apparently he can't pass a medical/get insured, if he can't pass a medical that Aurelio can pass then it doesn't bode well for us, and another reason would be that his agents seemingly insist on these release clauses at every club he goes to

Good I hope we don't get him. Another over-rated, over-priced Englishman.

Ditto, he couldn't make it at either Man City or Chelsea, a Bolton level player who should be playing this season alongside Jay Spearing. Really don't see what other posters see in him to want him. He is so average and solves none of our problems, another bag of cash to go down the train, it's like we never learn our lessons. But then again we have fallen so far down the line that we can only attract average players as no quality player wants to join us.

Ditto, he couldn't make it at either Man City or Chelsea

City wanted to keep him and he was only breaking through then. Bit harsh to say he didn't make it at City.

His stats are impressive at Chelsea, goals per minute. Especially when you consider he is used as a right sided player in the front three, which is what we need.

I think he'd be worth £10 - £12 million. He has the talent, he has the confidence in his ability, I just hope he can get his head down and work hard and show the right attitude, as that is his biggest question mark from what I see.

City wanted to keep him and he was only breaking through then. Bit harsh to say he didn't make it at City.

His stats are impressive at Chelsea, goals per minute. Especially when you consider he is used as a right sided player in the front three, which is what we need.

I think he'd be worth £10 - £12 million. He has the talent, he has the confidence in his ability, I just hope he can get his head down and work hard and show the right attitude, as that is his biggest question mark from what I see.

Probably is a bit harsh, but I really haven't seen anything in him to justify us buying him, he is at best a 10-12 goal a season player, a fairly decent amount perhaps, but will it make a massive difference? as we are still missing a Torres type player and an attacking goalscoring mid. Chelsea don't exactly seem too keen on keeping him if he was that good.

Stats can be deceptive too, the likes of Carroll, Downing etc had excellent stats, but they haven't turned out well for us. He also seems quite injury prone. I don't see what he could bring to us what Borini doesn't (apart from pace).